Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2006, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

Sump or sump and fuge?

I designed my sump with 4 chambers (intake / skimmer, fuge, filter and return pump). I had been running the center as a fuge (4" DSB, rubble rock, 65w PC light). Given my recent experience I was thinking of eliminating the sand bed altogether and just running some more rock down there and tracking down some Chaeto, etc. Is this a good idea, or am I better off to run the sand bed too? The tank ahs about a 2.5" sand bed in it.

Also, Should I spend the money for a special scraper for my acrylic tank? Or is there something else I can use safely that may already be laying around the house?
Old 11/19/2006, 03:57 AM
Registered Member

I did what you are thinking of doing, I had sand in my fuge and it became a hassle when cleaning came into play.
Now that it is bare bottom It takes me seconds to clean out. You wont be hurting anything by goind BB in the fuge. You will still get worms etc.

For Acrylic I would spend the money on a scraper ment for acrylic.
Old 11/19/2006, 04:06 AM
Moved On

no need to spend the money on a scraper use a credit card
Old 11/19/2006, 04:12 AM
Registered Member

Depends on the rest of your equipment. the DSB will rid he tank of nitrates, if you have something else that will do this or no nitrate issues it might be feasble.

Even acrylic scrapers that say they are guarenteed not to scratch acrylic, will scratch your acrylic and the company offers you the $4 for the scraper, does not replace the tank or give you a fix it kit, even if they make one. Ask me how I know.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 11/19/2006, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

I would go BB in fuge as well. Get a wad of chaeto to go in there to help take up nitrates.
Old 11/19/2006, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy The Grass is Always Greener

Unlike a macro-algae filter, your DSB has the advantage of not requiring a light and light timer. In the remote DSB forums, you will find RDSB advocates (Anthony Calfo, et. al.) who believe that the unlit RDSB is far superior to macro-algae filtration.

If you are tired of cleaning a DSB refugium, consider cryptic zone refugia. A book and video CD is available at http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com/depublish.htm. In the “Advanced Topics” forum, there is a thread called “New refugium concept,” where a member started a cryptic zone refuge by accident. Cryptic zone refugia also have the advantage of not requiring a light & timer. You can also put live rocks in there.

I have a bare-bottom chaetomorpha refugium but I am not so quick to encourage others to follow suit. It does have the advantage of being able to withstand the fast water flow (~975 gph) without requiring a lot of cleaning and maintenance. I customized the refugium so water flows from the sump section underneath a glass partition to suspend the algae. Nevertheless, the same issue of keeping your refugium contents from the return is still there. A sieve (betta fish tank divider) keeps the algae from being swept into the pump chamber. Furthermore, the chaetomorpha I purchased had bits of caulerpa in it and now I have a caulerpa infestation in the main tank as well as another set of lights and timers in the refugium.
Old 11/19/2006, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Acrylic Cleaning

I use the Kent Pro-Scrapers with plastic blades and long handles. Tom makes the "Magical Cleaning Rod." There are assorted sponges and cleaning pads for use on acrylic. I notice that they are available at www.drsfostersmith.com.

Do avoid the magnetic cleaning pads. A friend of mine used one. The pad picked up a bit of sand that scratched his acrylic tank.