Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers

Old 12/08/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Question on Metal Halide brands

I'm new to metal halide lighting and everything. I just googled and read an article saying that with 20k you'll need to supplement it with daylights. So I figure 14k would be the best spectrum for my needs. I don't have a canopy so only 1 type of lighting.

I've been reading post about what the best brand names are and I am unsure why one would be better than the other if they're both 14k. So which brand is the best bang for the buck?

Please help.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I think the Pheonix 250w 14k bulbs

Jim Mc
Old 12/08/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

I use Hamilton and Phoenix both 14k, the phoenix bulb has much better color.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:33 AM
It's Domo-kun

I use 20k with no supplemental. Some prefer to supplement it with lower temperature colors to make the appearance brighter (our eyes see more in the green spectrum than blue). I like it as is.
Old 12/09/2007, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

Anyone with answers to the why part of the posting- especially the difference in generic vs. name brand bulbs cuz the difference in price is extreme. I saw the comparisons of name brands but nothing about generics.

Also, what is the difference in coral growth with different color bulbs? I thought 10K was supposed to be the best.

I have 20K with no supplemental lighting- I like the color but wonder if 10K ,or 14K, would make enough impact on coral growth for me to reconsider. Any percentages that anyone can quote or references to a comprehensive article?
Old 12/09/2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

10k is good for growth but the color will be a little more yellow than 14k or 20k so you need to add actinic with 10k if you want the blue/white look of the 20k. For me I care about how it look more than growth since between a 10k and a 20k you talking about cm different in growth not in feet....I just try the reeflux 12k and it look like the 20k.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freddog
I use Hamilton and Phoenix both 14k, the phoenix bulb has much better color.
What do you mean when you say "much better color?" Is it more blue?

I am running the Hamilton's and have been pretty pleased. But I am running T5 Actinics for color.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I'm learning more on more, thanks guys.

I'm one whose a bit leaning to looks, especially if what Anthony (Ycnibrc) is noting that the growth factor is not a huge leap between 10k and 20k.

Now if only I can get big frags for less Then I don't have to worry about growth.

Quote:
Originally posted by ycnibrc
10k is good for growth but the color will be a little more yellow than 14k or 20k so you need to add actinic with 10k if you want the blue/white look of the 20k. For me I care about how it look more than growth since between a 10k and a 20k you talking about cm different in growth not in feet....I just try the reeflux 12k and it look like the 20k.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mclaman
What do you mean when you say "much better color?" Is it more blue?

I am running the Hamilton's and have been pretty pleased. But I am running T5 Actinics for color.
Phoenix 14k is much more blue, and does not need actinic suplementation. Color on corals stand out better.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

So if you compare two bulbs side by side that are both rated 14K and one of them is bluer, does that mean it is really not 14K?
Old 12/09/2007, 03:29 PM
Reef adict

Hamilton 10k and XM 10k give you the best par. You can decide what you want to do from there. I personally would not use a 20k bulb unless its a 400 watt setup.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

There are pages and pages in the lighting forum about this. Enough debate and information to make you go crazy. Basically it all depends on what you want and like. If you want growth 10K is the way to go. form there it is most aesthetics. Some people really like 20K bulbs others find the too blue. It is pretty hard for any one to tell you what you will like. Look at a few tanks and ask what they are using. Two different brand 10 or 20 bulbs are different because they use different gas combinations when making the bulbs. There is no such thing as 20K on the Kelvin light scale. The numbers are just to give you an idea how the bulb will look.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

i run a radium 250 hqi single ended bulb on a hqi maganitic ballast.. i like the color and it drives the bulb to it full pontential..
Old 12/09/2007, 06:41 PM
It's Domo-kun

Regarding growth, that depends on what you want to keep. Different corals grow better under different spectra. I don't know if there has been any systematic studies with various types of corals to determine what's best for each. So, basically, you should get the colors you prefer.

I have dual XM 250W SE 20,000K. I am considering moving to 14kK for my next set of bulbs, simply because it would appear brighter to the eye.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Is it going to shock my SPS if I switch to a 10K bulb from a 14K? Should I decrease the number of hours I leave my Halides running?