Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/12/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Fish Planet On Channel 3 news

Channel 3 news just ran a story on Fish Planet. Looks like he has his sharks finally in the 5000 gallon. Also said their Grand Opening was coming up.

He ended up getting the sharks from a wholesale in Socal along with a Stiped honey comb Eel.
Old 04/12/2007, 08:35 PM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

I was there last night drooling with envy.
Old 04/12/2007, 09:42 PM
Moved On

Awesome, encourage people to buy requiem sharks and stick them in way too small of a tank. I can just see it now..."If they can put 2 in a 5000, I can probably get away with a baby in a 300..."

Gimmicks sell fish tanks I guess. And Channel 3 is right there to cover it.
Old 04/13/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

He said right on the interview on how they were not for sale that people need to have a very large system to meet the needs of them.

I thought he was very responible in the interview about the sharks.

I dont see the negitive side like you , I see public light on the marine hobbist scene and new members to add to the club.

I see where you are coming but I belive the stores in the sacramento area espeical Fish planet with his back ground being a marine Biologist that has worked all over the world would inform the customer on the requirments of such a speicie.
Old 04/13/2007, 12:16 PM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Quote:
Originally posted by juaninsac
Awesome, encourage people to buy requiem sharks and stick them in way too small of a tank. I can just see it now..."If they can put 2 in a 5000, I can probably get away with a baby in a 300..."

Gimmicks sell fish tanks I guess. And Channel 3 is right there to cover it.
Before flaming the guy, why don't you talk to him first, instead of making assumptions.

Anyway, I enjoyed the tank, and I heard it cost about 100k to have that huge tank built. My greatest hope is that the people of Sacramento realize a large marine zoo/aquarium is needed in Sac, but I know that is a pipe dream because of the situation with the Sac Zoo.
Old 04/13/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

juaninsac,

A very similar argument can be waged for the captivity of any animal, especially for the implicit purpose of human viewing and entertainment. Yet, you probably do the same at a different scale. Your presence here and your link to the Academy website would indicate so.
Old 04/13/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

The owner of this store spoke at a MARS meeting. Just the video he presented gave great insight to sharks and the transportation and care of them. He taught my son and I more about sharks than we ever knew about in a few hours. He does truly care for this creatures.

I dont want to start a flame or anything my comments where not directed for that but to say it is illresponsible for a store like fish planet to show the uneducated public and tease them into the hobby is saying places like the Academy and Monerey Bay Aquarium only does this on a larger scale.

I am one of those people that truly belive the answer to many of lifes mysteries will be found in our oceans and rivers.

Should a animal be placed in a small aquarium with inaquiate equpiment ? Aboultly not , I have reported pet stores repeatedly when I see conditions that are not to the animals best interests.

But instead of bashing on a person for such a act I try to help improve the situation but helping to educate the person on what needs to be done to help provide the best needs of the creature.

Anger begets anger , Education begets education.

Since building my nano I have built 2 other nanos for friends and have watched and consulted with these people. I cant belive how great they are doing with these , the research and the results they have gotten.

Like i said before , I think this is great for local area people to get interest it not only helps the local business and clubs but will also help out of area places like the Academy and Monterey aquarium and such. Those funds only help not only the hobby but the understanding of our world and more.

Montrey Bay has a speices of Rock fish that was near extinction. With their help has started to thrive and rebuild its numbers.

Ok rant off , my fingers need a break :P
Old 04/13/2007, 08:45 PM
Moved On

I should really sit down and compose a post well before I put my foot in my mouth. I'm 2 for 2 the last few days...

Just to be clear, I never meant to "flame" this shop or the owner. I'm happy that we have a store in the Sac area that's run by someone with the experience to do it well. I hope that the store lives up to its great potential.

I simply think the sharks should be put in a much larger tank.
Old 04/14/2007, 01:58 AM
Premium Member

juaninsac (or S.F?),
Your passion for the well being of marine life is apparent to all of us. Your intentions were obviously noble; Cheers to you.

Not to hijack - but why don't you start a thread about your experiences at the Steinhart Aquarium. You've been working there for at least a couple of weeks, right? I'd love to hear how it's been so far.

Best wishes,
-P
Old 04/14/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

for those of you who havent seen it yete I took a little video for you

Old 04/15/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the video! def. need to check it out in person sometime
Old 04/15/2007, 10:08 AM
My tank is too full

That is pretty cool.

To thine own self be true