Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

OT:Great Day.

So I need some advice on various things so keep reading.

First off, I discovered my Tax Collector never cashed his check because either he or the postman, lost it. I owe another 300$ on top of the amount I tried to pay. Let's hope the Appeal isn't a BS process that will fail.

Secondly, while trying to figure out how to pay for a) a new roof, and b) a largish solar panel system, my water heater decides to empty via a rupture.

Thirdly, I'll have to replace my electrical panel -I'm fairly certain- to get ready for the solar system.

So advice:

1.Anyone know a good and Inexpensive electrical contractor who will do the panel and perhaps add a dedicated circuit of the old aquarium and a timer to the hot tub while he's at it.

2. Anyone got any advice on choices of Tankless water heaters, thoughts on whether it is a good idea and if the answer to 1) knows anything about them, that would be nice.

I'm due some luck so I'd better get better than 'H' in the next Frag swap. 'H' being my best so far Short of coral, definitely need to score.

I have to say, I surprisingly chipper despite the day so far. Any advice much appreciated. Hope you had a chuckle at my misery.
-Adrian
Old 01/02/2008, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Prayer is always good.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dochou
Prayer is always good.
but it doesn't pay the bills..
Old 01/03/2008, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

if you decide to use a tankless water heater you need a dedicated line right from your gas Point Of Connection at a 3/4 inch size. I looked into it for my house and that is what they told me. If your POC is farther away from where you want the heater you will need to bump up the size line to 1"!!

Gimme a call at the store and I can get you some phone numbers of contractors that have worked with us and were quite reasonable and did GREAT jobs.

tyler
Old 01/03/2008, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

On top of a beefy gas supply line, you also need to install a new stainless steel vent, which is going to be a lot lower than your existing one and need new hardware. Also you are not going to get as much savings on water heating bill with tankless heater here as compared to most colder places in midwest or north.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

interesting comments on the gas supply line. I don't want to mess around wasting too much time on this. I can shower at the health work, the wife at her health club. The kids are gonna be stinking.

My gas bill isn't huge anyway, I'm seriously doubting that it's going to be the way to go now

Tyler, I'll take you up on that. Electical and Gas contractors needed

Quote:
Originally posted by dochou
Prayer is always good.
I was going to ask for a good recommendation for a Chuch; Inexpensive and efficient... but didn't want to offend anyone.