Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Inexpensive vitamins to add to fish food

I have a 55 gallon, fowlr that I am converting to reef. I also have Arag Live sand. I have a Hippo tang and yellow tang, that I want to add vitamin supplements to their fish food.

I have started to make my own home made frozen fish food. I think that with my new frozen diet, that the fish diet will improve.

However, I want to add some vitamins like vitamin C to my fish food, to give a boost to my tangs, etc. However, when I saw the price on the fish web retailers, I was thinking that maybe some vitamins can be added that may be cheaper from the drug store.

Are there appropriate (and cheap vitamin C, etc.) that I can get from the drug store, etc., to dose some Vitamin C, etc. to my fish food. I was thinking of some liquid Vitamin C, however, I think there is a short shelf life on the liquid vitamins and that they may be expensive.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks much,

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 12/20/2007, 10:48 AM
Our man in the East

A touch of fresh lemon juice provides vit C ans is very cheap
Old 12/20/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Matt,

So can I squirt 1 drop on each pinch of food daily, or is that too much.

Thank you,

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 12/20/2007, 11:02 AM
Our man in the East

I would add it to your food when you make it and mix it in. I haven't tried adding a drop to daily food but why not give it a go. Try the tiniest drop first with a few pinches of food
Old 12/20/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Matt,

That sounds great.

I am not trying to dose the food heavily for a disease, just trying to make sure my tangs get enough vegetables.

I also added this to my recipe in my log book.

Thanks much,

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 12/20/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Let's see if we can get a semiquantitative approach to dosing lemon juice. An 80 kg man requires about 200mg of Vitamin C per day. Let's assume that this scales for you tangs. A guess is that a 3inch tang weighs in at 0.085kg. Then his daily requirement of Vitamin C is about 0.25mg of Vitamin C.

Now a slice of lemon (1/8 of a 100mg lemon) would contain around 5.5 mg of Vitamin C. So you would need 1/20 of a slice of lemon per 3 in. fish. I estimated a 3in fish at 3oz based on the last time I caught my yellow tang, but this is speculative.

Adding lemon juice is a great idea as long as the fish eat it. Another thing you could consider is vitamin fortified orange juice. This would get you vitamin A and D and calcium as well. I think that products like Selcon are a rip off. With food for human consumption, at least you know the vitamin content has been accurately measured and that it is fresh. With Selcon, it's a guess as to what is in there and how long it's been sitting around. Good luck and update us if you see a difference in your fish.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Guys,

Glad I posted here. The fish web sites had vitamin C, etc., as a fortune in price.

Much appreciated for the good ideas.

Thank you.

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 12/20/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

lemon juice thats pretty interseting
Old 12/20/2007, 02:43 PM
Reef Chemist

Note that many commercial daily vitamins have a lot of phosphate in them. On the order of 150-600 mg phosphate per tablet. Centrum, 150 mg; Flintstones 300 mg; Natures Science 300 mg, etc.

300 mg phosphate will raise 300 L of water (about what's in a 100 gallon tank) to 1.0 ppm phosphate!
Old 12/20/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
Note that many commercial daily vitamins have a lot of phosphate in them. On the order of 150-600 mg phosphate per tablet. Centrum, 150 mg; Flintstones 300 mg; Natures Science 300 mg, etc.

300 mg phosphate will raise 300 L of water (about what's in a 100 gallon tank) to 1.0 ppm phosphate!
Ha that would kinda suck huh?

I have read about people soaking their food in garlic? other than ick I'm not sure what the reason would be?.. I do know that most tangs really like it though.

Lucky
Old 12/20/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

I'm going home to double check my Multivitamin now... I'm using Centrum Liquid- As I recall, it didn't show phosphate or copper on the back, and my precautionary polyfilter didn't turn green or other odd colors.

OTOH, my wife and mother-in-law independantly noticed brighter color from some fish about a week and a half after I started using it, without any knowledge or prompting that I had changed something. Purely ancedotal evidence though.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:12 AM
Reef Chemist

Centrum Liquid does contain phosphate. It also has zinc that I might not want to be dosing. Different places give slightly different ingredient lists for it, but this is from the Centrum site:

http://www.centrum.com/product_detai...M&panel=liquid

INGREDIENTS:
Purified Water, Sucrose, Ethyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Polysorbate 80, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), Ferrous Gluconate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Niacinamide, Zinc Gluconate, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Dexpanthenol, PEG Ether of Castor Oil, Manganese Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vit. B1), BHA, Riboflavin (Vit. B2), Vitamin A Palmitate, Starch, Edetic Acid (preservative), Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Dibasic Sodium Phosphate , Disodium Molybdate, Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12), BHT (preservative), Cholecalciferol (Vit. D), Silicon Dioxide, Sorbic Acid
Old 12/21/2007, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

I use freshly minced garlic with zoe and zoecon by kent let soak for couple of hours. Brand of food I use is formula one and two small pellets. Fresh garlic is cheap 1.25 for 2 whole bulbs.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
Centrum Liquid does contain phosphate. It also has zinc that I might not want to be dosing. Different places give slightly different ingredient lists for it, but this is from the Centrum site:

http://www.centrum.com/product_detai...M&panel=liquid

INGREDIENTS:
Purified Water, Sucrose, Ethyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Polysorbate 80, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), Ferrous Gluconate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Niacinamide, Zinc Gluconate, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Dexpanthenol, PEG Ether of Castor Oil, Manganese Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vit. B1), BHA, Riboflavin (Vit. B2), Vitamin A Palmitate, Starch, Edetic Acid (preservative), Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Dibasic Sodium Phosphate , Disodium Molybdate, Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12), BHT (preservative), Cholecalciferol (Vit. D), Silicon Dioxide, Sorbic Acid

What would you recommend for homemade food or for just soaking nori in.

TIA
Old 12/21/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

I use fishtamin liquid or activant tablets, both multivitamin for fish. Normally twice a week or so, mix it up with some food along with garlic guard and sometimes I add some fish oil omega3. Have worked for a years.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:08 PM
Reef Chemist

What would you recommend for homemade food or for just soaking nori in.

It isn't cheap, but Selcon may be a good choice.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:14 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Selcon works for me. I soak all my food in that.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

When you consider the cost of our fish, the price of Selcon is well worth it.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:05 PM
Huge Member

+1 on selcon

It seems to last a long time for me

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/23/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Guys,

You have provided a bunch of good stuff.

Much appreciated.

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 12/23/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

I've had good results with Kent Zoa.
Old 12/23/2007, 01:34 PM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowboarda42
+1 on selcon

It seems to last a long time for me
Selcon is good but really screws your skimmer up
Old 12/23/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Question, how do you know that Selcon is good? What's in it? What is different comparing the period where you use to when you don't use it?

Not trying to be antagonistic. I am always on the lookout for things that would benefit my fish, and would love to hear what people have to say about this product.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:14 PM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by tydtran
Question, how do you know that Selcon is good? What's in it? What is different comparing the period where you use to when you don't use it?

Not trying to be antagonistic. I am always on the lookout for things that would benefit my fish, and would love to hear what people have to say about this product.
If you have a healthy tank it is difficult to see the benefits of additives. You have healthy fish - then give them selcon or vits - you still have healthy fish.
Selcon contains alot of protein which, of course, can only be good. Whether it actually shows visible signs of its worth is a different matter.
I use selcon at the moment. Whether I will use it when it is gone - I don't know. Probably not to be honest.

Last edited by BangkokMatt; 12/23/2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12/23/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

What about vita chem?