Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2006, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Bravo
Old 11/03/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

A little off topic, but somthing that has been in the back of my mind since I started reading this. But does anyone know the basis of why such a strict ban on coral and most other invertabrates has been put in place, but the flow of marine fish in and out of the Islands is allowed to flow so freely?

If we could work off of what started the problem with the people in power, we may have a chance to better the law for the marine eosystem around the Islands, and make them a more welcoming place to the marine reef enthusiust.

Just my $0.02
Old 11/03/2006, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

there is a LONG list of fish that Cannot enter Hawaii. If AG finds one of these fish in the box while checking they will confiscate it. fish do not flow as freely as you think.
Old 11/03/2006, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Bravo? nonsense...

So much to offer... but So conceited...

Quote:
Originally posted by JCDelbeek
I was pointed to this thread and feel the need to point out, as others have, that anyone who posts messages mentioning that they have illegally imported animals in their tanks in Hawaii, should be aware that having done so (importing banned animals) constitutes a FEDERAL offense. As such, RC can be required to turn over the identity of the poster to federal officials if asked. If you are caught with these things in your home tank, you will be charged and taken to federal court where fines and jail time are a distinct possibility.
If others have pointed it out, why do you feel the need? Have you determined that something said in this thread is incriminating? I don’t believe anyone said they imported anything... It was mentioned it is possible, and what banned animals are you referring to? The few animals not on the conditionally approved list, or restricted list B with a permit?

Quote:
There is no sense bemoaning the laws and questioning their logic, the reality is they are there ... so learn to live with them or work to change them ... but don't break them.
People "bemoan" laws every day, just watch CNN or FOX... questioning logic is the beginning of working toward change, and I encourage it. That does not mean I encourage breaking the law. By the way… wasn’t the largest case of an alien species introduced to our beautiful State caused by a State employee at Coconut Island? Just to continue the bemoaning.

Quote:
Bottom line, do everyone a favour and stop importing illegal animals, stop collecting live rock and work with other hobbyists in the state to lobby them to relax some of the collection restrictions.
Do everyone a favor? Who is importing illegal animals on this thread exactly? Who said they collected live rock? Are we not working with other hobbyists in the State, in the very beginning stages right now? Shouldn’t you be praising those that are trying to culture their own live rock?

You are an experienced and respected aquarist Charles, but I am frankly amazed at your condescending and frankly threatening attitude toward the intelligent people in this thread. Did you take the time to read all the posts in this thread, as I took the time to purchase and read your book? I have already had people call me discouraged by your post, hence my anger. Your response was a little off the cuff and premature, Charles. I would ask you to apologize to the people of this thread, but I now feel that may be below you. Are you a friend or foe, JCD? or just an antagonist?

To the good people of our club, I am willing to set up our own website for our club, just say the word.

Still Respectfully,
Don Williams
Old 11/03/2006, 09:47 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
Just FYI - "oama".
Someone call me?
Old 11/03/2006, 09:51 PM
grouchy hermit

Let's all take a deep breath. I took Charles' message to be more of a precaution regarding the laws and the possible penalties involved. As such, it's a good reminder to all of us. I agree that as reef aquarists, we need to be aware of our environment and need to make sure that we don't cause damage to our reefs by our activities and make sure we prevent nonnative species from being established in our waters. Having said that, it's hard to imagine how our hobby could do so with the limited numbers we have and the type of organisms that we hope to keep (for instance, it's not like our colonies of palythoas are going to break out of our aquariums and sneak into the wild unlike snakes, iguanas, sugar gliders, etc. etc.)

As many of us have said before, the goal here is to promote reefkeeping in Hawaii and the ways to have a tank here. We have already discussed the possibility of captive culturing of live rock and I think this is very doable and would be highly sustainable. By promoting our hobby in this fashion, we make it easier for us in the future to get the laws changed regarding the importation of certain organisms and the collection of other organisms here in Hawaii that are currently prohibited. We could also work on captive propagation of the native palys and zoos that we have now to reduce the burden of wild-caught specimens. The public still believes that all corals grow at the pace of glaciers whereas the rapid growth of Acropora sp. has been well documented in RC and in the scientific literature (non-native to Hawaii though )

I would like to work within the boundaires of Reef Central if possible but if others wish to move this forum to a private website, I'd be OK with either.

My 2 cents (my 2 grains of oolitic sand)

Spleen
Old 11/03/2006, 09:52 PM
grouchy hermit

Quote:
Originally posted by oama
Someone call me?
heh.

