Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2004, 08:28 PM
D00D

the freckled angler is usually a scarlet frogfish forgot scientific name...once again nice frogs
Old 10/06/2004, 08:37 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Yea, Scarlet that was the ohter name. I LOVE the white and black one posted above.
Old 10/06/2004, 09:02 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan55
Hey Jcig...what kind is that? I have one just like that and bought it as a "Freckled Angler aka Spotted"???
Jordan....I'm not sure what kind he is...My wife named him "Tiny" . I think I have some other pics.

here they are

I sold this one....
Old 10/06/2004, 09:03 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Man, "Tiny" looks almost EXACTLY like mine. Does Tiny have a lure? Mine doesn't.
Old 10/06/2004, 09:08 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Man, "Tiny" looks almost EXACTLY like mine. Does Tiny have a lure? Mine doesn't.
Yes he does...I'll try and get a picture with it out.
Jimmy
Old 10/07/2004, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Hi Jimmy,

They really are some amazing frogfish - I have a hispid and a warty, but yours are truly unique. I noticed you live in Chicago as well - what's your source for such rare species? I'm looking to get some scorpions or maybe another froggy, but don't know who is the best source?

Thanks,
James
Old 10/07/2004, 07:10 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jlo
Hi Jimmy,

They really are some amazing frogfish - I have a hispid and a warty, but yours are truly unique. I noticed you live in Chicago as well - what's your source for such rare species? I'm looking to get some scorpions or maybe another froggy, but don't know who is the best source?

Thanks,
James
James....right now a friend of mine has four others that are really cool. He's sending mine today so if you want one please let me know and I'll have him toss it in with mine.

Jimmy
Old 10/07/2004, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlo
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks,
James

Try aquadesignz.com
Old 10/07/2004, 07:41 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by criccio
Try aquadesignz.com
Trust me James....if you want one let me know. I can get it cheaper then what he has them listed for.

Jimmy
Old 10/10/2004, 05:59 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Ok I need your help.

I just set up a 12 gallon nano cube about 2 weeks ago. I have my current 4-5 inch angler (top size) in my 16 gallon. I was planing on moving him to my 12 gallon when it cycles. My question is...could I have 2, 5 inch anglers in my 12 gallon? I know it is a stretch, and long one, but could it be done? I mean all they do is sit and walk a lil. If I get them the same size then it may be okay. If not, would they would in my 16 gallon? Thanks guys.
Old 10/10/2004, 06:24 PM
VILP

Hi Jordan55,

IMO, putting two anglers of that size together in either a 12 or a 16-gallon tank isn't a great idea. Here are my concerns:

These fish may not do much, but in a larger tank, it is completely normal behavior to switch ambush locations every few hours - tough to do in that size tank if you have a tank mate.

Frogfish in the wild appear to be loners (other than when mated). Putting two 5" anglers together in such close quarters will bring them face to face pretty often...with the possibility that one may attempt to eat the other one. Rule of thumb: nothing less than twice the size of the angler is actually safe. I wouldn't chance it if it were me.

Lastly, you may have some serious water quality issues processing the waste of two 5" anglers in either of those sized tanks.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Cheri
Old 10/10/2004, 06:30 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

That is true.
I jsut wanted one cuz mine is boring colors with no lure!
Old 10/10/2004, 07:53 PM
VILP

Quote:
That is true.
I jsut wanted one cuz mine is boring colors with no lure!
Jordan,

Do you know what species of frogfish you have?

How long have you had your angler - since it was a juvenile? I've read that occasionally in the wild an angler will get its lure (esca) bit off and it can grow back. Scott Michael writes that can take 120-240 days to fully reform. I haven't read of an angler species that doesn't have one to begin with. Some anglers rarely lure and keep their esca flattened against their head - all but invisible....

As to color, most species of angler can and do change coloring to match their surroundings, though some species change colors more readily than others. This can take weeks or months, but you may be able to experiement with tank background and aquascaping to manipulate your frogfish's color...have you tried that? Mine has been red, black, orange, peach and is now yellow. I saw one recently that was exactly the color of sand with little markings that would have allowed it to blend with an open ocean substrate perfectly....is yours like that?

