Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 02:09 PM
Reefer

Due to the venturis natural flow restrictions, I obviously removed the INTAKE gate valve since it was no longer needed... Also, I've already noticed that the level is perfectly maintained, without any of the fluctuations that I had before.

-Tim
Old 12/04/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand why you would have an "intake" gate-valve mod in the first place. The venturi pulls in what it pulls in...why would you want to restrict that?

If the new venturi pulls in more air, then great but less water? The pump is the same.
Old 12/04/2007, 05:59 PM
Reefer

The intake gate valve was due to the 1" supply line and large feed pump... Tuning it back just a touch kept my skimmer from pulsing due to TOO MUCH water.

The venturi is 3/4" tapered down to ever so small, so the restriction is huge in comparrison to what I had... No matter how you slice it, smaller diameter intake = less water being processed through the skimmer!

-Tim
Old 01/11/2008, 01:25 PM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

I only have 2.5 inches of room above my skimmer can I cut the longer top pvc piece down to fit and still have the mod work the way it's supposed too?

not my skimmer btw

Old 01/11/2008, 02:09 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, that pipe doesn't have to be that tall. IMO, it really shouldn't be higher than the top of the riser tube in the skimmer.

-Ken

MASLAC member