Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 02:16 PM
Genuine reef addict

Stuart - the link gives me "page not found" but I think I could tell it was the ASM Mini-G skimmer? I'll try this link:

Edit - I think the link to the marine depot page is too long to paste in & have it work.

I can't remember the depth of the back anymore - it's either 3 or 4 inches. Since the footprint on the Mini-G is 5 inches I don't think it will fit. I think we looked at it once before. I've been watching that thread on the Euroreef skimmer too, but no reports on the beta versions yet.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack:

Ya, for some reason when you paste in the marine depot link, it comes up page not found on the message. I fixed my posting to a new link from a different vendor.

Ya, I have been following the Euroreef thread as well, and there is a rumor that it will be available this Feb. The Octopus nano skimmer is supposedly available now, but I have only been able to find it being sold in Australia and cannot find any vendor in the USA. I definitely want to get a new skimmer soon b/c the stock skimmer is just not cutting it with my heavy bio load. I am compensating with more aggressive water changes and chemical filtration, but it is not the way I want things to remain even then it is just not enough. I think if I had a skimmer that really pulled out gunk I would be in good shape.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Octopus Nano

This skimmer also looks promising and appears for sale now, but I cannot find a USA vendor.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:03 PM
Genuine reef addict

The mini-G on the last page now works. I know the back is no more than 4" so the Mini-G looks like it's out of the running. I can't see any size information on the Octopus Nano, but just looking at it I have doubts it will fit in the back based on how the pump & suction cups are placed - unless those could be shifted. The Octopus is rated only 80 liters, but since my RSM skimmer never did anything (my rating would be close to zero liters!) I'd have settled for one rated 80 liters than actually worked.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Re: ASM Mini G

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart60611
Well, I have been awaiting both the Euroreef and Octopus nano skimmers to be available, but I am getting to the point that I really need to address the shortcommings of the stock skimmer b/c I believe my tank is suffering from such an inefficient skimmer. I found this. Seems reasonably priced and looks better than the stock skimmer.[

Two questions. First, anyone have any comments on the unit generally. Second, because my mechanical skills are less than optimal, can anyone comment on whether this would fit in the back skimmer chamber of the RSM so that the hood and skimmer flap would close.

Thanks,

Stuart
Stuart...Here is the true skinny on the ASM Mini G. First, it doesn't look like that anymore. I am not sure why nobody has the real picture of it but the redesigned unit has the pump underneath the skimmer body and measures 21" tall now instead of 16". It will not fit in the existing skimmer compartment. I know this 'cause I bought one thinking it was of the design that you linked to only to find out that it was significantly taller and would no longer fit in my sump within the cabinet. And...the pump burned out in 30 seconds because the mfg increased the impellar size without redesigning the pump to account for it. It went back to the e-tailer that same day.

Edit: This is what they look like now.

Last edited by lpsluver; 01/09/2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Lpsluver. Well, it looks like the Euroreef is still the best possible alternative to the stock skimmer in that the Octopus may not fit and is rated sigficantly lower than the volume of the RSM. Very frustrating b/c I am willing to pay for another skimmer if I could just fine one that worked well and fit in the RSM's skimmer compartment.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

I have approached Reef Octopus for dimensions & will let everyone know. I also offered to "Beta Test" it in an RSM & report back the everyone ;-)

Stuyart 60611 - I thought that the Tunze Nano doc had basically been given the thumbs up as well as a viable alternative.

Now I'll have to go & have a look for that Euroreef thread - have not been following that one...

Cheers

James
Old 01/09/2008, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

I have approached Reef Octopus for dimensions & will let everyone know. I also offered to "Beta Test" it in an RSM & report back the everyone ;-)

Stuart 60611 - I thought that the Tunze Nano doc had basically been given the thumbs up as well as a viable alternative.

Now I'll have to go & have a look for that Euroreef thread - have not been following that one...

