Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/17/2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

good reference book..?

whats a good reference book for corals?

75g Tank
15g Refugium
Mag 9.5 Return
Euroreef ES5-3 Protein Skimmer
T5 lights
Seio Super Flow Pump M1100
Seio Super Flow Pump M620
Old 05/17/2005, 10:18 PM
Go Terps!

"Corals of the World" by Vernon is one of the best I have seen!

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...COTW&ast=&key=
Old 05/17/2005, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I have to agree, Corals of the world!!!
Old 05/17/2005, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

corals of the world
Old 05/18/2005, 05:18 AM
troublemaker

If we're talking about caring for the corals, I'd go for
[ericsbook]

Veron's books are interesting catalogs of corals, but don't deal with anything about captive care and IMO don't give me the specifics that have really led to me knowing how to care for things. Beautiful books, interesting ... no doubt.
Old 05/18/2005, 08:34 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Coral of the World will not tell you anything about caring for your corals. It's more of an ID and picture book.

I'd go with Eric Borneman's book.
Old 05/18/2005, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

yeah i am looking for something that will tell me about caring for my corals & help in identifying them.

75g Tank
15g Refugium
Mag 9.5 Return
T5 lights
Old 05/18/2005, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Corals of the world looks great, but $130 is a bit pricey. Is there a cheaper book worth buying for acro IDs?
Old 05/18/2005, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

i picked up the Aquarium Corals today. very informative (from i looked thru so far). Covers all the corals plus how to take care of them. Well worth the $42.

75g Tank
15g Refugium
Mag 9.5 Return
T5 lights
Old 05/18/2005, 10:02 PM
reefman

Corals of the world is the only set you will need. It is a 3 volume set. Buy it from the Australian publisher and you will save some money. I'll see if I can find a link to the website.
Old 05/18/2005, 10:08 PM
reefman

http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/coralsworld/cotw-01.html

195 australian, 150 US,

sorry. I bought mine when MD sold it for 200.00 US
Old 05/19/2005, 06:04 AM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by kroe
Corals of the world looks great, but $130 is a bit pricey. Is there a cheaper book worth buying for acro IDs?
Not really, Carden Wallace's book would be better if it's Acropora you're looking at. But don't think it's much cheaper, it's from Australia as well.

To be honest, look at this thread [http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=366161] if you're gung-ho about getting a `positive' ID on Acropora. Joe here is one of the few who followed all the way through the ID process for a coral ... which is far more than just looking in a book/website at what's generally similar. IMO, once you know what a `definite ID' is, it makes you realize that it's doubtful many ID's are `for sure' and perhaps that species ID really doesn't tell you much anyway.

That's just my take, but after walking partway through the ID process [lacked a good scope at the time, and Wallace's book] ...it taught me that perhaps it is wiser not to claim I can ID down to species ... as without a bleached branch + serious study, it would be mostly just a guess. And given what Veron has said regarding shape, corallites, and other `distinguishing factors' [that they're highly variable and likely have more to do with micro-environment than species] ... well, I wouldn't be hung up on being right if you must ID.

Others think differently, but reading what I have ... it's hard to excited for [pay attention to ?] species ID's anymore.
Old 05/19/2005, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
Not really, Carden Wallace's book would be better if it's Acropora you're looking at. But don't think it's much cheaper, it's from Australia as well.

To be honest, look at this thread [http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=366161] if you're gung-ho about getting a `positive' ID on Acropora. Joe here is one of the few who followed all the way through the ID process for a coral ... which is far more than just looking in a book/website at what's generally similar. IMO, once you know what a `definite ID' is, it makes you realize that it's doubtful many ID's are `for sure' and perhaps that species ID really doesn't tell you much anyway.

That's just my take, but after walking partway through the ID process [lacked a good scope at the time, and Wallace's book] ...it taught me that perhaps it is wiser not to claim I can ID down to species ... as without a bleached branch + serious study, it would be mostly just a guess. And given what Veron has said regarding shape, corallites, and other `distinguishing factors' [that they're highly variable and likely have more to do with micro-environment than species] ... well, I wouldn't be hung up on being right if you must ID.

Others think differently, but reading what I have ... it's hard to excited for [pay attention to ?] species ID's anymore.
that is why i got the Aquarium Coral book. this book has good information to help narrow down the ID a little. It also has chapters on care for your corals.

75g Tank
15g Refugium
Mag 9.5 Return
T5 lights
Old 05/19/2005, 09:26 AM
Zooxanthellae Addict

I have corals of the world and although its a great collection of books for ID, I prefer to use sprungs Corals book for quick ID, I use vernons books to try and get a definite ID which rarely happens cause i end up thumbng through the entire book looking at the pics. Bornemans book is great for individual care of particular corals though.