Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2004, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

What size tank for tangs?

I just bought a 72g, but realize that it wont be big enough. What I need to know is what size tank would I need to house 3 tangs (Hippo, white Cheek and blonde Naso), along with some othwer fish? Would a 125 be big enough (72x18x22)?
Old 01/02/2004, 06:17 PM
Moved On

I have 4 tangs - Naso, Scopas, Regal, and Yellow - in my 55gallon (yes, I know thats bad) but I am going to upgrade to a 220 or so in the near future. I have had them like this for a while and they all get along with eachother and their other tankmates. They seem happy
Old 01/02/2004, 06:21 PM
Like my pet shark?

is one yellow in a 55g fine? Some people say its ok but others dont.
Old 01/02/2004, 06:33 PM
Take My Coralline, Please

I have one yellow in my 75, and I don't see why he wouldn't be as happy in a 55 with the same 4' to swim in. Just make sure there's plenty of water flow to keep him exercised, plenty of open swimming space, and plenty of filtration to handle the massive bioload...
Old 01/02/2004, 07:06 PM
Like my pet shark?

what are other peoples opions??
Old 01/02/2004, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

I have a small Sailfin tang in my 58g. Some people will say not to put a tang in anything smaller than a 120g. Bleh. I can tell you my Sailfin is happy as can be in his home, especially at feedin' time. ;-)

I personally wouldn't put a tang in anything smaller than a 55g.
Old 01/02/2004, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Re: What size tank for tangs?

Quote:
Originally posted by lightngsvt
I just bought a 72g, but realize that it wont be big enough. What I need to know is what size tank would I need to house 3 tangs (Hippo, white Cheek and blonde Naso), along with some othwer fish? Would a 125 be big enough (72x18x22)?
I think a 125g would be fine for three tangs, but no more than three in a 125g. I know some others would disagree and say a 125g is the least could do for ONE tang. Bleh.
Old 01/02/2004, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

I have 1 hippo tang in my 85 gal. Just moved him from the 65 because i felt that he needed more room. I also think that you would be fine with three in a 125.
Old 01/02/2004, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

WOW, I can't beleive the "Tang Police" haven't jumped on the one yet.

There is a belief that a 125 is not big enough for one, let alone 3 tangs. Tangs are open ocean swimmers so they are used to swimming long distances as oposed to fish that dart in and out of the rocks.

I feel your 72 is too small for any tang. For 3 tangs a large tank with lots of room and hiding places is needed.

PS, DUCK, large flaming bombs are coming
Old 01/02/2004, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

tangs require lots of room and there is a very big difference in sizes among tangs.

i can see putting a yellow tank in a tank if its 4 ft. i cant see putting a sailfin tang in a 55. a sailfin will grow to a nearly double the size of a yellow tang.

a white cheek will be the smallest of the group, then the hippo gets slightly large and a naso can grow to be quite large.

i would look at a 6 foot tank as a minimum 8 foot being ideal. something along the lines of a 180 or up in my opinion.
Old 01/02/2004, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

so you are saying that the white cheek and hippo would be good in a 125g (6'), but not ot add the naso? Does the blonde Naso grow as large as the regular Naso? What would be a good third choice in a 6' tank?
Old 01/02/2004, 09:30 PM
Fish Yenta

It's not just swimming room, but aggressiveness. I would definately not put 3 tangs (any kind) in a 125g, but if I did I would try very hard to find tank bred tangs that will adapt to the smaller confines better. I would also be prepared to find a new and bigger home for them when they grow up.

Out of curiosity -- why are you so set on 3 tangs? Why not 2 and save the room for another cool fish? 2 smaller tangs in a long 125g -- provided they don't fight -- would probably be fine, especially if they have at least one clear path from end to end to swim in.

For 3 -- yeah, 8' long with lots of swimming room.

