Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2004, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

Please help me dial in this ETSS 800 skimmer. I'm losing my mind :)

I have been dinking around with this etts skimmer for almost a year now. i am running the recommended iwaki pump on it. i cannot figure out what i'm doing wrong here. i'm getting desperate as i'm starting to get hair algae which i know is probably in part due to the poor skimmer. somebody tell me how to get this thing working. it's either overflowing and spitting out clear water or it's just dry foaming in the tower and i'm getting no skimmate. i've talked to etts at least a dozen times and they've been no helpl. i know there are a lot of people on here using them so i hope you can walk me through this. thanks.
Old 09/20/2004, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

I had the same problem ETSS skimmers. I had an older, very large one that came the used setup I bought. No model number, but has twin ball towers and is 42� high running with an Iwaki 100 RLT. Way too big to fit under a stand and pump was way too noisy. I never did get it to produce dry foam. It could fill the 5 gal waste bucket in a mater of hours. It did this once and uncovered the pump suctions. Almost ruined two expensive pumps and stressed the fish and corals.

I switched to an ETSS Reef devil plus and have the same problem. I have it in the sump with the water level lower than the max. recommended by ETSS. This weekend I tried raising the skimmer relative to the water level. Put 2 pieces of ½� PVC pipe under it. It seems to be working better. Not really dry foam yet, but not producing water either. It’s fairly new so I’m going to let it run this way for a couple of days and see how it does. If I still have problems, I’m going to raise it some more.

I’ll let you know how it does.

Miles
Old 09/20/2004, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

i have mine (the gate valve anyway) about 15" over the water level. I have it on a stand next to the sump.

i can get it to produce dry foam, just no skimmate. if i close the gate valve enough to eventually get skimmate, it's clear and there's no odor to it.

i have tried to set it with the water level bubbling just to the top of the black box, per thier instructions. seems kind of chaotic though because sometimes it wet foams like crazy when starting there and sometimes it does nothing at all. there is no consistent base line to get it started.

keep my posted on your progess. if anyone else has any good tips for running this skimmer, please post them.
Old 09/20/2004, 12:11 PM
Humble Reefkeeper

I've had good luck for the last 5 years with an ETS 700. The ONLY problem I had was when I got a small snail stuck in the water intake line. Check the line from the pump to the skimmer and see if a small snail is caught in there. You should be able to clear it easily. The snail might be in the plastic parts near where the air is introduced.
Old 09/20/2004, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

how do you tune it though? my lines are clear. no snails, although i did get one caught in the skimmer pump intake once. i always check the air output from the skimmate hose to make sure there is no blockage.
Old 09/20/2004, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

This is amazing. I'm battling the same problem (hair/slime) over about the same time period with a copy that I made of that ETSS skimmer.

I have the same problem. It either pumps out clean water, or its dry as a bone. Plenty of foam, but dry on top with no output.

I'm about at my wits end and nearing the point of buying or building another brand.

Tonight I'm going to try increasing water flow and cutting airflow to the skimmer.

I'll keep you posted.

Jeff
Old 09/20/2004, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

you could find a beckett head and slap it on
that should work fine . do a search it's not hard to convert.
Old 09/20/2004, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

It's got a beckett in each intake tower now

That may be the problem these things have. Too much air drying them out.

For me I'll either get to the bottom of it or build/buy a new one. But not before some answers

Jeff
Old 09/20/2004, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

PS did you convert one?? I've heard of many who have. Thats why I put them in there in the 1st place.
Old 09/21/2004, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

deputydog95

I have etss skimmer and like everyone else had similar problem. I found the folks I called from etss helpful and found the following to help:

* place a valve on the return side of the pump (macro adjustment)

* elevate the skimmer

* make sure the return from the skimmer is not obstucted in anyway. I used a stocking on the end of the return to deal with the micro bubbles.

* the level of bubbles (before the unit "kicks in" or starts skimming) should be about 2 inches from the top of the black base or just where the clear column starts.

* use the supplied gate valve on the skimmers return as a "micro adjustment"

I have mine set up as indicated above, the skimmer is not sitting in the sump and the fine adjustment is used to "dial in" the type of skimming you want. The more the valve is closed the higher the water level and the “more� wet is the foam.

I found it very helpful to close the "macro" valve almost all the way when starting the skimmer and then open it slowly until the level backs off, thus not flooding your floor. Once the skimmer settles you can open that valve as needed. Also start with the micro adjustment all the way open.

Your type of stocking, being full length or knee high is your choice...

: )
Old 09/21/2004, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

I adjusted it last night. What I ended up doing was to increase water flow in and also added more bio-balls to the downdraft tubes.

It has skimmed overnight about a cup of good gunk out. I'm going to continue monitoring the output and also play with the initial level adjustment (2" from top of black base.)

I assume you mean 2" below the top of the box right??

Jeff
Old 09/21/2004, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Tocatta:
Thanks for the info:
Here's more info on my setup.

I have a ball valve (macro adjustment) on the return side of the pump.

My skimmer is actually next to and elevated slightly above the top of my sump. The gate valve (micro adjustment) is about 12 inches over the top of the water in my sump.

