Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

favorite fish for 75 gal predator tank?

I am converting my 75 to a predator tank. I am mainly doing this because my lionfish is growing fast in my 100gal reef. I wanted a small ray, but i don't think there is enough room. So, what's everyone's favorite fish that would fit in a 75?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Harliquin tusk wrasse, colored frogfish, snake eel, cortez ray
Old 01/08/2008, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

v. lion and a SFE. I dont have one but a angler is very cool. Nice thing about all of these fish are they are not as active so a 75 can handle them.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune420
Harliquin tusk wrasse, colored frogfish, snake eel, cortez ray
NOOOO CORTEZ RAY, those need a much larger tank than a 75.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:05 AM
Art and science

orange toadfish they are cheap and you can't kill them
Old 01/09/2008, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Marine Betta, once they get over their initial shyness they are one of the coolest fish you will ever have.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:12 PM
Team RC Member

are you saying you want the lionfish and another predator(s) in the 75? If you have a volitan lionfish in your 100 gallon reef, I'm not sure a 75 will be large enough for it. Even if the 75 is fine for the lion, you'll have to consider compatibility.

A few suggestions, which are all fish I have kept, or am keeping:

Devilfish scorpion (Inimicus spp.)
Brazilian dragon moray (Muraena retifera)
Green wolf eel blenny (Congrogadus subducens)

These are some fish I consider borderline for a 75 (larger tank better):
Dog face puffer (Arothron nigropunctatus) - consider rare color morphs
Harlequin tuskfish

IMO most fish like most anglers and toadfish will do better in a smaller species tank (20, 29 or 30 gallons). Unless you keep a Commerson's angler (which get football sized) most anglers in the trade get around 4-7 inches as adults and can be kept with very few other fish. Toadfish are also very cool, but best in a 29 or 30 gallon tabk, by themselves. I had an orange toadfish for years in a 20L in my office at work. Lots of personality, but I think it would either hide from or attack tankmates...
Old 01/09/2008, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

I agree with axia55, my marine betta is probably my favorite fish. When actinics are on I think they are one of the most beautiful fish there are. Mine eats pellets, flake food, and squid out of my hand.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by willy21
I agree with axia55, my marine betta is probably my favorite fish. When actinics are on I think they are one of the most beautiful fish there are. Mine eats pellets, flake food, and squid out of my hand.
Thats cool, mine just started eating pellets in the last week or so, after having him for 9 months. His favorite food by far is pieces of squid cubes.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

All great info. Yes, I want the lion to have at least one tankmate if not more. I like the idea of the tusk fish. I really haven't considered a eel, marine betta or angler/ frogfish, but one might be cool. I don't know much about them, really. I want alot of personality, and my girl wants a "pretty one". I will consider All the fish mentioned.
Any other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

ANGLER
Old 01/10/2008, 10:21 AM
Team RC Member

anglers are among the worst tankmates for lions. if the lion is bigger, it will eat the angler. If the angler is bigger it will eat the lion. if they are the same size (which will only happen if you get a Commerson's angler) there is a good chance something bad will still happen. it is not uncommon for an angler to die trying to swallow a tankmate that is too big - in that case, both fish die. I had an angler swallow a fish twice its length once. a great reference is the angler/frogfish chapter in Reef Fishes volume 1 (by Scott Michael) for appropriate tankmates for anglers. there are very few. anglers do best in species tanks.

I think a smaller eel or *maybe* a tuskfish would be good choices.

A good reference for species information is wetwebmedia.com
And you know about Frank Marini's Lionfish care sheet from Reefkeeping stickied at the top of this forum, right?

WWM links to angler, eel, lionfish, tuskfish articles. they do a nice job of discussing compatibility and adult size, but don't always make recommendations on appropriate tank size.

Morays - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/morays.htm

Lionfish - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/lions&rels.htm
Lionfish - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i2...lionfishes.htm
quote from second lionfish article:
Quote:
the popular Pterois volitans lionfishes will require very long aquariums (>6 feet/2 meters) for growth, with less risk of stunting or dying prematurely as with smaller tanks (under 75 gallons).
Tuskfish: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fi...on/faciata.htm

Anglers: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anglerfishes.htm
the best source of information for anglers is Reef Fishes volume 1.