Needyreefer: I used to have a yellow in a tall 55g. I probably wouldn't do it again (it was a newbie fish choice), but he seemed okay. He was on the small side and I didn't have much rock in the tank but had plenty of places to hide and lots of macro to graze on. He eventually went to a bigger tank.
Old 01/02/2004, 09:35 PM
Spam Killer

I have two medium sized yellow tangs in my 100gal and they do very well. I would say that is about max based on swimming room (they can get territorial) and bioload. I think the term '**** storm' was coined after seeing a yellow tang take a turd in a fish tank.
Old 01/02/2004, 09:42 PM
REEF MEDIC

Quote:
Originally posted by tbooher
I have two medium sized yellow tangs in my 100gal and they do very well. I would say that is about max based on swimming room (they can get territorial) and bioload. I think the term '**** storm' was coined after seeing a yellow tang take a turd in a fish tank.

I agree I have a YT in my 90gal. and all it does is eat and make very large poop

" And my Wife Believed me when I said this Hobby would cost around $300"
Old 01/02/2004, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

I have a 5" yellow in a 75 and wouldn't want to see him in anything smaller.
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 01/02/2004, 10:33 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

I think a yellow tang and a white cheek would be ok in a 72, but like stated already, make sure you have lots of water flow.
I would not put a naso in anything under 200-300gal. they get very big, and swim like little torpedio's

p.s atlantic blue tangs get WAY bigger than double a yellow tang.
Old 01/03/2004, 11:44 AM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

i wouldnt put a hippo, white cheek and blonde naso anything smaller then 400 gal. You can understand what i mean by checking all of these fish's max sizes and swimming habits in nature

i wouldnt also put a yellow tang under 6' tank.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 01/22/2004, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

I had figured that if I did put 3 small tangs in a 6" tank, that I would have to find them new homes when they got big. Would that be considered a contientious (sp?) thing to do with them? Or just figure on tank size to match full grown fish size and let them live out their lives in one tank?
Old 01/22/2004, 12:10 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

yup its better to "figure on tank size to match full grown fish size and let them live out their lives in one tank"

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 01/22/2004, 12:51 PM
reef aquarium god

i have a yellow, purple, tenneti and hippo in a 367 and would not even think of adding another...out of the 4, id say the hippo, while they grow large is less active than the others and requires less swimming room...id put a small hippo in a 75 gallon..itll be at least 3 years before he outgrows it, and youll prolly wanna upgrade before then anyway
Old 01/22/2004, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Couldn't help posting this here...it's from the National Aquarium in Baltimore, MD. Tang heaven. I couldn't count 'em all. Don't know how big the tank was.

"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 01/22/2004, 01:08 PM
Moved On

wow what a pic.....

Quote:
WOW, I can't beleive the "Tang Police" haven't jumped on the one yet.
I don't think the TANG POLICE are around anymore, I think they took off and started their own forum or something, I wonder where they all went.

As far as keeping a tang in a certain sized tank, go to a LFS and look at their largest tang and try to picture it in your tank.

A 5" or 6" tang can make even the larger tanks look real small.

I'm getting a larger tank in about 2-3 weeks, because my two tangs are growing fast.
Old 01/22/2004, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Remember it is swiming room they need, so dont buy a 200 thinking you are fine then fill it to the brim with LR. If they need a 6-8 foot tank then they are going to need a 6-8 foot path to swim. Leave the front open all the way across so they have a decent swiming space
Old 01/22/2004, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

I Have one Yellow and a Sailfin in 100g tank.

Anything smaller than 100g is too small for 2 or 3 Tang´s.

We can see a lot of people with 2 or 3 tang´s in small tank. In my opinion this is to be selfish.

When folks say, my fish look happy in my 50g or 70g tank, they realy are happy or they just look happy ?

Guys, don´t be mercilless ! Tang´s need a lot os space to swim to be happy and to grow.

Roberto
Old 01/22/2004, 01:57 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I have a 125g tank 6', viewable on both sides, clear swimming paths. My 5" yellow tang was from a guy who moved, he was in a 90g originall 4' - very crowded. He moved to my 60g hex - not as crowded for a little while, and is now in the 125g. The change is great to see, he zooms along the tank. He'll fly down the tank as I walk down the hallway, catching up & flashing by in an instant. Then he stops to see if he is getting any food...
I may add a Hippo to this tank, but that's it for Tangs
I have a 180g that will be setup in the next year, have to see what goes into that