Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

NICE find

I just went to a LFS and got a very good deal on a Neso tang, 2 I think they are frog spowns maybe a hammer, and some SPS i think. Not sure. But, the frogspown was not doing so well in his tank but I can bring it back to health. The Tang also looked skinny. I got them home diped them for about 45 mins and Put them in the tank. The Tang just started eating like crasy. I was very happy and the other corals are doing VERY good. I am so happy. Anyway here is some pictures. I have some ick I need to get off the tang as well. But, that is the easy part!! Can you tell me what the SPS is?

This pic was taken about 10 mins after putting them in my frag tank.

Frogspown or hammer? Looks to be a diffrent shape than my hammer but the same colors.

The other one.

What is this?

Not bad for $79.46 haha. The fish would cost me almost that.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

you put the tang in the tank knowing it had ich?

the LPS is a hammer, and the SPS looks to be a monti.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

i dont think its a monti it has a mouth its hard to tell
Old 12/21/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zooloo
i dont think its a monti it has a mouth its hard to tell
yeah I was thinking the same after looking at it after I posted. it is starting to look more like an LPS coral rather then an SPS. like a plate of Fungia
Old 12/21/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

or a big mushie
Old 12/21/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I put in my tank knowing it had Ick. It is a frag tank. I dont have problem with ick because I just dose with garlic. Works amazing. My corals seem to love it. I have used it for years. The ick will be gone in 2 days tops. Anyway, I am tinking LPS also. I just want to ID it so I know for sure how to care/frag if I can. It is about 4 inches across. The skelly it is growing from is amazing. It is about 6 inch thick. Layers and layers from the years of growth. It tells a nice history.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Chalice?
Old 12/21/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

The first pic is a frogspown. The second is hammer. They are blooming out real good now. Easy to tell.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

garlic "will not" kill ich. but will help keep the fish eating.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Do some research. It keeps them from staying on the fish. That in turn kills the Ick. Same in humans and mosquito.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

no actully it keeps the fish eating in turn helping the fish to fight it off. but I guarentee if you put ich on garlic it won't die and will not leave just beacuse it is garlic.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Garlic is a VERY powerfull Natural antibiotic. It helps fight infection and makes the fish tast bad.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Also I bet if you put ick on garlic it will not bite it but once maybe. Haha
Old 12/22/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

but my point is if the fish isn't heathy enough the ich isn't gonna leave even by feeding garlic. wich is why I say "garlic will not kill ich"
Old 12/22/2007, 12:11 AM
Zoa Fanatic

Buying a skinny disease infested specimine won't get you far in this hobby.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

OO ic. Yes, If the fish is not eating it will die. Rather it be lack of food. Or what ever may gets it first.
So as long as the fish is eating and ingest the garlic, in my experence, the fish Will live. I have got many fish that where almost dead with ick. I will nearse them back to heath and Bam a NICE fish for only $15 or $20 that normaly sells for ALOT more.

I add it in a liquid form. I add 5 ml per 50 gallons. If I see any Ick I do this every day for about a month and it is gone.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

now a month of treating with garlic for the ich to leave? before you said 2 days tops

lol just messin with ya but injesting the garlic still has nothing to do with killing the ich or making the ich leave. it just helps the fish eat while fighting off the ich. if the fish eats well without using garlic it will still have the same outcome as using garlic. in turn proves that garlic has nothing to do with the ich.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zma21
Buying a skinny disease infested specimine won't get you far in this hobby.

I wish you the best of luck.
Buying a fish that has a hope and I know I can save it is very honorable. It is like saving a dog that is almost dead for lack of care of a owner. Or sending $5 to Indoneisa to feed the hungry.

I did not buy it because I wanted a fish that was cheap. I got it because I know I can save it and It is my wifes fav. fish anyway. It is a Christmas present. So, When the fish is doing perfict in 2 days I will be the hero and the fish will mean that much more to my wife. I took her to My LFS to buy one.

