Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/17/2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Ot: Ps3

has anyone able to get their hands on the ps3 today? I heard gamestop shipment got robbed at gunpoint. I didnt know that video games can be so real.
Old 11/17/2006, 12:33 PM
espyesitis sufferer

The violence is pretty sad I equate GTA to a Felony 101 class.

I always wait a year anyway before buying a next generation console. Give 'em time to work out the kinks
Old 11/17/2006, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

I don't know about the new PS 3, but my son plays world of warcraft and sold a virtual sword for $350 real dollars, go figure.
Old 11/17/2006, 12:53 PM
I'm all wet!

OH come on, can we please get off the band wagon of video games make kids and adults steal and kill...

People kill people, Not video games.

Self control and will is what they dont have, with no education and no good source of income. People in those classes are more likely to killl and steal.

But then again there has been high profile people that steal and kill.

Hey wynona ryder was caught stealing, I'm more than sure she doesnt play GTA.

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 11/17/2006, 12:56 PM
CERTIFIED REEF BUM

i got one...anybody want to trade it for??????
Old 11/17/2006, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

nu2w, thats not what i ment, i was just being sarcastic. but yes it is a sad to see this happening.
Old 11/17/2006, 01:06 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I know what you mean, Edwin. It does start at home. Kids in Japan aren't even subjected to ratings restrictions with games that are probably 10x more violent, yet adolescent crime is so much lower there.

The 'senseless violence' games don't help, though
Old 11/17/2006, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

congrat kimoy, put it on ebay they go about $3,000 now.
Old 11/17/2006, 01:11 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I should've called Kobe! He gave some to the TNT crew last night
Old 11/17/2006, 01:13 PM
CERTIFIED REEF BUM

i know man, my son won't let go of it. he has it locked up.
Old 11/17/2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Nice charity work for Kobe
Old 11/17/2006, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

I know that my viewpoint won't be popular but...

Problem with our society is that parents are no longer allowed to discipline their kids for bad behaviors. If you slap a child's wrist, you can be accused of abuse. One of my girls stuck her finger in my face and was yelling at me, and I slapped it out of the way. She threaten to call the cops. Society has taught her that she doesn't have to respect anyone. When I was growing up, if I even raised my voice to my parents, I would have gotten a nice leather belt to the butt. It kept me in line and taught me to follow rules. As a adult, I follow the rules and laws, and learn to respect others.

Another problem is that too many parents try to be their kids best friend instead of a parent. Don't get me wrong - with some kids, you don't need much discipline and can be their "friends". But if the kids need a good a** whipping - they should be given one!

Anybody remember the public caning of an American teenager in Singapore? It was outrageous that so many American were opposed it to. But I bet you that it's the public caning that keeps the teenage crime rate in that country so low. If it was one of my kids - I would have said - CANE AWAY!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

Quote:
Originally posted by Unarce
I know what you mean, Edwin. It does start at home. Kids in Japan aren't even subjected to ratings restrictions with games that are probably 10x more violent, yet adolescent crime is so much lower there.

The 'senseless violence' games don't help, though
Old 11/17/2006, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

I totally agree with Minh here. Our society has become far to soft on discipline. Parents are afraid now to discipline their children for fear of police involvement. I'll tell ya, when I grew up, I got the belt many times from my dad. You know what? It worked. I don't give a rats *** what the so called professionals say about corporal punishment. It works. If my kids ever disrespect me, I can guarantee I'll be going to jail.
Old 11/17/2006, 03:47 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Exactly!

Heck, I was so worried about getting the buckle-end of my Dad's belt, that I never stepped out of line.
Old 11/17/2006, 03:57 PM
I'm all wet!

Minh, I agree with you 110%..... A friend of mine kicked his son in the rear ( not hard at all), Because the kid left the house and they couldnt find him. The child is 5 and they found him 3 house's down in someone's backyard. Now the door should of been locked, but at that age, they are tall enough to get to the locks and open.

What happend, the neighbor called the cops and CPS. WHEN i was growing up. My father and mother disciplined me like they were disciplined. I am full blooded portuguese and let me tell you they have tempers. I know I got one :-)

But all kidding aside. THings like that, the father acted out of fear and didnt even hurt the child. But people have to overreact, ( Oh my god your abusing that child.)

Minh, I totally agree with you.

Parents do not know how to discipline there children and let them do what they want. If a kid is over active and hyper, they let the child run around screaming and yelling. OH they had ADD, give them med's and make 'em a zombie.

NO, Get that wooden spoon and smack'em, get tha hand and smack them across the head.

They will go "OH Crap, DAD means busines" But my wife, doesnt believe in hitting. She does the sit down thing. As of now it works on my daughters. The day one of my kids put's there finger in my face or smacks me. They got it coming and I told her that.

and Karl I think you might of misread my response.

ANd reefhobo, My response wasnt because of you.

Yes its sad to see, But more then likely it was some adult who did it not some kids. They saw the street value of the system and they acted on evil and greed.

