Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/10/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

About my Flame Angel...

I just got a small Flame Angel for the first fish in my 29 gallon tank. I realize that I will have to wait and see whether or not he is a coral picker, and that also the tank is probably a little small for this kind of fish. Depending on how much he grows up, though, I expect I may have to either move him into a larger home or trade him.

The fish has been picking at my algae ever since the very moment that it was acclimated into the tank.

I was wondering:

1) Should I wait to feed it some rehydrated seaweed until after it has exhausted the natural supply of food on my rock and glass (in other words, has helped control my algae outbreak) ?

2) When I start to feed it, how much and how often should I feed?

3) Is anyone able to recommend from experience any small fish that the flame angel might get along with? I am looking to maybe add two more small fish (one at a time) after a while.

Old 07/10/2007, 07:03 PM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

1. I'd feed it to make sure it can take prepared food/gets some variety. Try a variety of food, such as mysis shrimp, frozen mashes, etc. Vegetable matter is needed as well.
2. I feed fish every other day personaly, but once a day is also ok.
3. I keep mine with gobies, clowns, and dottybacks. It may chase the dottyback when it feels like, but leaves everything else alone (the dottyback fits through holes in the rockwork which the flame can't, rapidly ending the chase )
Old 07/10/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Thank you, theatrus. I'll research the gobies and dottybacks, and pick up some mysis to go with the seaweed I bought today.
Old 07/10/2007, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

the algae in the tank is not going to be enough to sustain this fish.

Feed it and let it graze as well.
Old 07/10/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

You shouldnt have a problem with him picking at your corals as long as you keep it fed. I have had 1 in my 150 gal tank for a year now and he hasnt grown at all. So you shouldnt need to move him to another tank. But I was also thinking that they needed to be in a big tank, like 90 or more. I dont know. I also only feed my fish every other day. I feed, Flake food, Mysis shrimp, some Krill.
Old 07/10/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Feed frozen mysis and then vary it with pellets. Cut a small sheet of nori every 3 days which you can get cheap from Asian supermarket and buy the un-seasoned one (I paid $1.48 for 1 oz--10 sheets).
Old 07/10/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

I have a couple striped damels, a blue devil and 2 maroon clowns in my 75. I want to add one more fish. Would this fish be compatible with that bunch?
Old 07/11/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

I appreciate the advice from everyone! I knew I would have to supplement the diet, but was definitely enjoying watching him clean my tank! Flameangel88, I'll clip a small sheet of dried algae in the tank tonight (I hope he finds it), and pick up some meaty food from Petco this morning. I have some nori on the way.

I'd still love to hear from others whose flame angels successfully share the tank with other fish. I am interested in possibly getting a six-line, maroon clown, lawnmower blennie, or someone in the goby family.

Lusenut2, I went with LiveAquaria's 30 gal minimum recommendation when I researched buying this fish - hopefully he will be happy in my tank.

Stillcity, I'm hoping you learn that a flame angel will work with your current livestock. I'm finding that they are very graceful and interesting fish to watch!
Old 07/11/2007, 12:38 AM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

Flames can be territorial, but in my experience don't bother peaceful fish. For instance, my flame ignores my clowns when its trying to graze near their egg-laying site in my Xenia forest. The clowns try chasing the flame off, but he just manages to avoid them by circling around while stalking its tasty morsal on the rocks.

They are fun to watch in their perpetual grazing mode though