Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/04/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

My Frogspawn dieing. Too much flow?

My water quality is good, I have enought lighting but my frogspawn is dieing. Can it be that I have too much flow in my tank? I've tried to find some dead sports for my frogspawn but all the dead spots are not lighted. basically my question is can too much flow kill my coral even if it's not directly hitting it?
Old 10/04/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

how much lighting?

what are the symptoms?

how long have you had it?

are you feeding it?
Old 10/04/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

ph
ca
alk
mg
temp
sg
po4
No3

also, what do you have for flow in how big of a tank.

I have a 100 gal tank with ~4.5k gph, and my froggies grow like hair algae
Old 10/04/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

five.five-six ... AMEN to that! The frags you sold me are doing EXTREMEMLY well! I think they got a little bigger today than they did yesterday hehehe
Old 10/04/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

I have just a 12g tank. I have 60watts of lighting. I've had the frogspawn for 2 weeks. It's been fine it just started dieing yesterday.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

garod82 .. you might post your water params ... ppl can give better advice if they knew a little more about the tank ... IMHO
Old 10/04/2007, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefLife1680
five.five-six ... AMEN to that! The frags you sold me are doing EXTREMEMLY well! I think they got a little bigger today than they did yesterday hehehe
Thanks, I am glad it is doing good for you, but you may regret it when it has grown so big that it has taken over your entire tank and you wake up one morning and the frogspawin is sitting in your kitchen drinking coffee saying "HEY, YOU! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!"

LMAO... boy I am disturbed

I changed my mind about your test, since you have a 12g

first, test for ammonia and nitrite, then ph

put some carbon in ... oh, I would say,.... NOW!

I hope you have some amquil on hand, if you have any ammonia, put some of that in. do a small 30%water change... wow that is only 4 gallons..

also check your ph.. we will get to alk mg and calcium later

how much flow do you have in your tank?
Old 10/04/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

I have some carbon right before the pump. Basically my filtration is this: 1st chamber: long pre filter sponge 2nd and 3rd chamber is my fuge (sand, LR and Chaeto) 4th chamber: carbon pump and heater. I haven't checked my ph. I just did a 20% water change today. I do water changes weekely so my water is extremely clean.
As far as flow goes I have a Koralia 1 and a Rio 6 pump. It's quite a bit of flow but I don't think it's enough to kill a frog spawn.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garod82
I have some carbon right before the pump. Basically my filtration is this: 1st chamber: long pre filter sponge 2nd and 3rd chamber is my fuge (sand, LR and Chaeto) 4th chamber: carbon pump and heater. I haven't checked my ph. I just did a 20% water change today. I do water changes weekely so my water is extremely clean.
As far as flow goes I have a Koralia 1 and a Rio 6 pump. It's quite a bit of flow but I don't think it's enough to kill a frog spawn.
well, iam sorry to say that water changes do not clean water make... sounds like you have ~400gph from the korelia and I don't know how much you are getting from the rio, that is quite a bit of flow but I do not think it is your problem,

i suspect amonia, ph sg or temp swings
Old 10/04/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

My frog spawns love being in the current. Check your salinity, lps are first to go if it gets to high. If your using a hydrometer, have it checked to refractometer at a lfs. They are almost always off. Also check your pH, alk and temp, in a tank that small they will fluctuate a lot. Also check what ever your using to check temp to another source to make sure its correct.

Also if your changing 2.5 gallons a week I would assume that your using half a five gallon jug and let the remainder sit till the next water change. Make sure that water is kept circulated. If not the pH will be really low. Also make sure you bring it up to the same temp before the change.
Old 10/05/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

rxdi ... good point on the standing salt water. I change ~3 gallons a week in my 24G AP and mix only enough for each time I change (I mis and allow to circulate w/ a ph for a day prior to putting it in the tank).

Refractometers are the BEST! Easy to use and fairly affordable! I would invest in one b/c rxdi is right ... LPSs will react adversely to high & dramatic fluctuations in salinity ....
Old 10/05/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

that might be it, I let my water sit for a week. This is the first time I've had a small tank so I never had sitting water. I was always doing 10 or 15 gallon water changes at a time before. So how can I still get 5 gallons at a time but make it so the water doesn't drop in ph?
Old 10/05/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Put a small powerhead or a air pump in the jug a day or two before the water change.
Old 10/05/2007, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
ph
ca
alk
mg
temp
sg
po4
No3