Spleen
Old 11/03/2006, 10:09 PM
top of the top

so is the club still happening?
after reading the posts i thought that there are possibilities for the state to make changes in regulations
but not laws
maybe even that too
Old 11/03/2006, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Yes, the club is still happening. The best thing for those of us who respect the law, and have a love for coral and fish in Hawaii is to stick together in my opinion. I have never found a better "slice" of society than those who can appreciate and care for coral. As far as laws and regulations, don't expect those to change for a long time, if ever, thats just the way it works.

Don
Old 11/03/2006, 11:14 PM
top of the top

hey Don did u read an earlier post of mines with some ideas i had
just thought it would make the club more fun
Old 11/03/2006, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Wow, that was a pretty intense post nodea717. Don't forget Charles could be one of our best allies in this whole thing. I don't think attacking him will help us get to where we want to be any faster. I don't think he said anything out of line.

I do believe people were referring to bringing in coral at the beginning of this thread.

I also must comment on the notion of coral crawling out of our tanks to the ocean. this may be true but people do stupid things everyday. that is why I see Christmas island flame angels in Waianae boat harbor, and lemon peel angels at the Oceanic Institute pier. I highly doubt they crawled there on their own.

Please people. we are not here to knock each other down.

he was only saying what I believe RGBmatt, Zemeron and many others have also been saying.

Last edited by pactrop; 11/04/2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11/04/2006, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

When I was in Oahu for a short visit I actually got a chance to visit one of the collector's holding tanks and I did not see anything illegal such as live rocks, corals, etc. All his fish was well cared for and I wished all collectors around the world would do the same.
Old 11/04/2006, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

I also agree with pactrop. JCD would help immensely in our endeavors to change anything. I dont think he was attacking anyone specifically. But he did make valid points. If there is any mention of bringing in corals or illegal fish/rock etc, RC may be forced to reveal specific names. Even the mention of having a singe coral (since ALL coral is illegal here)

I am all for a reef club/forum, and would love to talk story with everyone! We just have to be careful in doing it. hopefully the laws change eventually, because this would be a perfect place to have a reef tank and even culture live corals for re-sale to help the hobby. You cannot beat natural sunlight!

Hope to see you all at the get together - when is it by the way?
Old 11/04/2006, 03:16 AM
grouchy hermit

Quote:
Originally posted by pactrop
I also must comment on the notion of coral crawling out of our tanks to the ocean. this may be true but people do stupid things everyday. that is why I see Christmas island flame angels in Waianae boat harbor, and lemon peel angels at the Oceanic Institute pier. I highly doubt they crawled there on their own.

Please people. we are not here to knock each other down.
I also completely agree with this and this is once again where people need to be educated about the dangers of releasing their aquarium inhabitants into the wild. I think that DLNR actually has an ad about this on TV that I see every now and then. Still, this is not a problem unique to marine invertebrates or fish. Should we therefore prohibit the importation of anything that is non-native to the Hawaiian islands? Bunny rabbits? Cats and dogs? (sshhhhhh! )

We will definitely pull ahead better if we work together rather than work against each other.

Just out of curiosity, how does a Christmas Island flame angel differ from a Hawaiian flame angel?

Spleen
Old 11/04/2006, 03:52 AM
Premium Member

Great question.

Here is a thread about it

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=883278

Also, Flame angels arent usually found in 1 foot of water at boat harbors. That is just a really easy place to drop them in the ocean.
Old 11/04/2006, 04:18 AM
grouchy hermit

LOL - didn't expect a thread on it. Interesting reading though - thanks for the link!

Spleen
Old 11/04/2006, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

Re: Bravo? nonsense...

Has it come to this already? Normally I do not like to rant, but this is something I feel strongly about.

Quote:
Originally posted by nodea717
So much to offer... but So conceited...
This makes me sad. Mr. Delbeek is one of Hawaii's most knowledgeable and respected aquarists, and we can do better than alienating people like him with petty insults. As somebody to whom our hobby is a full-time job, he has a perspective that most of us lack.

Charles has pointed out something that is plainly obvious: people on this thread have openly admitted to breaking state and federal laws. I do not need to quote them; their posts stick out like sore thumbs in the first two pages of this thread and looking them up is easy. This is not a trivial matter; people have served jail time in Hawaii for this and there are people on this island who would be very happy to see you punished for it. Discussing this sort of thing here, or trying to swap non-native coral frags at club meetings (as one poster did indeed suggest) is a bad idea for their own sake.

While that may sound harsh, it's the plain truth and there's no sense sugar-coating it. Most of us understand this and are willing to work with the system instead of against it, but apparently not everyone does. This can only serve to reinforce the negative opinions that many people have of aquariums.

