Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I'm not sure if a waterfall is the best way, I just kinda liked that way.
Old 11/29/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Anytime you involve a water feature that will house fish, then the dynamics of the enclosure change completely and is now called a plauledarium, there is more maintenace involved as with a water feature tha twill house fish and forgs than just frog alone as the water quality woudl now hav eto be kept up a little more.

If you are just looking to ad a water feature such as a water stream or fall then the initial setup is a little more work, but in the end the out come is well worth it in my opinion.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Mike, i did notice one thing while going thru this entire post that i wanted to ask you about...You have 2 holes w/ bulkheads on the tank on page 2. Are those there for air flow/ventilation or was the tank just previously drilled for another use? As far as the water goes, while there would be minimal maintenance required by adding water, it's really not much when you are talking about fresh water and it would probably only total of about 5 gallons max.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Hey Mike,
i think you shoudl give a dendrobates presentation at the next lira meeting!!
Old 11/29/2007, 09:10 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

Asch, those 2 holes are what used to be my overflow so they are left over BUT they were put to good use. There is a very long thread on Dendroboard debating the benefits of recirculating air within the vivarium - meaning not really bringing in new air but just moving the air inside the tank around. I don't know much about the frogs, but my orchids and plants are loving it!

Julio, hmm maybe in a few months but I still have more to learn! Also just got involved the ASN / TWI , it's going to be great to be able to collaborate with other people and maintain our genetics..
Old 11/29/2007, 09:16 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

This is totally not necessary for your standard viv.. but here is what I did:

Get PVC circuit box, cut a hole for the computer fan, screen off the sides so frogs can't get in:

Silicone fan in place so it's airtight, close up circuit box, attach to bulkheads:

Ignore that 3rd bulkhead.. also left over from my old overflow when this was my saltwater tank.
Old 11/29/2007, 10:26 PM
10 & Over Club

A closed loop air circulation system, interesting

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/29/2007, 11:41 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

You know damn well I got the idea for that from reef keeping!
Old 11/30/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

where does the fan actually go? inside that circuit box?? I'll probably hold off on doing the fan for now, but if i were to get 2 small holes drilled in my 40 gal breeder for ventalation, would you suggest one on each end or 2 on the same end? i think i'm going to start picking up some of the supplies and actually start this project soon, but i might as well get it drilled now if i'm going to. So 4 or 5" of screening across the top doesn't offer ernough circulation in your opinion?
Old 11/30/2007, 12:23 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

The holes would have to be connected, this is recirculating ventilation within the tank, not bringing in new air, otherwise the tank would dry out. Competely different function than the 4-5" screen area at the top which is for regular ventilation. Fan is inside the circuit box and must be sealed on every side or it won't work in a closed system.
Old 11/30/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Mike, do you suggest that i put in ventalation other than the top screen? i'm leaning toward not doing it for a few reasons, mostly the added expense of drilling the holes and putting in the bulkheads. If down trhe road i felt i nmeecded a little air in there, couldn't i just aim a cheap fan down on the top?
Old 11/30/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

I only have the screen and my tank is just fine, if you needed more vent you could just cut your glass shorter and make the screen larger.
Old 11/30/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

that's kind of what i was hoping to hear...that makes sense...thanks!
Old 11/30/2007, 07:08 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

Your tank will be fine with just the small screen area on the top. I am just fond of going 'all-out' and I keep a lot of orchids that enjoy the moving air.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:40 AM
10 & Over Club

Been reading the Dendro Board a bit. Seems that some people add springtails and isopods to their vivarium in the same sort of way we use pods and clean up critters in our reefs. This is going to be more interesting than I thought

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/01/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

I'm not positive, but I think your vivarium should be over a certain size to culture in it, I don't think people culture in small tanks such as 10-20 gallon, I could be wrong though.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

the size doesn't really matter, the spring tails and isopods will culture in teh right condition no matter what the size, i keep spring tail culture in deli cups, as long as they are provided with food and shelter, that is all they need, but they will get picked off by the frogs and might be there long enough to reproduce and have a good population.
Old 12/01/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

right, thats what i meant, in a small tank such as a 10 gallon tank they probably aren't going to have much shelter from the frogs to be able to reproduce very well.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Hey Bill,
how is your daughter's tank coming along?
Old 12/02/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Yours too constantine, have you gotten anywhere with your tank?
Old 12/03/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

I started cutting the egg grate andgetting the basic setup for my 40 gallon tank. I am really happy with how it looks and with my planning so far. I am ordering a bunch of stuff today from 2 different online stores and hopefully will be able to do even more next weekend. Here isw my 1 big question: I have the front 1/3 of the tank which is going to be approx 3" high of water and will house tetras. the question is, do i have that 3" of water in the entire tank and just have the back 2/3 not visible (except from the sides) or do i use plexi-glass which is already cut and basically have the water in just the front 1/3? I'm trying to weigh the positives and negatives of both and my biggest concern is whether i can properly contain the water in just the front 1/3 with the plexi-glass and seal it up well? I'm inclined to just have the entire tank filled with approx. 3" of water and feel that might just be the easiest way. Opinions, please?

Thanks!

Andhy
Old 12/03/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

I started cutting the egg grate andgetting the basic setup for my 40 gallon tank. I am really happy with how it looks and with my planning so far. I am ordering a bunch of stuff today from 2 different online stores and hopefully will be able to do even more next weekend. Here isw my 1 big question: I have the front 1/3 of the tank which is going to be approx 3" high of water and will house tetras. the question is, do i have that 3" of water in the entire tank and just have the back 2/3 not visible (except from the sides) or do i use plexi-glass which is already cut and basically have the water in just the front 1/3? I'm trying to weigh the positives and negatives of both and my biggest concern is whether i can properly contain the water in just the front 1/3 with the plexi-glass and seal it up well? I'm inclined to just have the entire tank filled with approx. 3" of water and feel that might just be the easiest way. Opinions, please?

Thanks!

Andy
Old 12/03/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Hey Andy,
if you are looking to house fish, you really need to cut off the front area as a seperate section. other wise you will have the water table at 3 inches through out the entire tank, and your daraining system with the egg crate wont' really work!
Old 12/03/2007, 01:35 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

Well if he makes the eggcrate / substrate 3" high also, then it should be fine to have the water table at that level throughtout the tank ? This way he has more water volume and the substrate is high enough to not be affected. I've never done that before so not sure..
Old 12/03/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corpus Callosum
Well if he makes the eggcrate / substrate 3" high also, then it should be fine to have the water table at that level throughtout the tank ? This way he has more water volume and the substrate is high enough to not be affected. I've never done that before so not sure..
well if he wanted to have the entire bottom full of water, he'd want to have some way to drain the water out above the 3" and have the false bottom 4" off the bottom, that way anything that drains won't overflow the bottom and just sit in the substrate..defeating the purpose of the false bottom