Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/23/2004, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy My frogfish needs help

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I'd like to say I love this thread - I've read every posting in detail!! It has been a great resource, with very little information available on captive care of these little guys.

So about 6 weeks ago at my LFS I came across a really unique and cute looking frogfish - in short, it was sick with what they though may be ick, they were giving it formalin dips and within a week its was "fine". Knowing I may have future issues I still had to have it - so I got him, he was eating well, really active, then 2-3 weeks later I woke up and he had a relapse of the white spots (photos from today attached). His tank now has a UV sterilizer (at correct flow), I have been injecting some of his ghost shrimp with a Selcon / Garlic juice mix and am trying to keep water quality perfect. His usual diet is a combination of ghost shrimp, green reef chromis and the occaisional peppermint shrimp (I'm really trying with this whole diet thing!!!).

So 3 weeks since this outbreak, things have changed very little, maybe slightly worse in the last 2 days. He is still eating REALLY well (see him angling this morning), but he is not kicking this on his own. I've been unable to identify exactly what parasite it is - I would have expected crypt to have dissappeared after a week or so, then relapsed.

I know these guys are copper sensitive and really don't want to upset him - but am considering FW dips or formalin. Has anyone here had experience with treating frogfish?? Are they freshwater dippable?? Will crypt even be affected by a FW dip? What other options are there?

I can't let this little guy die - he is so unique and has so much character! Please help.

Thanks - James

Last edited by jlo; 06/23/2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06/23/2004, 03:48 PM
VILP

Jlo,

I would suggest you post in the Fish Only and Aggressive Fish forum here on RC - specifically asking about frogfish parasite treatment. I know that copper is not a good idea, but in that forum you may get answers from someone who has tried other methods. The other two contacts that I can suggest would be Scott Michael (contact through www.coralrealm.com) and Anthony Calfo (contact through www.wetwebmedia.com). Both of these folks appear to know quite a bit about anglers and may have ideas about treatment methods.

Best of luck,
Cheri
Old 06/23/2004, 03:52 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by blackangler
the day has finaly come, I got a new angler!!!!! yes dave from vivid aquarimums sent me a beautiful white wartskin with red markings today. i just finished putting it in my tank and it is loving it. i am very pleased with the anlger, and would reccomend vividaquaria for anyone wanting fish online. but back to the angler. it is about two inces long with a white body, it has red and green bloches all over its body. the one thing i still need to do tho is get it a name. any suggestions?
Congratulations blackangler! I haven't seen a frogfish with green blotches. Can you post a picture?

Cheri
Old 06/23/2004, 04:11 PM
10 & Over Club

jlo-
thats an awesome fish, looking at the esca its a black A striatus. I've never ever seen a fish like that, absolutely amazing.
So give us some details about the infection, you mention ich, but i don't really see ich, and interestingly fish like these anglers have such tight junctions in their scaling (skin actually) that ich usually doesn't infect them well, ich can infect them, it just usually doesn't happen first. I'm thinking other parasites. Unfortunately you've not given us much info in this regards
Any clearer pictures as well?
frank
Old 06/28/2004, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I don't know if all you frogfish fans have seen it, but the latest issue of Coral Magazine (it is the new North american version of europes Koralle) features A. Maculatus and has an extensive writeup on this animal... among some of the interesting stuff I learned in the article.

It is suspected that A. Maculatus may hybridize with other frogfish (explaining why some ID's on these guys are so hard)

When young they imitate (or MAY imitate) a noxious flatworm.

It also gives you depth of habitat, range, and so on. Apparently, the author who has succesffuly kept these fish for a while, has even kept maculatus in a 10 gallon nano. neat
Old 06/28/2004, 08:35 PM
VILP

I saw that - great article! I love these guys, but they sure are pricey around where I live ($150!)

Cheri
Old 06/28/2004, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

I just saw the most awesome looking warty at my local lfs. It was 149.99! I can get them cheaper at my work if we ever get a good wholesaler again. He was so awesome. And I really miss my Cow who passed away this year. I was so tempted, but his high pricetag is a good deterent for me.
Old 07/13/2004, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

This may already be here, but just in case it hasn't been posted here's another site with angler info...http://grimreefers.com/forums/index.php?showforum=13
Old 07/14/2004, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

So a couple of months ago, I set up a second tank (a 16gl) to host a damsel and a frogfish. It's composed of one large (8-10 lbs) piece of LR and 10lbs worth of coral rubles (creating a forest of rock, literaly). Then I bought Little Godzilla:

He's been doing fine, eating grass shrimp. The damself is still alive and well until some day where LG will be too hungry. LG eats 1 shrimp every other day.