Quote:
As far as laws and regulations, don't expect those to change for a long time, if ever, thats just the way it works.
I respectfully disagree. This being a democratic society, laws stem from the concerns of the people. The anti-aquarium laws that we now have arose by this process - the people of Hawaii recognized that intact reefs were important for our lifestyle and economy. Taking live rock and breaking coral can be extremely destructive activities, and we are much better off now that they're prohibited. In the '60s and '70s, it was common for divers to demolish entire coral heads in search of rare shells and other specimens!

Will a small number of aquarium hobbyists taking small amounts of live rock and coral fragments for their own personal use really damage the environment? Of course not, but the powers that be will not recognize that unless it can be demonstrated by people like us. If we make our voices heard, the regulations can reflect our interests as well, although it may not happen overnight.

As it stands, collecting corals and live rock can be done legally with the proper permits. As a matter of fact, I have a permit that allows me to collect live rock for research purposes (I work at UH), although obviously I can't use it in my aquarium. Scientists here routinely collect corals and live rock, which they are allowed to do because the state feels their activities are beneficial and outweigh the potential cost. I believe it is possible to demonstrate that our hobby is an asset to our state rather than a burden.

Regarding invertebrates, many can reproduce asexually and there may be more risk of them becoming established than with fish. IMO enjoying introduced species in aquaria is something that should only be permitted if there are careful provisions to prevent their escape.

Here is a good article about how deep reef habitats in Hawaii are being overgrown by an introduced soft coral. This is something that I have seen personally, and it breaks my heart. It is part of my job at UH to review video records from our submersibles, including some of the dives mentioned in the article. Seeing once-thriving forests of black coral trees lifeless and engulfed by snowflake coral is an awesome sight; one which we should avoid repeating at all costs.

Last edited by RGBMatt; 11/04/2006 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11/04/2006, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco1l1d
Zemuron, I had considered collection a few fish for whan I return home for christmas but am worried about the health of the animals I would be trying to collect. Any tips to catching marine species on the Islands?
Shoots
Vance
I think Nautilus808 was exaggerating. As long as you are gentle with the animals you catch, they should be OK. If you are catching fish with nets, treat them carefully and make sure they don't get tangled, bruised, or abraded. Hold them in solid containers (not collapsible bags) with pleny of clean water so they don't go hypoxic or get ammonia burn. Most of this is common sense; the rules are the same as handling fish in your aquarium.

Learning to catch fish is another matter, however! I remember when I first started, and I was awful at it - all I could catch were puffers and scorpion fish. The only solution is lots of practice and a willingness to learn from your mistakes. As a beginner, you might find some unique specimens stuck in tidepools, which will usually be easy to catch.
Old 11/04/2006, 06:16 AM
Vegetative Protoplasm

I use to dive Kaneohe Bay a lot 8 years or more ago. We'd encounter Lemon Peel Angels every now and then. They were thought to be "released" fish. But, If you know where to look, you could find Potters and Flames in shallow waters (<10ft). But that was 8 years ago. I have no idea how collecting pressures have effected the reefs since.
Old 11/04/2006, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

I know a spot in Kaneohe Bay where you can see flame angels - a pair of Christmas Island flames lives on the wall to the left of the boat ramp at Heeia. There's another one on the right side of Keehi Lagoon boat ramp.
Old 11/04/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

I've seen a pair of Potters angels over in Kewalo Basin. I'm not going to be able to attend the first get together. Got to work.
Old 11/04/2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

At first I was wondering whats the big deal in keeping imported corals in Hawaii compared to the Mainland until I went to Hawaii and swam in the ocean. I forgot, the water is warmer there. All it takes is a frag of coral from you tank to hit the ocean and then it could become and invasive coral devestating native species.

For example, here in California someone was cleaning out his tank and dumped it in Huntington Harbor and thought nothing of it. A few years later his small piece of caulerpa which he dumped as well florished in the Harbor choking out marine life and native plants species. It took the City and State millions of dollars and countless years to remove this caulerpa. Now this caulerpa is banned in California
Old 11/05/2006, 03:33 AM
grouchy hermit

Matt - snowflake coral is thought to have been introduced by ship ballast water or encrustations on ships coming in? At least that's my recollection ...

I remember when I first tried collecting my own fish - I was randomly swishing dipnets in tidepools to catch baby mamo and manini. Mostly released because I was just having fun (this is small kid time). I can't say that I've improved all that much since then ... good thing that I don't collect my own fish.

Spleen
Old 11/05/2006, 03:55 AM
Premium Member

You are correct about the snowflake coral being brought in by ship but I think he is just pointing out how introduction, no matter how it is done, is a bad thing.
Old 11/10/2006, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys, I sent everyone a PM with date, time and directions to the BBQ... If I missed someone that would like to attend please send me a PM.

Also, please respond with a PM if you plan on attending so I can plan appropriatley. So far I have six that have acknowledged that they are coming.

See you there!
Don