Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I actually purchased a pair to wipe out my GSP, after three months I am GSP free and the nudi's died. They never bothered any other corals (torch or frogspawn)
Old 12/05/2007, 01:59 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Leslie, "star polyps" is the common name for essentially all of the encrusting briareids in the hobby. The report of feeding on stoloniferans was a misidentification of another briareid. Other than star polyps and maybe a corky sea finger, there's no danger of it eating your other corals.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:33 PM
Invert Addict

See? Definitely no expert, especially when it comes to corals. Thanks for the correction Mike.

So obviously you shouldn't listen to me. What Mike & VAreefer say is pretty encouraging. If you don't care about the GSP you can siphon out as much of the nudis as possible & just wait.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:12 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieH
Marc - that's the same species. Looks like something got to it as the body seems torn & cerata are missing (they shed them when stressed or to deter predators). Did that happen when you captured it or do you think something in your tank tried to eat it?
I didn't capture it nor did I bring it home. I ran home and got my camera, took the pictures and left, pest-free.

I can't believe you see something missing. The animal looks intact to me, but what do I know?
Old 12/05/2007, 08:11 PM
Invert Addict

Take a closer look at the hind end (bottom) in the first picture. It's asymmetrical and torn. I think that's half a slug or less.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:13 PM
TRC Leader

Hmm. I have a feeling you are right. Glad I didn't buy it.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
Leslie, "star polyps" is the common name for essentially all of the encrusting briareids in the hobby. The report of feeding on stoloniferans was a misidentification of another briareid. Other than star polyps and maybe a corky sea finger, there's no danger of it eating your other corals.
ok, i spent about 2 hours siphoning out as many of these things as i could.

the bottom half of the rock i just removed since it was just completely covered. so i have it for sale if anybody wants it. it must have 100 of these nudis on it!

and off topic GREENBEAN who is that in your avatar?
Old 12/06/2007, 01:57 AM
Invert Addict

Inland Aquatics breeds or at least sells aiptasia-eating nudibranchs. Maybe they would be interested in trying to breed yours http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/products.html
Old 12/17/2007, 05:00 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

If anyone ends up attempting to breed these nudis, please let me know. It is one of the easiest to breed nudis if you have a food source (as evidenced by his pictures!) but this could be an opportunity to learn a great deal about their life cycle and we would be willing to lend assistance. You can send me a PM for more details.

Brian