Cheri
Old 10/10/2004, 08:04 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Well, he looks like he has a half al ure but it kind of looks like a tiny stick comming off his head. He doesn't wiggle it, so maybe it did get biten off or something. Gotta wait for it to regrow. I do not the exact species because it was labled as a "spotted angler" but it looks like a Antennarius coccineus in "Marine Fishes" by Scott W. Michael.
Old 10/10/2004, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

woo those pic are cool... neat fish

gee..
my wife says i pay more attention to my reef than her!! soo i told her that she could pay my reef some attention TOO!!!!
Old 10/10/2004, 08:28 PM
VILP

Quote:
Well, he looks like he has a half al ure but it kind of looks like a tiny stick comming off his head. He doesn't wiggle it, so maybe it did get biten off or something. Gotta wait for it to regrow. I do not the exact species because it was labled as a "spotted angler" but it looks like a Antennarius coccineus in "Marine Fishes" by Scott W. Michael.
Jordan,

Your description matches very well w/ A. coccineus! It has a very short illicium (the stick), with just a tiny esca and it simply erects the illicium when it lures, rather than moving it about a lot as some other species do.

Since A. coccineus is sometimes seen in green, I wonder if you put Chaetomorpha in with him (or another green macro algae), if he'd get more greenish. My angler is in my refugium and he's decided that hanging upside down in the bright green chaetomorpha is good for ambush...he stands out like a sore thumb w/ his yellow body against the bright green...but has never changed to match.

Cheri
Old 10/10/2004, 08:32 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Hmmmm. Green would be cool. When I move him into my smaller nano I will put some Macro with him. I have only seen him yellow, gray, and brown...also with mixes of those colors. He looks like the one jcigars posted (the grey one). The are very cool fish and I am glad mine has made it to the 3 month mark. He seems like he as been in my tank longer. Maybe 4 months. Not sure. But I would love to have another one.
Old 10/16/2004, 09:51 AM
Moved On

Here's one of the new guys in the tank now for over a week. They are both eating live food and seem to be doing great. I tried feeding them frozen but had no luck yet.

Old 10/16/2004, 09:53 AM
Moved On

Jimmy that fish is absolutely awesome man. I am gonna get one for my prop tank!
Old 10/16/2004, 09:56 AM
RIP-You'll be remembered

I have been thinking if I want to turn my 16 gallon into another angler tank or a couple small fish. I REALLY want a cool looking one. J, do you have 2 in one tank? What size tank?
Old 10/16/2004, 09:56 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mane3215
Jimmy that fish is absolutely awesome man. I am gonna get one for my prop tank!
Chris...thanks man ! They are the coolest fish If I come across a cool one (at a good price) I'll let you know. I have two more.....I have another new one that I need to take some pictures of. I'll post some more pictures soon

Jimmy
Old 10/16/2004, 09:57 AM
Moved On

Quote:
I have been thinking if I want to turn my 16 gallon into another angler tank or a couple small fish. I REALLY want a cool looking one. J, do you have 2 in one tank? What size tank?
I have two together in a 75...they seem to be hunting together.
Old 10/16/2004, 09:58 AM
RIP-You'll be remembered

They are hard to find around here. I have only seen a couple online stores that carries them. Atleast a couple with okay shipping.
Old 10/16/2004, 10:04 AM
Moved On

Quote:
They are hard to find around here. I have only seen a couple online stores that carries them. Atleast a couple with okay shipping.
Jordan.....they had a really cool warty (canary yellow with white) in my area. They were asking $99 for him. Just be patient and wait for the right one to come along

Jimmy
Old 10/18/2004, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Hello Everyone! Im pretty new to RC, ive been browsing a bit but never was much of a poster. I am setting up a 50g (breeder) aggressive reef tank. I was hoping to include a frog and a dwarf-lionfish. I know a few people that have kept them together with success. All of your anglers look great. Other than aquadesignz.com and liveaquaria, what are some other good sources for frogs? Im on the east-coast, so my selection from LFSs isnt too great when it comes 2 frogs.