Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/22/2004, 02:54 PM
Got Salt!

I have a yellow and purple tang in a 75gallon since september....all is well.....I realize that they will grow.....so in a year or so ill set up a new reef, a minimum of 180 to 275 gallon system, then about 5 to 10 years later ill set up one 10foot long 3 to four foot wide and depth of anyware say 24inch to 36inches depending on the wattage i choose to use for the halides.....oh and will install wind mills to take care of the electrical costs......
Old 01/22/2004, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

We need a fish that poops money.
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 01/22/2004, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

i keep a yellow, hippo, and blonde Naso in a 120. They have been getting along great now for almost a year.
Old 01/23/2004, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

I think there are many factor that have to be considered. None of us REALLY know how the fish feel - they are all in a glass box in the end!

I think you need to watch the animals and see how they are interacting and check on their health status. I also think how much rock, coral and other inhabitants make a difference.

I had a wonderful salfin in my 125 - he got too big! It broke my heart but I had to give him to someone with a much bigger system. He was healthy but he could not swim well enough - I had too live rock. As a newbie I purchased a naso from petco (two mistakes) He was a healthy fish he also got too big for my system.

My current fish situation is a long story which invovles the combing and moving of tanks but I ended up with three tangs in a 125. It is not a success story!

The hippo tang has never been a big open water swimmer - although he is a large hippo, he seems okay in the 125. I also have a smaller purple tang he also seem okay in the 125. But I did have a powder blue tang, he was small and although he had been with the purple tang for 2 years, he and the regal did not get along too well. He became weak and a little thin (I think due to stress) and recently he got trapped between my tunze stream pump and the tunze rock and died. So my view is that three tangs in a 125 is too much. I will NOT do this again.

I am not a member of the tang police! This is just my experience. As I started with - in the end they are all in glass boxes!

Connie
Old 01/23/2004, 10:12 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Just picked up my dime sized Hippo Tang from an LFS last nite. Maybe I'll see him again soon, he went right into the rockwork (lights off). I'll have to look for him when I get home
Old 01/23/2004, 01:01 PM
reef aquarium god

i wouldnt expect to see him till at least tomorrow...regals are really, really timid for a tang...even after 1.5 years, mine gets spooked when i walk in front of the tank
Old 01/23/2004, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Wow, I'd love to see a dime sized hippo tang !
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 01/24/2004, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

This may going OT, but if I go with a 125 (72x18x22?) and put in 2 - 3 tangs and some other small fish, plus a decent cleaner crew, what should I be using for filteration? Since you are suggesting using less rock, less LR = less natural filteration. My original plan was a bunch of LR and a good skimmer. Should I just figure a W/D, skimmer and possibly a fuge due to small quantity of rock? Also is there a light requirement for tangs, or a point where there is to much light for them? TIA, this has been a great thread.
Old 01/24/2004, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

I have three tangs 1 Blonde Naso, 1 Sailfin, & 1 Yellow in my 200g and they all seem very happy. Have had them in there for almost a year now.
Old 01/24/2004, 05:09 PM
Taoist Rebel

Get a really big sump and throw the extra LR in there. In my 240 I have about 90lbs in LR in the display but 200lbs in the sump and fuge.

I have 2 tangs - hippo and desjardini

Quote:
Originally posted by lightngsvt
This may going OT, but if I go with a 125 (72x18x22?) and put in 2 - 3 tangs and some other small fish, plus a decent cleaner crew, what should I be using for filteration? Since you are suggesting using less rock, less LR = less natural filteration. My original plan was a bunch of LR and a good skimmer. Should I just figure a W/D, skimmer and possibly a fuge due to small quantity of rock? Also is there a light requirement for tangs, or a point where there is to much light for them? TIA, this has been a great thread.