Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/11/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

fish compatibility in a 90

Hello every body ! I have a ? about my 90 gallon stock and im looking for help or advice! I currently have a 90 gallon tank some corals my fish are 1 true precula clown , 1 coral beuaty, 3 blue green chromis's,2 yellow headed jaw fish, 1 neon gobie,1 scopas tang. I would like to add 3 lyertail anthias's here some time in the future and was wondering if anyone can tell me if they are compatible with my current stock? or if any one has a similar tank mate situation, my main concern is my yellow heads , and does any think this might be to much live stock for a 90? I am using a euro reef skimmer in a 20 long sump refugium , lots of live rock about 100 lbs in the main display ,with a 5" sand bed . any help or advice is appreciated!!! Thanks m.j.
Old 06/11/2007, 12:37 PM
clams are your friends.

Maybe if you didn't have the Chromis you'd be okay, but I'd be hesitant to add Anthias at this point. Those guys get pretty big and need lots of swimming room.
Old 06/11/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

yeah i would pass looks like your already packed in there... maybe add another buddy for your clown fish..
Old 06/11/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

I dunno, Squampinnas aren't the biggest anthias species. Get females and watch one turn to male. Their presence may keep the chromis schoolinig instead of becoming territorial damsels. On the down-side the jawfish is probably already in fulltime panic mode and will really freak when you add more fish that will hover over the rocks, near his burrow. A cover for the anthias and the jumpy jawfish would be mandatory. If your ER is big enough, and you can keep up with water changes, I'd say go for it. Just don't forget to cover it, or you'll have daily carpet-surfing experiences.

PS Don't buy into the multiple daily feedings for anthias. I have several species, and only have time to feed daily, and occasionaly not at all. Haven't lost one in a couple of years now.
Old 06/11/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

would it be better say to put the anthias in at 1.5"- 2"and let them grow in to the tank? That way it is easier on the bio-load as well as the stress level of the other stock. or does the size matter much when adding new fish to your tank? Thanks for your response!!
Old 06/12/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

If you buy females, I think the choice will be made for you. They'll be in the 2+" range pretty much across the board. Occasionally, you'll see tanks filled with males that have fully tansitioned and are a bit bigger. Just be certain that your water parameters are good and stable, and that you're committed to keeping up water quality. Drip-acclimate them slowly to a dimly lit tank to minimize stress for all. Eggcrate to cover the tank will be an absolute must.
Old 06/12/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the response coralnut I will cover the top. In the next week or so then plan on adding the anthias in ! does the egg crate block any light? I was thinking on doing what JBradley did on his pictures of his 1 year tank anniversery he used larger sized window screen.
Old 06/12/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

I use eggcrate over one of my 125's, and it does keep light from spreading, though it does focus it downward. You will notice a difference. If you're handy, you can but window screen componants at Home Depot, and make an aluminum screen (or two separate ones) frame. You can buy a roll of fruit tree bird netting, and double it to overlap the openings and make them smaller. Use the netting in place of screening, and you have a featherlight tank cover. The only downisde is hang-off hardware. If you use external overflows, etc. The framing can be a little tricky. If you have a canopy that covers three sides, you can just use eggcrate to make a "fence" across the back. hth
Old 06/13/2007, 11:46 AM
saltwater in my veins

That's a whole bunch of fish for a 90 IMO.

I am personally at 6 in my tank, and hesitant to add any more. Anthias are usually recommended for larger tanks as well.. and you already have a tang..

Last edited by HBtank; 06/13/2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06/13/2007, 12:16 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

As always, assuming proper filtration and husbandry, I think you'd be fine adding a trio to that mix. Good God man, 6 fish in a 90?! Yawn... (hopefully the winking smiley will convey my humor.... )

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 06/13/2007, 12:41 PM
saltwater in my veins

They are 6 very pretty fish..

I know, I am such a wimp. My family says the same...

Maybe I can get that chevron tang..

Last edited by HBtank; 06/13/2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06/13/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
As always, assuming proper filtration and husbandry, I think you'd be fine adding a trio to that mix. Good God man, 6 fish in a 90?! Yawn... (hopefully the winking smiley will convey my humor.... )
After a bunch of years of the "minimal fishload" approach, I was starting to yawn at my tanks too. I love my corals, but let's face it, there's more to a reef than just corals. After seeing enough tanks here on RC that are so densely packed with corals, and fishloads that dwarfed even the tanks at the lfs, it started to make me question what I was trying to achieve. I took a step back and realized it could look a heck of a lot better with animation. One of the tanks in my fish room is an lps display that now is home to 7 squampinnis anthias, 2 lamark angels, and a hawaiian sailfin tang. After having nothing more than the Sailfin in that tank for over a year, I have to say I enjoy the tanks a heck of a lot more now. I followed suit with the other tanks, as well as the prop system. About a year ago, I had been to a fellow reefer's house to see his tank for the first time, and the first thing that hit me was the swarm of fish that greeted him as he approached the tank. The tank was stunning on so many levels. That experience was enough for me. I don't know how to insert a smiley here, but I do wear one more often now when I walk in to the fishroom.
Old 06/13/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
They are 6 very pretty fish..

I know, I am such a wimp. My family says the same...

Maybe I can get that chevron tang...
OT, beware the chevron tang. It's one of dirtiest tricks nature can play on you. Only juveniles have the nicely defined lines against an almost blood-red body. By the time they get just a couple of inches bigger the body color fades to a true "poo-brown", and the chevrons are barely noticable. It should be re-named "poo-brown-tang". You'd be hard-pressed to say it was the same fish.
Old 06/13/2007, 01:02 PM
saltwater in my veins

So the question is...

Should I get that purple tang my family begs for every time we go the LFS? I feel myself breaking down...

Old 06/13/2007, 01:05 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by coralnut99
OT, beware the chevron tang. It's one of dirtiest tricks nature can play on you. Only juveniles have the nicely defined lines against an almost blood-red body. By the time they get just a couple of inches bigger the body color fades to a true "poo-brown", and the chevrons are barely noticable. It should be re-named "poo-brown-tang". You'd be hard-pressed to say it was the same fish.
I was joking, lol. I do want a purple tang. I like the yellow as well, and think it would be more suitable for a 80g, but I am going to add a yellow coris wrasse and do not want two solid yellow fish.

I really think my reef is incomplete without a tang, but have tang policed myself and my family pretty well. It would be the last fish I add...

Sorry for hijacking this thread..
Old 06/13/2007, 03:45 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Adult chevrons are black with tiny wavy blue/green pinstripes all over. Very attractive, IMO.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 06/13/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Thank's for the information! SDguy your tank is awsome! coralnut your info has helped alot you can insert smiley icons by going to the top of this page and clicking on post a reply
Old 06/14/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Adult chevrons are black with tiny wavy blue/green pinstripes all over. Very attractive, IMO.
I'm glad to spoke up on this one. It was wrong for me to phrase my response in such a way that the fish should be seen as unattractive. I only meant to emphasize that the chevron undergoes a dramatic color change, and that if you buy it for its' juvenile coloring, you should research this fish first. Much the same way each fish purchased should be researched beforehand.
Old 06/14/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I strongly agree with research and oppinions of others to avoid costly mistakes ! Any advice is good advice if it prevents future kaos in my tank !!!