Cheers

James
Old 01/09/2008, 06:06 PM
Genuine reef addict

Fishy Something - correct - the Tunze Nano Doc 9002 will work in the back. I assumed Stuart knew that already but I may be wrong. I should never assume!
Old 01/09/2008, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Hi all, just wanted folks to know I just tried a Tunze Nanostream 6055 with a single 7091 controller. A little pricey, but really works nice. It is very controllable and you can move your tank from "mild to wild". Just getting going with my set up and this forum is great! Still what to know if maxijet pump replacement solves the stock pump cavitation issues.

cheers
Old 01/09/2008, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Re: Octopus Nano

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart60611
This skimmer also looks promising and appears for sale now, but I cannot find a USA vendor.
Hey Stuart, I have emailed these guys to see if they would fit in the RSM but have had no response. I might call them and see if I can get any info. I am sure there would be a massive market if they would fit with little or no mod to the RSM.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:13 PM
Genuine reef addict

janes_mw - thanks for the report on the 6055 and controller. It has to be lower cost than a Vortech pump? I'd like to have an adjustable flow myself.

Stuart/Gigs - I found a couple Octopus skimmers on Ebay but none of the nano version.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Yes, $286 for pump, controller, and photocell from Reef Exotics in NY. Matched best price I found, and great shipper. Tunze may be $$, but it is really a nice product. The flow is very adaptable. Right now I have set up for rear corner to front corner. I'm sure I'll play with it when I get more in the tank )
Old 01/09/2008, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by donna53w
How about Sunday evening? Chat.

If you made it Sat. night around 9:00. The Aussies' could participate. They are about 12 hours ahead of us. But it would leave the Europeans out.

Marty
Old 01/09/2008, 09:22 PM
Genuine reef addict

Yep that's cheaper than a $400+ Vortech. I like the Vortechs, and the mag drive, but just too much for my wallet. But, so's the 6055 right now LOL!
Old 01/09/2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

from what I have read, the Vortech have a noise issue that is pretty annoying.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

martinphillip03 - Thanks for thinking of us down under! I think Gigs & I are the only active Aussies on board right now & whilst I cannot speak for Gigs, I won't be around, so don't change plans for me.

James
Old 01/09/2008, 09:52 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by janes_mw
from what I have read, the Vortech have a noise issue that is pretty annoying.
I've heard that too. The Vortech may be a bit too much even at it lowest gpm which I think is 500gpm. The 6055 comes with some type of electronic controller I think - what does that included controller do?
Old 01/09/2008, 09:55 PM
Genuine reef addict

BTW, NaCl+H2O Fish - what's your status? Making RO/DI water yet? Tank set up & ready to fill yet?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

the basic controller is pretty basic. It switches the flow from setting one to setting two (variable..your choice) in a "pulse" mode. The setting can be from 2-5 seconds for the "pulse". When the lights go off, it goes to your #2 flow setting with no pulse. There is a more elaborate controller for $$ more.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
BTW, NaCl+H2O Fish - what's your status? Making RO/DI water yet? Tank set up & ready to fill yet?
Reefmack - Got my RO/DI yesterday and will report to everyone on it's build quality.... Almost ready! Planning to post pix, ala Y-DesignGuy's new lights.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishy Something
martinphillip03 - Thanks for thinking of us down under! I think Gigs & I are the only active Aussies on board right now & whilst I cannot speak for Gigs, I won't be around, so don't change plans for me.

James
Hey guys I can try and make it. The current time here is 2pm Thursday 10th Jan. So I think you guys are 10pm Wed 9th of Jan?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

BTW, the 6055 is an electronic controlled pump. It doesn't come with any controller other than "on" I added the 7091 single controller. I believe without the controller, you can select half speed or full speed.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,
it seems you guys are getting serious with the Saturday night chat here.
I will check the system again to be sure it will run at 100%.
I am pretty sure I can make it to participate and me being the "owner" of the chat I will make sure we don't get "intruders" with stupid remarks or so and will kick them out of the system if needed.
Looking forward to it

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/09/2008, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gigs
Hey guys I can try and make it. The current time here is 2pm Thursday 10th Jan. So I think you guys are 10pm Wed 9th of Jan?
Exactly

Marty