Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/23/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

What's the oldest captive SPS lineage?

I hope everyone understands what I'm asking. I'm wondering about some of the corals that were kept way back when SPS were still fairly new to the hobby. I wasn't in the hobby back then, so I don't really know. Are any of them still around today? I know it must be hard keeping track of a coral's lineage as it is propagated and passed along, but are there any known corals that go way back?
Old 09/23/2007, 02:35 PM
SPS Kibitzer

I know there are some real old ones out there, one that comes to mind is the Tyree Purple Monster
Old 09/23/2007, 02:51 PM
clownfish fan

Bali green slimmer?
Old 09/23/2007, 03:09 PM
RC Sponsor

Stuber's Staghorn

I believe the Stuber’s Staghorn is the oldest strain of Acropora on record. The name Stuber's Acropora is derived from a German aquarists last name that was the first person to successfully maintained Acropora in an aquarium in the 1980's. This coral apparently sprouted from a piece of live rock in Stuber's aquarium. ORA (Oceans Reefs and Aquariums) still propagates this well known strain of Acropora.

Cheers,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith
Old 09/23/2007, 03:23 PM
Flips....R'U ?

Back then no designer name applied to the coral.
I have one coral which is dated since 96 still living until now, Tri color valida. That colony would have been a monster by now if no trimmings were made.
I have a lot of old pieces which I gotten from Tyree Dynamic Ecomorphology.. Noel Curry's Scientific Coral, Jeff Turners Exotic Aquaria, Bob Mankin, Garf. All still w/ me.
Old 09/23/2007, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

I guess you would have to define your question better to what type of answer you are looking for.

From what I have learned, in the early days it was much simmilar to getting a box of wild pieces today, a box of corals some cool others not. Then the problem became how to keep the suckers and when the husbandry and technology was available the "collectibles" that were named began to pop up.

So are you looking for the "tri-color valida" or "purple tipped acro" that evolved into the named pieces by the first to have it I am guessing, ie: Tubs, the LFS it came from etc....to the catchy names that we recognize today.....or do you want to find out about the more "grass roots" side of the hobby which didn't have a bunch of names and what was popular then?
Old 09/23/2007, 04:32 PM
Boomer gave me this

Stubers stag is the oldest still surviving, but for colorful stuff i'd say the tyree purple monster.
Old 09/23/2007, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

It almosts eems as if the oldest lines are also the ones which cannot be identified to species. As if the morphology has changed so much from captive propogation that comparison to wild known specimens is improbable.
Old 09/23/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Re: Stuber's Staghorn

Quote:
Originally posted by DFS
I believe the Stuber’s Staghorn is the oldest strain of Acropora on record. The name Stuber's Acropora is derived from a German aquarists last name that was the first person to successfully maintained Acropora in an aquarium in the 1980's. This coral apparently sprouted from a piece of live rock in Stuber's aquarium. ORA (Oceans Reefs and Aquariums) still propagates this well known strain of Acropora.

Cheers,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith
Wow! That's the kind of thing I was wondering about; how long some strains have been in captivity. It's interesting to think that some corals have so much history. I may have to pick one of those up just to be a part of it.
Old 09/23/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Hello,
I have some of the Stuber acropora which was described above. From Dietrich Stubers tank in Germany, I believe it then went to Peter Wilkens tank, then Alf Nilsen in Norway then across the Atlantic to Julians tank, and Julian then sent me a frag in the early 90's and I have some today. I believe the original Stuber colony was started ~1982 but I may be off by a bit.

The other oldy I have is from a purple tip acro I purchased in 1993.
Here is a close up of the coral.

Here is the same colony which is located on the right side of the pic.

Its amazing how far the hobby has come in the last 20 years.
Old 09/23/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dots
I guess you would have to define your question better to what type of answer you are looking for.

From what I have learned, in the early days it was much simmilar to getting a box of wild pieces today, a box of corals some cool others not. Then the problem became how to keep the suckers and when the husbandry and technology was available the "collectibles" that were named began to pop up.

So are you looking for the "tri-color valida" or "purple tipped acro" that evolved into the named pieces by the first to have it I am guessing, ie: Tubs, the LFS it came from etc....to the catchy names that we recognize today.....or do you want to find out about the more "grass roots" side of the hobby which didn't have a bunch of names and what was popular then?
I was mainly wondering about specific strains that have been maintained to this day with whatever name they might have. But it would also be interesting to hear what kinds of corals were kept in the past and how/why imports have changed. We certainly get more colorful corals nowadays. Or maybe we're just better at maintaining their colors.
Old 09/23/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jefe12234
I was mainly wondering about specific strains that have been maintained to this day with whatever name they might have. But it would also be interesting to hear what kinds of corals were kept in the past and how/why imports have changed. We certainly get more colorful corals nowadays. Or maybe we're just better at maintaining their colors.
There is a good thread on the history of reef keeping that was recently posted but I can't find it right now. If anyone can find it, please post a link to it.
In the early days in USA it was basically catalaphyllia, euphyllia, trachyphyllia, goniopora and some favia if you were lucky besides softies and mushrooms. Also keep in mind that in Europe they were usually 10 years ahead of us here in the USA, and Alf Nilsen had tanks in the early 90's that would rival todays tanks.
Tube worm rock didn't even acknowledge that they were growing in live porites coral. I'd buy a standard soft coral because on its base rock there were a few individual polyps of a stony coral that would hopefully survive and grow into something. It took a long time for the wants/ needs of the hobbyists to make its way out to the collectors.
Most of the corals seen today were not imported then, but with that said, we are much better today at maintaining these corals and their colors.
Old 09/23/2007, 06:09 PM
How a relationship works

most of the ORA corals go way back

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 09/23/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justjoe
There is a good thread on the history of reef keeping that was recently posted but I can't find it right now. If anyone can find it, please post a link to it.
Yes, please post. That would be interesting.
Old 09/23/2007, 07:17 PM
The Original Happy Banana

I remember having a Stubers stag in the early-mid 1990s....

Wow...nice memory.
Old 09/23/2007, 07:24 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Nice Joe!
Old 09/23/2007, 07:48 PM
Catch and release

Stuber's stag is the oldest I have heard of as well.
Old 09/23/2007, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

There are a number of threads that talk about the lineage of certain pieces.......superman danae is one of them that I have seen on here in recent months.
Old 09/24/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Stubers the oldest I know of then the famous Larry Jackson stag which was Valida I believe.