Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/08/2004, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

cleaning tank after polishing?

I bought a used Clarity plus tank. After I got it cleaned up I could see it looked like someone took a hatchet to it. So 16 hours later It is now looking new again. I used various wet sanding papers, rubbing compund, Novus #3 and Novus #2.

What I want to know is what is the correct way to clean this tank of any residues? Vinegar and water? Bleach and water? I dont want to poison my fish when I move them over.
Old 10/08/2004, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

re:

Greetings, I am picking up a used 150 gal acrylic tank this weekend with some scratches in the front inside. I am curious, what worked best to remove some scratches caused by falling rock, there not to deep, but very noticeable?
Old 10/08/2004, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

I ended up having to restore the entire inside surface of the tank. For smaller scrathces Novus #3 and #2 work well. If they are scratches you can feel with your finger nail you will need to resort to sanding them out. You can purchase kits with the various grades of papers, then follow with the Novus.

You can see my transformation here http://www.michiganreefers.com/forum...&threadid=8600
Old 10/08/2004, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

do not use petrolium based products ( rubbing coumpound) when I did mine (180 clarity) I used novus scratch kit sanded and pollished I rinsed with clear water then washed with soap solution rinsed well then bleach and rinsed until the water meter blew up just make sure you cant smell any bleach when your done
Old 10/08/2004, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

OK is there any way tell, or test to make sure you dont have any residues? Someone had suggested to fill the tank and run carbon through it for a while. Does this seem like overkill?

Last edited by lightngsvt; 10/08/2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10/08/2004, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

I cant suggest any test other than the old nose and lots of water