No obstructions coming out of the skimmer. It goes to a 90 degree elbow and dumps directly into a micron bag to deal with the micro bubbles. I was thinking about thigh high fishnets, but figured I'd wouldn't get enough filtration

I will try starting it off as you suggested. It's kind of tough because of that "boiling water" effect when first opened up. When you get it going it's hard to gauge where to set it because it seems to keep fluctuating. I guess you mean the top of the bubbling water should be about 2 inches below the top of the black box.

What does your skimmer look like when it's running properly. More specifically, what do the bubbles look like in the bottom of the clear riser and then just past the neck where it slims down.

My problem is that if I start the skimmer off low, then it dry foams all the way to the top and I don't get any skimmate. If I start it a little higher, then it usually pumps a bunch of water out. Knowing what yours looks like will help a bunch so I know what to shoot for.

Thanks again.
Old 09/21/2004, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

I run a Super Reef Devil on my 55G Softy Reef with favoriable results. I can say that the first few months or so I started the same frustration was experienced, but once the Skimmer was tweaked I get some nice dark colored Tea which I empty about every third day..

Iwalki RLT 20 with ball-valve between Output and downdraft tube

I removed half the bio-balls, so only have 6 in the downdraft tube

Moved Skimmer unit from in-sump to elevated in-line

Not plug and play - once dialed though more than I expected!

York
Old 09/21/2004, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I run an etss 800 and learned that if you are running the output of the skimmer directly into a 90 degreee elbow, you may be getting a siphon effect. try to T the output after the gate valve with a stand pipe in order to prevent the siphon.
Old 09/21/2004, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

anybody have a pic of thier etts properly tuned an in action?
Old 09/23/2004, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deputydog95

I will try starting it off as you suggested. It's kind of tough because of that "boiling water" effect when first opened up. When you get it going it's hard to gauge where to set it because it seems to keep fluctuating. I guess you mean the top of the bubbling water should be about 2 inches below the top of the black box.

Right, the boiling effect will settle, but first you have to leave the "macro" adjustment adjusted as not to cause the skimmer to overflow. This also the reason for leaving the "micro" adjustment all the open until you get the skimmer to settle. Once the skimmer settles you can open the "macro" to get the right level. If you find you can' t achieve the level (highest), then use the "micro" adjustment which will close off the skimmer forcing water back in which in turn causes the level to rise.
Quote:

What does your skimmer look like when it's running properly. More specifically, what do the bubbles look like in the bottom of the clear riser and then just past the neck where it slims down.

Well, after cleaning the skimmer has fine bubbles about 2-3 inches from the top of the black part of the box or 2-3 inches up on where the clear tube starts. These bubbles fine enough to look very white, as opposed to the clearer "boiling" type larger bubbles. When the skimmer kicks in or starts to skim, the bubbles raise big time up the larger clear tube, then become compacted in the smaller clear part of the neck. Depending on how aggressive the skimmer is set for, that will determine if I am getting the more wet yuckky stuff or the thick foam. I have recently removed near all the bioballs in my sump so I have been skimming a little more agressive.
Quote:

My problem is that if I start the skimmer off low, then it dry foams all the way to the top and I don't get any skimmate. If I start it a little higher, then it usually pumps a bunch of water out. Knowing what yours looks like will help a bunch so I know what to shoot for.

Again, if you use the "micro" adjustment you will be able to "throttle" in the type of foam. Pls remember there are a few other variables to think about. First of which, skimmers don't produce the same type of foam throughout the day. You will see more action at night. Also, your bioload and feeding habits will have a lot to do with whats being skimmed. If I get a chance I will take a pic and try to post it.

-Patrick
Thanks again.
Old 09/23/2004, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

forgot to mention, if you have changing water levels due to evaporation, this will cause the skimmer to change the type of foam since it's water level will also change. I do weekly water changes so I may not have to add water during the week. But I daily check the skimmer and adjust if needed.
Old 09/23/2004, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

I took out my bio balls and plug out one side of the feed and work greet on my 120 with a veyer lite bio load 2 fish
Old 09/23/2004, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

tocatta:
can you repost your replies to my questions?
all i got was my quotes in your post.

as far as the water level, my return out of the skimmer is about 2 inches over the top the sump water, so changing water levels shouldn't affect it. i get a little splashing, but it dumps into a micron bag and that takes care of the bubbles.

any chance you could throw up a pic of yours in action?
Old 09/23/2004, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

take out the bio balls, if you are using becketts
do u have airvalves?
Old 09/23/2004, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

no airvales
Old 09/23/2004, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

you will need 2 ball valves for air control.
Old 09/23/2004, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

no it act like spary injectend
Old 09/23/2004, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

No air valves here just holes to let in air. Dbl. becketts. I have it running quite well now. It is an out of sump setup.

I increased my input to the skimmer and added more bioballs on the 20th. I estimate it has between 1000 and 1200 gph going through it.

Heres pics of it running tonight, and of 3 days of output.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...skimmer923.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...2output923.JPG

The output is about 1 litre over 3 days.

I can already see a difference in the slime in my tank.

Jeff
Old 09/23/2004, 07:15 PM
Moved On

I know you guys dont want to hear this but put them all on ebay and buy a euroreef. I bet you get the Euro to skimm in a mattter of hours.