Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Mixing

When mixing saltwater for a water change is it alright to keep some extra in a sealed bucket? and how long would i be able to keep it? i would like to have some extra just so if/when probably do a drip method to add a new fish i could just add some water that was lost to the tank.

also is it alright to use reef salt in a currently fish only tank (working on live rock, gets expensive fast)
Old 01/09/2008, 02:11 AM
Moved On

Ya not gonna get alot of help posting threads like that.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

In a 55, you won't see enough lost during drip acclimation to really need a reserve of salt water.

If you do want to keep a reserve of salt water, it should not be kept sealed. The sw should be kept at least moving with a pump and aerated to keep it oxygenated.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

connection messed up, i have a packet sniffer that basicly said packets were sent, no reply resend until reply, i use it to monitor my server. is there a way to delete all the reposts?
Old 01/09/2008, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

Is better to mix only what your going to use. The fish really dont care what type salt you use its the control of ammonia from water changes that benifits them most.If you plan on going reef then changing to a salt that help with coral would only benifit.
Fish can be alot more tolerant to water quality then coral so if you dont have a test kit for the water then this would be best.Be sure water condition in in order before adding coral.
With that said LR with proper flow is your best bio filter.It will help control ammonia and nitrate by converting it into harmless nitrogen,Just another tool we use for water quality control.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:38 AM
Reef Chemist

It is fine to store freshly made artificial seawater without any stirring or heating, assuming the water you made it from war adequately pure. I store 88 gallons at a time in a closed trash can.

Used tank water is another story. It must be kept aerated or organics in it will be consumed by bacteria, potentially producing harmful substances such as hydrogen sulfide.