Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 02:34 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...3#post11298483
Old 12/02/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leo77
Dietger - here's some pics of whats goin on here in my mess, the big transformer on the left is the one for the MH, the one on the right is for the actinics. The LED power come from the 2 timers -uk AC/DC transformers on the right of the power bar wich has uk plugs allready and the plug straight into the light unit.
Hope it helps
Hi Leo

Thanks for this, this has cleared things up for me!

Dietger
Old 12/02/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Rue - I am curious: does your anemone sometimes make a tour of the tank, and on it's way burning half of your other corals?
I have a tiny pink anemone for the moment, and I would like to have a bigger one, but I am a bit scared what would happen if it starts walking...
Dietger
Old 12/02/2007, 02:47 PM
Professional Obfuscator

No...it only moved about an inch from where I placed her...it found a nook in the rockwork that it can withdraw into...which I think they like...and there are no near neighbours to bug it...

But I've read many stories of 'nems travelling the tank and getting into trouble...maybe they just couldn't find the right nook to settle into...

Posting my pic again...because of the thread split...

Old 12/02/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Ok, thanks, I think I might be trying one as well, and see how it goes
Old 12/02/2007, 02:54 PM
Genuine reef addict

Dietger - it looks like you get the honor of causing this thread to split again! Is this the 3rd or 4th time?

Rue - nice picture - the clown looks nice!
Old 12/02/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
Dietger - it looks like you get the honor of causing this thread to split again! Is this the 3rd or 4th time?

Rue - nice picture - the clown looks nice!
I am very honored indeed, especially since I have not been posting here as much as you guys have.
I believe this is already the 4th split, so the 5th part of this thread
I remember quite well, as I had to catch up on all threads last week
Old 12/02/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

CONGRATS TO ALL ON THE THREAD SPLIT.
Old 12/02/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy your coral looks like Euphyllia to me too. I would say it's a Torch coral Euphyllia glabrescens.

Mike
Old 12/02/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Exciting weekend, my false percs now have some company... Yesterday I let my youngest son pic a new fish... He couldn't decide between the Royal Gramma, and a very nice looking yellow coris. I caved and bought both. The gramma immediately went into a cave after acclimation, and I can see his mouth every so often, the wrasse spent most of yesterday afternoon out and about, only to go into hiding at the end of the day. He was briefly seen out and about today, but of course is hiding when the camera is out. I think my tank stock list for fish is settled:
2 x false perc
2 x scarlet cleaner shrimp
1 Yellow Coris
1 Royal Gramma
1 Firefish
1 Dwarf Angel (flame or coral beauty)
Maybe a yellow clown goby.

I am still waiting on coral additions until I get this algae issue beaten. I am winning, but it is a slow battle. I will post pics when the new inhabitants are a bit more visible.
Old 12/02/2007, 05:46 PM
Genuine reef addict

Iostream - don't blame the son for getting both fish! Sounds like nice choices.

No water change today here - I pulled something in one leg and just wasn't up to hauling buckets & jugs of SW & RO/DI water. I did manage to get a better pic of the Foxface:

The Foxface has eaten & removed all traces of Bryopsis from my Zoa colonies, but has avoided the biggest clump of it, possibly because it's too close to a stinging Euphyllia. Here's a pic of the biggest clump I had - above the fish:

I was able to pull out almost all of it this afternoon. It seemed to pull out much easier than before so maybe the increased magnesium level helped loosen its grip on the rock. And yes - I wore gloves. No more getting stung by my frogspawn and other Euphyllia!
Old 12/02/2007, 05:49 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Iostream...hard to pick just one eh? Are you worried about being overstocked at all?

Reefmack! He's adorable...I see a 55g in your future...just so you can keep him!
Old 12/02/2007, 05:54 PM
Genuine reef addict

Thanks Rue. Nope - I stop at the RSM. Too old to think about taking care of a 55 The Foxface will end up in someone elses 55 or bigger. Well, maybe after I retire ......
Old 12/02/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Rue: not too worried about being overstocked. I will be adding the Aquafuge to the back of the RSM sometime this month to increase my refugium space and help with nutrient export. Doing the mod to the back plastic wont be too hard, I just have to be really careful to keep plastic bits out of the tank itself. It would have been much easier if the tank were not filled yet.

One more question, can anyone ID the tubes in this pic? I assume they are some sort of tube worm, but I have lots of them, and I figured I should verify. Thanks in advance.

Old 12/02/2007, 06:08 PM
Professional Obfuscator

I'm just wondering...I figure I'm borderline with fish too...

2 pajama cardinals
2 ocellaris
2 green clown gobies
1 prawn goby

...but I haven't had issues yet, I don't think...at least I hope I'm all good!
Old 12/02/2007, 06:08 PM
Genuine reef addict

Iostream - I think they're a macro called Neomeris annulata. Pretty actually. Check out this link on Melev's ID site:

http://melevsreef.com/id/annulata.html

Good site to bookmark:

http://melevsreef.com/id/
Old 12/02/2007, 06:13 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Iostream! I have those too! I think they're just macro starting, aren't they?
Old 12/02/2007, 06:16 PM
Professional Obfuscator

LOL...never mind...Reefmack's got it...

...in my defense, I AM on dial-up...
Old 12/02/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Reefmack: Thanks. It seems that I have a lot of calcium based macro on this rock. Lots of Halimeda as well. I suppose dosing calcium has helped their growth a good bit.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJSavage
Y-DesygnGuy your coral looks like Euphyllia to me too. I would say it's a Torch coral Euphyllia glabrescens.

Mike
Thanks!
Old 12/02/2007, 08:03 PM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - actually I just saw that on Melev's ID site a day or two ago. I noticed a piece of it showing up in all of Laurent's recent tank shots and wondered what it was myself. Before I asked Laurent if he knew, I checked out the Melev site and there it was! At least I know my old memory is still good for a day or two of retention!

Iostream - sounds like a logical reason on the Ca based macro doing well in your tank. I noticed a few minutes ago that my tiny crop of Halimeda type on one of my zoa frags was now gone - Foxface again I guess. I didn't think they'd eat that type of algae, but I'd seen him eat a piece of two of stray chaeto so I guess they will. The thing is a real glutton! I guess I'll have to supplement the flake & mysis with some algae sheet now.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:03 PM
Excuse My French...

I got this green and brown Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata) colony from my LFS. Colorful, easy and peaceful...

Is it an Apstasia on the picture???

Old 12/02/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Laurent,

I think it's majano. I had one show up on my mushroom rock and nuked it with a syringe of hot water. It opened up a couple days later and was actually moving across the rock, so I nabbed it with turkey baster. Haven't seen anymore since.

Heard lemon Juice works, or Joe juice if you want to buy something.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:28 PM
Professional Obfuscator

I don't see one...unless it's that blur behind the candy cane...

I have 3 in my tank...that the peppermint shrimp is ignoring...soon as they get big enough that I can see their mouths I'll have to do them in I suppose...

BTW...NICE pic!
Old 12/02/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurentSeattle

Is it an Apstasia on the picture???

[
I second Hodge. Probably a Majano.

Don't know if your Peppermint will go after it. The Majano is bigger as the Aptasia.
I tried vinegar and lemon juice on Aptasia. They disappeared for a while but came back at the same spot.

"Joe juice" does quite a good job

Michael
MAXreefer