Just wanted to share,

Erik
Old 07/14/2004, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

I think that is the clearest pic I've ever seen on RC. What kind of camera are you using?
Old 07/14/2004, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Thank you,

I just used an Canon S50 for that shot (with custom white balance). People say I have a knack for cameras (see my diving photos at: http://www.frenchguys.com/html/modul...view_album.php).

I need to get my 1D fixed so that I can take really good tank pictures.

Erik
Old 07/15/2004, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Wow what a great shot. That is an awesome looking fish as well. Well Done!
Old 07/15/2004, 05:51 AM
VILP

edasque,

Fantastic photo and wonderful dive shots! Your Warty looks exactly like my original one.

Cheri
Old 07/15/2004, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. I love the little fellow.

What are you guys using to feed your frogfish frozen food, what kind of rod ? Anybody using a fishing line type apparel (without hook of course). I have had success making a bit of krill look 'alive' by gently blowing onto it with a turkey blaster (but I tried only once)

Erik
Old 07/15/2004, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

reef cherie,

i noticed that you are in san jose- can you tell me at which lfs' you can find these frogfish at in the bay area? how much do they usually cost - 150? wow..expensive..

thanks for starting this thread! i JUST finished reading all 24 pages.. frogfish are so cute!
Old 07/15/2004, 05:58 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by kpebbles
reef cherie,

i noticed that you are in san jose- can you tell me at which lfs' you can find these frogfish at in the bay area? how much do they usually cost - 150? wow..expensive..

thanks for starting this thread! i JUST finished reading all 24 pages.. frogfish are so cute!
I sent you a PM.

Cheri
Old 07/16/2004, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by criccio
I think that is the clearest pic I've ever seen on RC. What kind of camera are you using?
Keep in mind, it's also more than half a meg large. Most pictures posted to RC are less than a 10th of that size, after compression.

That's not to say it isn't a good shot, though.
Old 07/16/2004, 03:53 PM
D00D

a 16 gallon you say, is it an acrylic cube? i think its the same tank that i have.
Old 07/16/2004, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

It's actually a glass 16gl that I picked up for $6 at a store that was closing down. Kind of a guerilla set-up if you don't count the $80 Prizm skimmer.
Old 07/16/2004, 05:27 PM
Moved On

My angler is doing great after several months. Been feeding him dried krill and I alternate soaking in Zoe, Selcon, and vita-chem.

We just got in a cute pair of frogfish this week at work. They are only about the size of a quarter but are so cute!! They are yellow with red accents on their fins. They both had air trapped in them from shipping, one has expelled the bubble but the other has not so I"m hoping the second will get rid of it so I can buy them!!
Old 07/16/2004, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

jamal-188: post photos, I have never seen juveniles !
Old 07/23/2004, 12:16 AM
D00D

OKAY IM SICK OF IT. its been a few months since i last bought or attempted to keep a frogfish. but thats all over with now. tomorrow im goin out and looking for a small 5-12 gallon tank, i have 55 bucks in my pocket (im jobless and 15) and i can raise a few bucks in a heartbeat doin oddjobs. my parents arnt gonna be to happy about this, because they are pretty much over frogfishbut thats to bad because this isnt an option.

i will keep you updated.
Old 07/30/2004, 05:53 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Hey,
I just picked up a frogfish 2 days ago. He is doing very well. I fed him 2 feederfish today and ate them fast. I am planning on feeding him 2-3 feeder fish 2-3 times a week. I think he is a coccneios(sp) I will get back with you I can't rememeber the name. He is in my 16 gallon frag tank.
Old 07/30/2004, 06:24 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan55
Hey,
I just picked up a frogfish 2 days ago. He is doing very well. I fed him 2 feederfish today and ate them fast. I am planning on feeding him 2-3 feeder fish 2-3 times a week. I think he is a coccneios(sp) I will get back with you I can't rememeber the name. He is in my 16 gallon frag tank.
you should look into feeding him other things then feeder fish, read through these files and find out what is best to feed him.
Old 07/30/2004, 10:24 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by _Blank_
you should look into feeding him other things then feeder fish, read through these files and find out what is best to feed him.
Jordan55 has not stated whether the feeder fish he's using are marine or freshwater feeders. If he is using marine feeders fed good quality marine food and properly quarantined before use, IMO that would be excellent food for an angler. Freshwater feeders would be poor long-term food though.

I am curious about the size of the frogfish and both type and size of the feeder fish. Perhaps he'll fill us in with more info when he gets back with us on the type of his angler. There is one commonly referred to as the "Scarlet" or "Freckled" frogfish, Antennarius coccineus.

Cheri