Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Where to dispose of used glass tank

Wondering if anyone know how to disposed of a used fish tank? It's glass and the seals are in questionable condition.

I know I'm not suppose to drop it into the normal garbage, and I looked around San Jose Recycle and Garbage website and it has no info on large glass items. The list it has on construction garbage does not mention glass either....

I assume a landfill would take it, but was hoping that it can go to a place that recycles.
Old 12/17/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

maybe you can re-silicone the seals and use it as a sump or qt. Im sure someone here can find a use for it.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

It's a 46 G bow-front, and I'm willing to give it away if someone want to try and repair it. I don't have the time to do it myself.

I offered it free a couple of months back and there were no takers, still worth a shot. "FREE" (Located near camden on 85) if anyone wants it.

If not I'll still like information on how to dispose of it properly.

Thanks
Old 12/17/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Shatter it and trash it.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Don't see why could couldn't smash it into smaller pieces and recycle it at a recycling center behind lucky's, or any of those places you go to recycle cans/bottles/etc.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

I've done that long time back with an old tank and it's pretty dangerous.

It shatters into so many very small, and very very sharp pieces (Except for the bottom which was tempered).

It takes some force to break a tank, the last time I wrapped the tank in an old tarp and used a hammer. Pieces still manage to fly out, would rather not try that again.

I was cleaning up the pieces with a pair of thick leather gloves and at the end the gloves was in shreds.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:09 PM
Resident physicist.

I don't think there's a "proper" way to dispose of it because quite honestly there's nothing dangerous (except sharp pieces that can come as a result). If you absolutely do not want to shatter it a few options... if you can fit the whole tank inside your garbage can, do that, cover with a tarp and drop a rock on it or something. (ok that still is shattering it ).

Other options, often your garbage company will have a bulk item collection they'll do, it varies by city of course, but it might be useful.

If you have the time, you might be able to use a dremel cut off all the plastic trim pieces and pull off the panes of glass and drop them one at a time in the garbage can. Use gloves though, the silicone will fight you to the bitter end!

But I know what you mean about the free stuff, I put stuff on craigslist and man people are picky as hell about free stuff. I wanted to give away some file cabinets, standard size, nothing wrong, people wanted pictures, wanted me to hold them, wanted me to call them back to see if they're still available... I finally put them on the curb with a sign that said "FREE" and anyone who sent me an email I replied with my address and told them if it's still on the curb you're in luck, if not tough s...ituation.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I finally put them on the curb with a sign that said "FREE"
Best Idea ever
Old 12/17/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I can't get rid of, I'll probably put in the car and bring it to the landfill.

I did try the bulk item collection which is great (Got rid of an old mattress and couch that way), but they refused to accept fish tanks for some reason.

As for the physical "FREE" sign, I live on a cul-de-sac, and kids even pass us by on Halloween, so I think my sign will be up for a while

Sigh...what the world gotten, "FREE" and no takers.