Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2005, 11:20 PM
Parapterois heterura

March: CALFO presentations Utah, Denver, Iowa

cheers, gang

I'm getting out to visit marine/reef clubs in Utah, Denver and Iowa during the first weekend in March.

If you are in the area or up for a road trip, please come along, say hi!, learn some things and make new friends

A variety of slide shows, workshops and auctions/raffles (check with each club listing for info)

kindly, Anthony

Salt Lake City Utah: Thursday March 3rd
http://www.utahreefs.com/

Denver Colorado: Saturday March 5th
http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=81

Cedar Rapids/Des Moines Iowa region: Sunday March 6th
http://www.greateriowareefsociety.com/
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=247
Old 02/03/2005, 01:43 AM
Premium Member

do you ever get to east texas or say the dallas region? I'd love to make it to one of your "parties"...errr lectures.
Old 02/03/2005, 02:13 AM
Parapterois heterura

heehee... the legend precedes

Kidding of course, but we truly have a good time. Good folks and friends chatting enthusiastically and at length about shared passions for the hobby and aquatic science.

As for Texas... I haven't been since their MASNA. I'd dearly love to make it, but as luck would have it... the couple times they've been kind enough to invite me, I've had other commitments.

FWIW... I keep my complete schedule here:
http://www.readingtrees.com/meet_the_authors.htm
Old 02/09/2005, 01:20 AM
Moved In

Wonder if hubby wants to spend our anniversary in Utah? We could celebrate separately!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/09/2005, 04:44 PM
Premiun Member

Mr. Calfo, I can hardly wait to hear you speak to our club.

Will you be discussing greenhouse aquaculture at all? I have had a greenhouse since before I got into the salt water hobby and am now thinking of setting up a tank in it. It wont be to make money, just for fun.

Maybe you can give me some brief answers to a couple of the questions I have so I can start to think things through.

Would a 400 gallon system be too hard to keep the temperature stable. In the summer the greenhouse will get into the 90s, but I was thinking about adding a swamp cooler. During the winter I use a 20,000 BTU natural gas heater. The greenhouse is only 9'x13'

Could I just mount a small tank above the heater and plumb it to the system to help keep the water warm in the winter?

Any advice on building a stand for a 180 gallon glass aquarium on soft soil?

Thanks for your time in advance!
Old 02/09/2005, 06:59 PM
Parapterois heterura

I think the meeting topic is up in the air at present. I'll bring along a half dozen or so options and we can fire one or two off on the fly.

I'm in the night before and out late afternoon the day after the meeting, so there should be plenty of time to meet and discuss your GH options. Let me ask/invite you to contact your club BOD member Adam Blundell who is coordinating this all for us. See when might be a good time for socializing. Have your pencil sharpened too
Old 02/26/2005, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Hi Anthony, Time is getting close for your visit to Salt Lake, everyone in the club are getting pretty stoked. Have you made any more plans on what you are going to be doing while you are here in Utah? Adam will probably be keeping you very busy while youre here I'm sure. I hope to meet you in person Thursday night,
Brad
Old 02/26/2005, 02:54 PM
Parapterois heterura

cheers, Brad... kind thanks

Indeed... Adam has it all planned out I gather. Its always best to leave such planning to the club BOD/host.

I'm looking forward to the visit... you won't be able to shut me up
Old 03/04/2005, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Anthony - you were an AWESOME speaker! A plethora of information. I wish we could have had more time to ask questions. I came hope with so many ideas and things I want to learn about. Thanks again.
Old 03/06/2005, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

I just wanted to say I truely benifited from the knowlage that you shared. Thanks so much for your visit. Also wanted to add that you are a very easy speaker to listen to. Unlike some that are painful.
Old 03/06/2005, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Anthony,
I attended your presentation at Kip's house in Denver. It was a pleasure to meet you and hear of your experiences in reefkeeping. I agree that using an RO/DI unit may not be environmentally sound in the western desert states being that they waste so much water. You mentioned a DI system is much more efficient in the waste water dept. Could you refer me to or have any links to a place to purchase a DI unit? Will the water this produces make good, safe drinking water as well? Any info you could provide would be appreciated.
Bill
Old 03/07/2005, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

in-freaking credible presentation here in Iowa - thanks so much Anthony!!
Old 03/08/2005, 12:16 AM
Parapterois heterura

thanks kindly... I made some great new friends, enjoyed seeing old friends... and had a blast the whole time

for DI units, most of the mid and top shelf two-column units are pretty good (similar/high quality resins). Just avoid the mixed bed (single column) units.

I've been using Kati Ani brand for about 15 years now... hard to find, but I think Drs Foster and Smith may still sell them. FWIW

best regards,

Anthony
Old 03/24/2005, 02:58 AM
Registered Member

I spose a big thanks is in order for coming out to Iowa.
I am new to the hobby and you helped me and my friend figure out many of our issues.

So thanks again Anthony = )
PS your book has a funny smell to it, i cant figure out what it is!
Old 03/24/2005, 03:01 AM
Parapterois heterura

ah, thanks kindly... my pleasure (the visit... not the smell to the book. I cannot explain the latter).