Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/15/2007, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

Help Me Build My 75 gal!

Hey all i am upgrading from my nano which was and id overstocked with corals! Lol. I need help im a coral junkie!
Anyway i got to tank, sand (argo), and built the stand so far. And now im in a tough situation i dont have sump (40 gal breeder) yet, and my nano just sprung a leak so i have no choice but to set my 75 up! So far everything went well with building the stand.

I know the stand isnt finished but i have no time. So i will finish it after i get it broaken in and settled. I do have one question though why is it so murkey? It wasnt like that last night so might it be not enough Live rock and too much flow? I have 2 Hydor Koralia 4's. any ideas or sedgestions?
By the way my stand sits 40" tall so its a great view point. Sorry for sloppy pics i was hoping to finish a lot before i set up the tank, however no such luck...
Well let me know what you think so far.
Thanks Tajjo
Old 12/15/2007, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

I would not use the koralias. 1 might be good for spot flow but the 2 alone arent enough for your tank. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view
Old 12/15/2007, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

So what would be your sedgestion? I was looking into the Vortech but wasnt sure if id even utalize a fraction of its capabilitys, also i was told by so many people that Koralia 4's were way too much flow. So im a but confused, i think i just going to get a vortech or 2.
Old 12/15/2007, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

I have the koralia 4's and 2 is enough for my 75g. I have a return pump which helps, but I run only one koralia now since my frogspawn doesn't like it when the other runs. Its murky probably because of the sand. It should clear up soon.
Old 12/15/2007, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

You want a high end power head , they have a flow control knob and duckbill tip for dirrection control. One thats rated a little over. Not this one per say but this or similar. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...71&pcatid=4671

Besides you can use them for water changes and you have better control. Get a #2 koralia for spot flow if needed.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view
Old 12/15/2007, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm, i think im going to stick with the koralias for now, and then later maybe upgrade if needed. I just need a ton more live rock to help the tank break in and cycle out.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Why dont you build yourslef a closed loop out of PVC to get the flow you want?
Old 12/15/2007, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

I have 2 koralia 4's and a mag 7 return pump for my 90 and have pleanty of flow. I agree that lacking a sump (or even with one), a closed loop would be of great benefit.

Try pointing your powerheads up more so they don't stir up the sand so much.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

I actully thought about it but i want a sump for a protine skimmer.
Theres a ton of little things that are holding me up, but i guess 1 by 1 ill get by each one.

Anyway im ordering a mag 12 plenty of extra flow, so that should help. The reason im going with one so big is my tank sits high. Also im only going to keep this tank for a year or 2 then im upgrading to a 210 starfire rimless if possible.
Ok i think i got it figured out about the flow.

I do have the koralia's facing straight up tward the surface. Actually this morning the tank looks a bit more clear.

My next question. Any ideas about the sump?
Old 12/15/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

I run two 3s on my tank (75)... without the end tip the flow was hard to adjust but with the flow tip they are very easy to adjust and seem much more gentle (less flow perhaps?).

So if I were to replace my 3s I would go with fours and keep the end tip in place.

Of course this all depends on what type of tank you have. SPS? LPS? Two threes aren't enough for a mostly SPS tank and fours may be too much for a mixed reef.

Also don't be intimidated when you first put them in (I was) it seems like a lot of flow at first but after a few weeks it will no longer seem that way.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

well I'm going with a mixed reed mostly Sps
Old 12/16/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Does anybody have any sugestions on a calcium reactor?
Old 12/16/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

For a sps tank you want to keep water quality high and consitant. A calcium reactor wont be needed for awile and by then you will know what you want.
Just saying as staying on and learing the basics will pay off way more then any gadgit.GL
Old 12/16/2007, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

Before you do anything more, you should replace that electrical outlet with a GFCI outlet and get a cover plate for it. It's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 12/16/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

Oh i plan on doing that bery soon