Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

zoas: how dangerous?

I'm ready to add a coral to my new tank, and I've been told Zoas or mushrooms are a good choice for beginners.

I like Zoas, but I read some warning that they are very dangerous... should I really be worried about this? I just can't imagine they would be suggested to newbies if they were deadly.

Let me know how you feel about it!
Old 01/07/2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

zoas do have toxins in them but they have to be cut open or ingested. so if your not eating them or fraging them you should be fine. i always wear the non powdered examination gloves regardless. i dont like all the worms and little critters in the lr.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Always better safe then sorry. Some people feel no affect as others may be affected from minor to deadly. There have been threads on pets deing after eating some. Just use gloves. Heres a great link for coral care.

http://www.asira.org/caresheets
Old 01/07/2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

i agree with the whole eating thing . don;t eat them. pritty simple. becarfeful when you frag them that no pet are arould to lick or eat them and wash your hands afterwards
Old 01/07/2008, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

they have something called palytoxin, which if i read correctly was one of the most toxic substances on earth. 4 micro grams, is enough to kill you.(but only if consumed, its a powerful neurotoxin) i'd still err on the side of caution with open sores, cuts, when handeling/fragging them* With a grain of salt (1 GRAIN) equalling 60micrograms... Used as a size comparison

i'm pretty sure the measurement was micrograms, but it may be wrong, the numbers however are correct
40lbs LR
Hydor Koriala 2
Maxi Jet 900 Pump Replacement

Click the Red House to see my tank