Can I come over your house kimoy and play..... LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefugee
I know that my viewpoint won't be popular but...

Problem with our society is that parents are no longer allowed to discipline their kids for bad behaviors. If you slap a child's wrist, you can be accused of abuse. One of my girls stuck her finger in my face and was yelling at me, and I slapped it out of the way. She threaten to call the cops. Society has taught her that she doesn't have to respect anyone. When I was growing up, if I even raised my voice to my parents, I would have gotten a nice leather belt to the butt. It kept me in line and taught me to follow rules. As a adult, I follow the rules and laws, and learn to respect others.

Another problem is that too many parents try to be their kids best friend instead of a parent. Don't get me wrong - with some kids, you don't need much discipline and can be their "friends". But if the kids need a good a** whipping - they should be given one!

Anybody remember the public caning of an American teenager in Singapore? It was outrageous that so many American were opposed it to. But I bet you that it's the public caning that keeps the teenage crime rate in that country so low. If it was one of my kids - I would have said - CANE AWAY!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

Old 11/17/2006, 04:14 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I understood that you don't feel it's about the games themselves. Collectively, all the arguments can be factors of how family values are breaking down.

I do however, strongly believe that games like GTA desensitize children (and adults) to acts of violence
Old 11/17/2006, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

I too agree with Minh, even though many of those who didn't get a needed a**beating when they were kids result in job security for me now!
Seriously, even if these games are violent (and they are!), it is the parents' responsibility to control and censor what their kids are exposed to. The kids probably see stuff just as violent on CNN.
Old 11/17/2006, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

I disagree so strongly with all of you (intellectually & emotionally) that I am shaking right now.

Discipline is crucial in child rearing. Clear rules and consistent discipline.

However, discipline and physical punishment are NOT synonymous. In fact, in study after study it has been shown that physical punishment will cause short term behavior changes only and many other secondary undesirable results. Physical punishment applied inconsistently is usually indirectly responsible for the type of morals mentioned in the first post of this thread.

My credibility comes from my degree in psychology, my MD degree, my experience as a mother, and anecdotal evidence. Not to mention my experience as a firearms instructor.

Most of us were physically abused. We grew up in an era when parents didn't know any better. In that era smoking was also acceptable. Science has shown us that the violence in the world today can be traced directly to people who were raised with violence. Can't we learn a better way?

We have a responsibility to our children and to the future of the world as a whole to make sure we discipline our children consistently and model for them non-violent conflict resolution. It takes much more thought to devise fitting consequences for broken rules than it does to just whallop them. But I implore you all to try it. I assure you that it is worth the extra work. Beating someone smaller than you does NOT teach respect. It teaches fear. Do you admire a bully? Hitting a child because you are angry or because you are scared shows everyone that you have no self control. It teaches children that they don't need to learn self control.

it wouldn't hurt any of you to take a parenting class - or a class in child development - or child psychology. It wouldn't hurt you (or your offspring) to try consistent non-violent discipline.

Those of you who know me know that I usually ignore threads where people are spouting ignorant. But this topic is too important to ignore. I am not representing myself as a perfect parent. BUT: does anyone here have a problem with the behavior of any of my 3 children?

Oh and BTW - all of my offspring can shoot accurately & handle firearms SAFELY, they have all played GTA, and I am friend to all of them.
Old 11/17/2006, 10:12 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I greatly respect your opinion, Sherie. I'll strongly consider your ideals when it comes time to discipline my kids. At 7 and 3, they're too young for the 'old fashioned' scolding. However, they'll never know the belting I had gotten as a child.
Old 11/17/2006, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Its Friday, I am a little fiesty, so watch out Justin this one is a windbagger.............

I agree with you Minh, and I think that is the majority view....but as with most....the minority has a louder voice, and its effects have not been studied as much for consequences I would assume. However, things like this swing like a pendulum back and forth to keep things in balance, so we don't become too soft or too abusive.

I believe that there is a time and place to use the "whip" figurativley speaking, but only if the "carrot" is as easily achieved. From my observations, that the biggest problem when correcting your children, or adults for that matter, is when to administer the whip, how much and to what degree, and to use it consitently so the person can differentiate the cause and effect and correct the problem. I believe this will occur in the 3-10yr range.(obviously intensity based on age, we ain't talking about belting a 3yr olds, however done correctly in the correct amount could save one problems later....I am simply touching on the question of using physical sanctions at all, and if so when and to what degree,) (the belt is more about the psycology of it as the ultimate punishment and only used in extreme situations)

Depending on the indiviual, when proper maturity and interpersonal communication and reasoning skills have been achieved this form of sanction will have negative consequences in the long run......then the TV, video games, car are taken away....

