Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 07:57 PM
Nothing to put here

Wiring 101 - tunze osmolator and multicontroller

Hello all,

I recently had to change out the pump for my tunze osmolator, and I could not disconnect the original pump. So I snipped the wire, stripped it, and wired it to the new pump. I have never done any kind of electrical work before. Is this okay to do? Does this look alright? I dont want to start a fire or something.

Also, is there any way I can do something similar to add extra LED moonlights to my multicontroller? It only comes with one LED which doesn't cover a 4' tank. 1-3 more would be nice. I could just add them in separately, but the multicontroller varies the intensity on a 29 day cycle, so it would be nice to have them all controlled.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I looks alright, but I would not leave it like that. Go to your local hardware store and get a splice kit with heat shrink tubing to seal the connection. This will prevent any chance of electric shock. If you can't find a splice kit a bullet crimp-on splice will work fine with quality electrical tape (3M 33+) wrapped around the splices. If you are wondering about my credentials I have worked under my master electrician father for years. For now until you get the splices I would atleast wrap your wire nuts in some electrical tape.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Its 9vdc I dont think it would hurt you even if you stuck your tongue in it, should be just fine looks dry back there.

Don
Old 01/10/2008, 08:42 PM
Nothing to put here

Thanks.

Any input on the multicontroller moonlight?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Radio shack sells the connectors that came with the Tunze kits. The come in a series of I think 8 connections and you just snap off 2 for use on the pump.
They are low voltage pumps so the way you did it will be okay. Better if you soldered/heat shrinked them for corrosion free connection. Tunze just uses the little screw connections and thats it and they do get corrosion over time