Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 01:36 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

My vortech quit!

Just like the thread heading says..."my vortech quit on me."
And I only used it for half an hour four times a day on a timer, I can't believe it, it's supposed to be such a great piece of machinery.

In comparison I've had a pair of Koralia #4 and they're still rock'n like a
hurricane. I guess I'm gonna have to bypass the controller now to trouble shoot the thing..."anybody else have this problem

My suggestion from experience, stick with the koralias, they're cheaper , move almost as much water volume and obviously more dependable.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

Where did you buy it? There might be a warranty, before you start tearing it apart.
Mine has run 24/7 for the last 4 months
Old 01/04/2008, 02:48 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

Won it at the C.T.A.R.S. meeting last year, so it didn't come with a receipt.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:19 AM
I'm Not Perfect

Just contact EcoTech (http://www.ecotechmarine.com/ or through the forum here)...they will take care of you from trouble shooting to replacement parts.

I have two running and like them much better than most of the other powerheads out there, especially for the amount of space they take up in the tank (virtually none!).

Keith
Old 01/04/2008, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

haha, get rid of the timer, that can burn out the circuitry fast. full force, stop, full force, stop, full force, STOP haha
Old 01/04/2008, 10:49 AM
I'm Not Perfect

I actually run one of mine on an ACjr set for on for 20, off for 20 all day, everyday. But I don't run mine at full force (two on a 54 corner bowfront at full power would be a little too much, LOL).

You might want to consider purchasing the newer wireless wave driver (still has wires, but can speak to other drivers without wires). Well worth the money even though I haven't spent the money yet .
Old 01/04/2008, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

I'd say get it fixed and ditch the timer. The new Wireless Wave Driver is the way to go. They offer all the control of a timer, and more more more...
Old 01/04/2008, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

benray you suck!!!( Jinx) Now I'm having problems with mine
Old 01/04/2008, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

I had two Vortech break on me the past month. One was brand new and the other was a year old and just upgraded to the wireless driver. I sent the both to Icecap who handles the repairs for EcoTech. Great turn around time, and there tech guy is excellent.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:16 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

why bother if its only on for 30 minutes a day?

JMO, but i would use that as the main pump, and put a different one on for only 30 a day... its too nice a piece to 'waste'

but good luck with getting it fixed!

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/05/2008, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

When I sent one back to Icecap for service, it arrived in NJ the next day with just standard shipping. I got an email telling me what was wrong, and that it was shipped back. Got it the day after. The turn around was really fast. Go to the EcoTech forum here and you should be able to find the email address to contact for service. They'll help you out.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

I shouldn't have said anything. Now my Vortech is acting up. It keeps turning off and all the lights flash on the controller.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:21 AM
I'm Not Perfect

Taking them apart and giving them a good cleaning (even soaking in some dilited muriatic acid or vinegar) can do wonders for them. I know on occasion mine will start to "act up" and after giving them a good cleaning (probably well overdue) they get right back to where they should be.