For example I believe that a corrective measure be used only when one can't reason with the child effectivly and the real focus is to instill and reaffirm the psycological dog metality that you are the dominate in the parent/child relationship. The key is not to use that whip, but do it just enough effectivly so that fear of the punishment is more effective than the actuall punishment itself. (It sure worked like a charm on me) On the flip side, (H20's worst fear I imagine), is that I know of a child that has been "corrected" too much because of phycological problems no previously diagnosed. Because of this he no longer fears the "whip" so that sanction is now worthless and he is all that much worse, and probably doomed to be a predator.

But childeren are what they see and are taught in the end and communication and the parent keeping ones head clear and reminding oneself of the bigger picture, not just getting the kid to behave right now like a dog......is what is important.

Side note:
(By the way H20, backing your opinions with your educational merits rarely work on this site, and usually ends up with people challenging your view points with very polarizing arguements just trying to show you don't know what you are talking about in the faintest of ideas and usually you end up doing all the typing and they say "uhhh uhhhh thats not what I heard."

I will have completed my Mechanical Engineering degree in May, (after a VERY, VERY, VERY long collegiate career some kids in my classes were 9yrs old when I STARTED college. You know, life got in the way of school.),(further giving myself creditbility for my age for the people who back the wisdom ideology), but for some reason I always get into debates with others without any background on the subjects what so ever (not the MARS peeps, you guys know your stuff).......I find the population density of Engineers here amazing......everyone is one!!!!.......Just heads up and a FYI, because that made me think a little a remember some people just LOVE tearing people down and "putting them in there place" and have found those statements, though valued by myself, are not by others........remember below my profile used to say C.S.U.S. M.E. student........thats why it doesn't anymore.

I only say this in jest because I have always wanted to post like how you have posted here and tell people to take Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Statics, Dynamics, Materials...classes etc and then we will debate........ However, to be fair.....one certainly does not need a formal education to be an educated individual.......I just value it because I have put so much time and energy in mine, as I am sure you have. I have to admit, I am most afraid of the English major who contantly roams the forums in search of bad grammer......oooooooooooooo)

Just one pretentious collegepunk, smartarse, know-it-all to another........and by the way......I did take a Psycology class and a Sociology class......therefor based on our requirements for credibility on this matter I am qualified, correct and my opinions are valid?

I find the social and psycological aspects of this site sometimes more fun than the fish!!!!........So who beats their kids for looking at you funny, and who lets their children walk all over you so when older they will be unsocialized burdens on the taxpayers?

(reread a couple of times and make sure I am not being sacrcastic, hint, hint, before anyone gets upset and wastes as much time getting mad and taking it out on your keyboard in the form of text as I did in writing this for your reading pleasure.)

Last edited by dots; 11/17/2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11/17/2006, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

he....he....he....he ITS FRIDAY!!!!!
Old 11/17/2006, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Sherie,
I don't think any of us on here are advocating beating your kids on a regular basis and my personal feeling is that a spanking or something should only be a last resort. I agree with SacramentoDOTS's statements about using it as a last resort when/if you have a physically restrain an out-of-control kid. Many of us on here too can list out all of our credentials for the work we do, I just don't see the point in doing so.
I do commend you though for teaching your children about right and wrong and the proper use of, and respect for, firearms. I personally think that should also be taught in public schools along with the sex ed and banana-condom classes.

Yep, guess it is Friday, huh?
Old 11/18/2006, 12:32 AM
Moved On

my thought is if i had $500 to drop i would do it since i already got the hd tv hehehe
Old 11/18/2006, 01:36 AM
I'm all wet!

I know this may sound weird but I agree with sherie and doug also.

I can say by experience, That when I did something that I shouldnt, My mother would spank me and/or ground me to my room for a day. THough that didnt do much, because I had a nintendo and a tv and VCR at the age of 8. They failed to take away those things. But As I got older I respectably understood and listened to them more.

As an adult and a parent, I do not do the same as my parents and grandparents did. I have not "spanked" my daughters and would only do so in some exterme case. My wife takes the stand on what sherie expresss' and to this date, it has worked great. However, If one of them grabs a knife while my wife is loading the dishwasher or something dangerous, My wife and I have smacked them on there hands.

But at the same Time I think that kids need to have some fear instilled in them. As in the form of, "crap if I do this, Dad is not going to be happy and i am going to be in so much trouble."

My wife tell my oldest, if she doesnt listen she gets her movies taken away. WOrks great, shes almost 3. Lets hope that works when she gets older.

Because I will say this much, If i actually had to spank my daughters on the rear, across the back or head ( like Ive gotten done to me as a child) I would feel horrible and have such a guilty feeling.

Old 11/18/2006, 01:52 AM
Moved On

Several accounts in the news of violence concerning PSP3s.

At some store people were mugging folks waiting in line for the consoles. 3 am and everyone has $600 on them. Someone refused to comply and got shot.

Some teenager assaulted an old lady in the parking lot when she refused to sell her console to him.

Folks have been getting injured left and right in races for the consoles.

We talking monkeys can be pretty insane and stupid sometimes.