Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2003, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

ID Critter

This morning when I woke up and turned on the actinic lights I noticed on my front glass a very tiny (not sure size) but small what looked to be a clear/white'ish rectangular slug like creature slowly scurring down from the top. At first I just thought it was debris stuck to the glass but like I said it started moving. What seemed to be the tail end had like 2 tiny pointed tails on each side. I also noticed another on the right side glass near my powerhead suction cups.

I should have tried taking a picture but i also noticed what looked to be tiny small snails and another tiny green centipede looking thing running around. I was so wrapped up in watching them all i forgot to grab the camera and then whats worse is my clowns I think ate the ones on the front glass when i turned on my PC's.

I tried looking for LR hitchhikers but couldn't find any info. As far as the clear rectangular guy in the center it was a tad bit darker but I dont know if that helps.

thanks.
Old 09/24/2003, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

flatworms
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...postid=1450494
Old 09/24/2003, 10:40 AM
Extreme Reefer

Sounds like an amphipod to me. The snails could stomatella snails. Both are good and given the right conditions will reproduce easily in your tank!

Here is a link to some pictures of some amphipods:

http://web.odu.edu/sci/biology/amphome/

Here is a link to a guys site that has a couple pictures of the stomatella snails: (There are several variations)

http://www.saltreef.com/galleries/snails.htm

FWIW, Nathan

Maximize Flow, Minimize Velocity! Always get a second opinion (and a 3rd, 4th, etc...)
Old 09/24/2003, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

BAHM! Thanks handyman thats exactly what it is! As for the snails I'll check out those links also npaden. thanks for the response guys.

Jason
Old 09/24/2003, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Elim,
these aren't the bad ones, I had these, all I did was kept scooping them out with a net it took a couple of months 2 one night, 3 the next day, 1- 2 days latter, but evey time I saw one I'd scoop'em...I haven't seen one for 2 months now...good luck
Old 09/24/2003, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Well I did some searching and it seems those come about when there are copepods to feed on. As the copepods go so do they so in the mean time i'll just continue to watch for them since they're pretty tiny for now. Plus I think one got eaten this morning by one of my clowns so i'd be down to one if anything.

Thanks again.

Now i just have to figure out what that little green guy was (no not a martian either
Old 09/24/2003, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

lol...I have lots of pods...but if you like the flatworm you will see plenty of them...good luck