Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2004, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

polishing acrylic, help

I got my "new" tank cleaned out today and I can now see how scratched it really has! I know I added to those scratches cleaning since I had to scrape some areas.

Anyway the tank needs to be sanded and polished to look like new again. I have a scratch removal kit with papers from 1800 - 12000 grit. But they are only about 2.5"x 5" and the tank is 60x18x20!

I want to know is there any place where I can buy these "specialy" papers in larger sheets? Preferably some place open on a Sunday (HD, or Lowe's, LFS)?

Also does anyone have any recommendations on techniques? I detail cars on the side and thought about using some of my polishes / compunds but wasnt sure about residues? So Im sticking to Novus.

I tried using my buffer (wheel) and a wool pad but had some issues with the Novus #3 drying out as well as access into the tank. So I switched to my D/A polisher and a foam cutting pad, this seemed to work much better. I started with 2400 grit, then 3400-4000-6000-8000 and finished with 12k grit. Then #3 by D/A and #2 (x2) by hand. The one side I did looks soooo much better, not purfect, but very good. I want the tank to look perfect though before it comes into my house.

Also, how do I clean out the tank when done as to make sure its safe for its future inhabitants? I sure dont want any residues that could harm fish or corals?

Any ideas or help is appreciated.
Old 10/02/2004, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

www.micro-surface.com you can order the sheets directly from them. If your looking for the sanding cloth as i call it. I origonally used the stuff for polishing the paint on model cars and found out that it works for everything.

https://www.micro-surface.com/defaul...95PV&storeid=1

you might be looking for this to be specific.

the stuff works the best for me when its wet