Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/07/2006, 11:48 AM
Moved On

The Maxijet hook/hanger bracket will fit onto the tank's trim. Just force it a little bit is all. That's how I was able to use mine.

D.
Old 02/07/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Jon770, I agree with rich. Don't trust the suction cups. They may work for a month, 3 months, or a year, but eventually they will fail and when they do it will be a real mess.
Old 02/07/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

dhnguyen, it would be great if you started to sell this mod for those who arent gifted with tools ....
Old 02/08/2006, 07:53 AM
Moved On

Some good ole nostalgic reading on this.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...002/review.htm
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=130625
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...threadid=93473
Old 02/08/2006, 10:08 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Hey guys I finally got through all of this thread and now I FULLY understand this mod (if only everyone did before posting :P). I do have an idea that may benefit some folks out there looking to make a big daddy. If you take a larger test cap and cut the center out like so (this would be a top down view), so that it would attach to the MJ, you could easily use larger PVC. So instead of using the "rim" of the test cap to grab the clips of the MJ, this cut would allow you to use much larger diameters. You could do this out of thin acrylic too I guess if you could cut a nice round circle and was able to fit it perfectly in the size PVC of choice. Im surprised noone has tried this yet (or perhaps they have and just havent posted).

Last edited by Horace; 02/08/2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02/08/2006, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Neat idea.
Old 02/08/2006, 10:21 AM
Why do I live in IL?

If you saw it before, i just changed it a bit. I noticed a flaw in the design :P. It was envisioning the "clips" on the MJ as facing outward, not inward. This design would allow it to use the inward clips. Sorry for the crude drawing...here at work I dont have any good drawing progs..
Old 02/08/2006, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Thats a nice idea... you may have to cut out along the inner curve on each side so that you can then twist the cap so that it catches under the clips. Nice outside the box thinking though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
If you saw it before, i just changed it a bit. I noticed a flaw in the design :P. It was envisioning the "clips" on the MJ as facing outward, not inward. This design would allow it to use the inward clips. Sorry for the crude drawing...here at work I dont have any good drawing progs..
Old 02/08/2006, 12:34 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
Hey guys I finally got through all of this thread and now I FULLY understand this mod (if only everyone did before posting :P). I do have an idea that may benefit some folks out there looking to make a big daddy. If you take a larger test cap and cut the center out like so (this would be a top down view), so that it would attach to the MJ, you could easily use larger PVC. So instead of using the "rim" of the test cap to grab the clips of the MJ, this cut would allow you to use much larger diameters. You could do this out of thin acrylic too I guess if you could cut a nice round circle and was able to fit it perfectly in the size PVC of choice. Im surprised noone has tried this yet (or perhaps they have and just havent posted).

Very nice. Only thing is... There comes a point when the MJ's can't turn the larger sized propellers (2 inches and larger) anymore and you would need to go to a larger pump which would have a larger port hole diameter anyway.... So a larger test cap would do the job there I would think. I used a 2 inch test cap on a JEBO AP1500 powerhead and it worked just fine.

D.
Old 02/08/2006, 01:51 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Quote:
Originally posted by Critter
Thats a nice idea... you may have to cut out along the inner curve on each side so that you can then twist the cap so that it catches under the clips. Nice outside the box thinking though.
I actually was accounting for that in my design, but the scale isnt such that it was obvious I guess. Again it was a pretty crude drawing. Even making circles within eachother in paint isnt easy lol.

As for putting too big of a prop on there, I see what you mean. Throughout the thread it is mentioned to "find some way" to easily attach a larger diameter pipe...I just figured this method would work for the 1.75" - 2.0" props. By no means did I want to give the impression that these pumps would handle a huge prop. But for those wanting more kick than the 1.25" would kick out, I think this would work well.

If You had access to a CNC machine or were super good with a rotary tool you could do it NP. I would probably do it out of 1/4" acrylic and just taper down the areas that would slip under the clips on the MJ. Then the wall of the "connector" would be thick enough to really make a good strong joint inside the PVC as well
Old 02/08/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I just got my other Props.. and I was wondering, has anyone used 3 nitros on a MJ???

hum.....
Old 02/08/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I just got my other Props.. and I was wondering, has anyone used 3 nitros on a MJ???

hum.....
Old 02/09/2006, 10:09 AM
Why do I live in IL?

From what I have read, it doesnt sound like it would add much at all adding another prop. If you want more flow you need to get a bigger prop. From the looks of it 1.75 - 2.00" is as big as you can use.
Old 02/09/2006, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

This is what my mod will look like using the 1 3/4 Dumas prop, sch 80 mount & sch 80 slip coupler shroud.

[/IMG]

My question is, do you think I have enough inlet slots or should I lengthen the shroud to add more. The slots are 3/16 wide.
Old 02/09/2006, 11:20 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by coralreefing
This is what my mod will look like using the 1 3/4 Dumas prop, sch 80 mount & sch 80 slip coupler shroud.

[/IMG]

My question is, do you think I have enough inlet slots or should I lengthen the shroud to add more. The slots are 3/16 wide.

Dude... Nice drawings. You might be ok with just those inlet slots since your housing is pretty short and the propeller is pretty close to the MJ body. What are you planning on using for a cross brace?

D.
Old 02/09/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Like D, I don't see any crossbrace or any kind of stop to prevent it from spinning backwards. It looks interesting though. Nice drawings!
Old 02/09/2006, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

I'll probably use a cross brace like D uses, I just didn't draw it in yet. I wanted to see if it was too short before I cut the slip coupling. If I cut the coupling in half it would be this length & I could make 2 shrouds out of each coupler & save on materials. The overall length would just be 1 5/8. I see D's new short design is 2" long & has 6 slots with 1 1/4 props. I think mine would be clean looking & compact but I don't want to sacrifice flow. I guess I'll have to build a couple different lengths to see if it makes a diff.
Old 02/09/2006, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Hey D
How wide are your slots? If yours are 1/8 wide & mine are 50% wider & 30% longer due to the pipe OD. That would add up to about the same amount of opening.
Old 02/09/2006, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawnts106

hum.....
adding more props will get a greater total percentage of the potential flow with a given diameter and pitch. but each prop will get less and less additional flow as you approach the potential. so if 1 prop is 80% efficient, a 2nd might be 90% efficient, a 3rd might be 95%. but it is safe to say each additional prop increases resistance by a far greater factor.

so for equal force a single larger prop would be more effective.
Old 02/09/2006, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

hey coralreefing great drafting! I bet you weren't punched out, ha! its funny how this hobby can take precedence.

I usually have a window with either reefcentral or aquariumadvise open all day at work. how about you guys?
Old 02/09/2006, 02:52 PM
Moved On

Actually my slots are a bit larger than 1/8" I'd say they're more like 3/16"

D.
Old 02/09/2006, 02:53 PM
Moved On

I'm at work now

Surfing RC while on a conference call
Old 02/09/2006, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

humpin247
Thanks. Yep, still at work.
Old 02/09/2006, 03:41 PM
Why do I live in IL?

I am probably going to try using the coupler design as well with a dumas 1.75" prop and see how it turns out. I will probably go with the full length one though and cut more slots. I think it may make a good size difference. I would think ideally there would be no restriction to get full flow so I want to get as close to that as possible.
Old 02/09/2006, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

hey dhnguyen, whats with the booger picker picker? I had to of looked at him over a 100 times in the past week or so. I wish you would change it up a little! ha