You should see my Blue tang. I have been offered $250 for him. Just a year ago My LFS gave him to me for free because he looked SO BAD. He was in a meat tank and the other fish picked him to death. He was ick infested and alot of his fins where picked off. Now he is 9 inches long and has AMAZING color.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

fly i do the same thing and it worked for me too, i soak food in garlic and feed it to the fish, garlic help the fishes inmune system and keeps the fish eating, in turn they fight the disease, anyways the point thay are trying to make is since you bought a fish that has ich already, it would have been better to put it in a qt and nurse it back to health since you already had it in your hands, after a put a fish in my tank is a PITA to get it out, lol, but hey you will do what works for you. good luck

sana
Old 12/22/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

flybynight, its nice to hear someone that has had the same experince as me, garlic works, ive seen it and i believe, its proven mosquitos dont like it but yet so many people say qt or hypo is the only way, my tangs were soo bad and 2 days of garlic and gone, i soak food with garlic always. im not brave enough to throw a ich fish in my tank but im still a little new to the hobby.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
now a month of treating with garlic for the ich to leave? before you said 2 days tops

lol just messin with ya but injesting the garlic still has nothing to do with killing the ich or making the ich leave. it just helps the fish eat while fighting off the ich. if the fish eats well without using garlic it will still have the same outcome as using garlic. in turn proves that garlic has nothing to do with the ich.

2 days and the ich drops off the fish. Then it drops in the tank. Then it lays eggs. The eggs hach 2 weeks later and another outbrake. That is why I dose for a month. To be safe

Garlic boost your natural immunity system and increases appetite. This is true in humans, fish, or what ever eats it. So garlic is a BIG help when fighting ick. It also will keep parasites from wanting to bite you because they do not like the tast (that is what I am guessing because very old research says so Haha). That is why I mentioned mosquitos a few post back. It is proven if a person eats garlic on a regular basis they will get attacked by parasites MUCH LESS.

So, does garlic kill the ick? No! BUT it is like taking a painkiller. Does a painkiller fix the pain? NO, But it does keep it away till you can heal to a point to heal. So with all this being said. Garlic is my secret weapon in the war against Ick and keeping healthy fish. That is why I do not sweet putting a ICK infested fish in my frag tank.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flybynight
Buying a fish that has a hope and I know I can save it is very honorable. It is like saving a dog that is almost dead for lack of care of a owner. Or sending $5 to Indoneisa to feed the hungry.

I did not buy it because I wanted a fish that was cheap. I got it because I know I can save it and It is my wifes fav. fish anyway. It is a Christmas present. So, When the fish is doing perfict in 2 days I will be the hero and the fish will mean that much more to my wife. I took her to My LFS to buy one.

You should see my Blue tang. I have been offered $250 for him. Just a year ago My LFS gave him to me for free because he looked SO BAD. He was in a meat tank and the other fish picked him to death. He was ick infested and alot of his fins where picked off. Now he is 9 inches long and has AMAZING color.

Good luck with everything and it looks like christmas came early for the tang!!
Old 12/22/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

P.S. I never see the outbrake after 2 weeks becuase the fish have so much garlic nothing will bit into them Haha.

I would LOVE to have a QT tank. I have a 120 reef and a 75 gallon frag tank. My wife would crap if I where to put another tank in the house no matter how small. She loves me but not that much haha. Anyway. I did some thinking. I have thousands of $ in my main reef tank. In rocks, corals, and fish. I only have close to one thousand dollars in my frag tank in frags live rock and snails. Just one fish. The one I added. So I thought it would be smarter not to effect my marrige, and not to put it in the tank with the most $. If something where to happen to everything in the frag tank I have mother colonyes in my main tank. So, I am covered there.

To tell you the truth, I am not worried one bit. Not one bit at all. Now watch something go wrong and my whole frag tank crash. haha.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Rustynutzz..... That is one FUNNY name. You must have a very good sense of humor. HAHA. Good stuff man.

I guess I found your handle so funny because I just droped a screw in my main tank with 300# of Live rock. Now I am going to have to dig for it before it starts rusting. I can't even see it.
Old 12/22/2007, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

Garlic is fantastic at boosting the fish's immune system. I put it in the fish food I make and I don't quarantine anything. I've had ich a few times and it always goes away with no problems. Anyway, very nice pickup on the fish I'm sure the ich will be gone soon!