Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Post Octopus Skimmer Gate Valve Mod

I've been trying to find a thread or site that has a walkthrough of how to do the gate valve mod on the Octopus Skimmers. I'm getting an Octopus NW-150 and I don't want to buy the mod for $35 plus shipping - plus, I'd rather do it myself anyway.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by jcpatella; 10/20/2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10/21/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Here is the site that explains how to install the purchased mod kit. It doesn't have any information on the size PVC to use (for obvious reasons). Does anyone know? Also, if anyone has done this mod, was it worth it to diy?
Old 10/21/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

gate valve mod is a valuable mod for nearly every skimmer
Old 10/22/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

will this also work with the Aquaeuro skimmers?
Old 10/22/2007, 02:11 PM
TRC Leader

jcpatella, when you get your skimmer, just measure the riser tube, that is the size you will need to make everything. I don't know your skimmer or I could tell you. Your most expensive part will be the gate valve.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 10/22/2007, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

I'm sifting through >40 pages of mods for this skimmer. I've come cross one post that said 1.5" tubing. Konadog - I'll probably end up doing it this way, I just wanted to have this mod ready for when I received the skimmer. Thanks!
Old 10/23/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

could you link me to that thread please? I read through it long ago but can't access it now that I want to do the gate-valve mod for my NW-200.

EDIT: well I just went ahead and ordered the NW-200 gate-valve kit from them. I know I could've just made it myself for less but I'm busy and just want it to be easy.

The only think I wonder is if you can submerge the end of the outflow to eliminate splashing. The riser pipe still extends up to vent so I wouldn't think it's a problem submerging the water outflow but maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by Snausy; 10/23/2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10/23/2007, 08:29 AM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
I'm sifting through >40 pages of mods for this skimmer. I've come cross one post that said 1.5" tubing. Konadog - I'll probably end up doing it this way, I just wanted to have this mod ready for when I received the skimmer. Thanks!
That was probably my post, and the 1.5" tubing was the stepdown PVC size for the FDNW-400 skimmer, which is the largest skimmer they make.

What you need, will depend upon which model of Octopus skimmer that you are using.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snausy
The only think I wonder is if you can submerge the end of the outflow to eliminate splashing. The riser pipe still extends up to vent so I wouldn't think it's a problem submerging the water outflow but maybe I'm missing something.
Yeah, you can submerge the out flow. I do it, and it doesn't seem to make any issues with the operation of the skimmer. Plus I imagine it quiets down the overall noise level slightly.

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 10/23/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

i submerg the end of mine and it is near silent.
i'll take some picks in a minut and post them
Old 10/23/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

skimmer with gate valve in action.

1 1/2" pvc fits on the nw-150 snug not sure if 200 is same

all the parts with measurements (i ordered my gate valve from usplastic.com)
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...FQYjWAod3n51Rg

a few extra mods you might want to add
extra silencer:
i just drilled a hole in the top and bottom of a water botel put a paper towel in there along with the factory scilencer.

extra skimate storage:
I drilled a drain out on the side of my colection cup and ran tubing into a juice container for extra volume.
i also drilled out a drain a little lower in the botel and ran tubing into the tank just incase the skimmer acts up i wont have a wet carpet.

My happy hard working skimmer in action :-)
Old 10/23/2007, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you very much - this really lays it out. What size tank do you have it sitting in? I have a very limited space in my sump...
Old 10/23/2007, 02:07 PM
TRC Leader

Is there a reason you made your vent pipe 13.5" long? It doesn't do much once past the top of the riser in the collection cup other than take up space.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 10/23/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

What does the gate valve mod do for the skimmer
Old 10/23/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

1) Allows you to direct output flow (into a filter sock for instance)
2) Make slight changes without getting hands wet
Old 10/23/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I belive the gate valve allows very precise adjustments of the level within the skimmer. You can tune for wtter or dryer skimate. Additionally if you mod it for more air input you may need to lower the level to stop from overflowing.
Old 10/23/2007, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

I've seen some pictures of the gate valve mod that have the actual gate valve on the vertical riser tube.

What is the difference in having it here, rather than horizontally after the wye?
Old 10/23/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

not as easy to access it

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 10/23/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

The gate-valve is going to make a HUGE difference to me.

First of all the riser-pipe outflow always creates an umbrella effect making all kinds of water noise. It never just goes nicely down the outsides of the pipe anymore. I have to put up plexiglass on the inside of the sump extending a foot above the sump wall to keep the water in the sump. I've had mine running for six months now and I can't stand it anymore.

Also the stupid nitrate-factory foam discs aren't tight on the pipe and slide down under the water doing nothing to slow the flow. Not that they would anyway because the umbrella of water is wider and goes around/over them. They haven't worked for me for months.

I'm also SICK of worrying about what's on my hands when I want to adjust the skimmer level. Getting wet is bad enough but I hate always worrying what you were doing with your hands before adjusting the level. Contaminating the tank with anything freaks me out. I've put way too much time and energy into the health of my tank to ruin it because I want the foam head half an inch higher.

I'm so looking forward to being able to adjust the head-level without touching the water.

It will make a huge difference for me indeed and I can't believe I didn't do it earlier.

Last edited by Snausy; 10/23/2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10/23/2007, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

That's why I'm not even setting it up without this mod!
Old 10/23/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

i have the skimmer in a 9.5" wide dived section of my 20Long sump. the riser is so long because i did not feel like going back out to my garage to make another cut. you could definatly shorten the top part a bit if you need i was only concerned with getting the bottom part to the corect length. the bottom tube is about as small as you can make it with out creating a 2nd restriction.
Old 10/23/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

the gate valve alowes you to make the slightest adjustments possiable. I used a ball valve until my gate valve arrived in the mail and the bal valve was near useless because any adjustment you made was way to drastic. the gate valve is the best mod in my opinion
Old 11/28/2007, 09:49 PM
Reefer

In an attempt to get even MORE air into my FDNW-400, I've just ordered a 3/4" Kent Turbo Venturi.

It should be interesting to see how much more air it can pull through the intake, and since I have a gate valve on the intake as well, if hooked up right behind the GV, I should be able to control the air/water ratio at the intake.

I'll post up once it arrives and is installed.

-Tim
Old 12/04/2007, 12:57 PM
Reefer

I just installed the venturi, and while it does slow down the water flow to my skimmer, it's pulling A LOT more air and producing a drier foam...

I'm not sure if the pros (more air, drier foam & greater contact time) outweigh the cons (restricted water flow through skimmer) at this point, but I'll run it as is for a few days to see what's going on.

-Tim
Old 12/04/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Good deal - keep us posted.