Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

question on a cartridge filter

I am in the middle of setting up a new tank and have some stuff laying around.I have 2 Ocean Clear Filter system.Are these good to use in a reef or will they deplete all the micro food for the filter feeder.
Old 10/30/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 10/30/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

I dont know that product but with cartridge filters it seems to be a HOB (hang on the back) power filter. If you tank isn't drilled for a sump then you would have to stick this on the tank. Cartridge filters are normally just filter floss woth some carbon behind it. Those will be fine to use. The carbon will deplete quickly so its best to change monthly at a minimum. Many times, cartridge replacemnts are to much money to make this system cost effective. If you are stuck using power filters, I would cut the filter foss or sponge off of the plastic cartridge housing then buy bags of replacemnt filter floss (it comes in rolls at petco) and cut them to fit over your plastic cartridge. You can then secure them with rubberbands. This is much cheaper. The carbon can be thrown into the power filter (behind the cartridge)in a mesh bag and be easily changed out.

As far as filtering out pods. I wouldnt worry about it. Some will inevetably be lost.

I think you will be fine with running these filters.

I would certainly highly reccomend a skimmer for this setup. You will remove larger particles with the mechanical cleaning from the fpower filter but you need a skimmer to remove organics and keep your water clear. Good luck
Old 10/30/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I just had my 150 gal tank drilled with 2 overflows for my sump which has a skimmer in it.I wanted to put a lower filter to filter the bottom end of my tank.The return will be behind my live rock to remove any sediment on the rocks.This filter is more on the line of a pool filter but made for a fish tank that you run in line with a pump.
Old 10/30/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Here is a pic of 1
Old 10/31/2007, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 10/31/2007, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

I have a few Ocean Clear filters, so I guess i can speak a bit from experience. I originally purchased my first OCF back in the mid 80's for a reef, and I still have it. It came with a second canister used for a trickle system (air supply, etc.-a bit complex to get into here). It worked as part of my overall system, the corals and clam grew well, and now it is on the same Oceanic aquarium that now houses my discus. I've had to replace one of the canisters, changed a few things around, but other than that it still works, only on a freshwater planted aquarium now.

I would suggest using a sump system for your saltwater setup for the long haul. It makes life a bit easier and challenging water parameters a lot more convenient to maintain. A sump will also allow detritus to settle out/be pulled out of solution, much what the OCF would do for you.

Now, would it be a bad thing to have? No, it would still work fine for pulling fine particulate matter (to include the little critters) out of the water column, and you would have to keep up with the weekly cartridge cleaning (I have four of them I rotate, rinsing, bleaching, and rinsing again for use). This would preclude having a buildup of the nasties and having it become a nitrate sink. The OCF also provides a convenient method to use a carbon or resin treatment (in a bag in the center of the pleated cartridge), forcing a large amount of water through the material.

I hope I've provide you a bit of information to work with. If I can be of any more help, don't be afraid to ask.

Cheers,
Ray
Old 10/31/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Thanks I was just going to use this one to filter the lower end of the tank.I would be using two pumps instead of having a bunch of sump pumps stuck to the glass.I have a bunch of pumps laying around.One of my 90 gals started leaking at like 3 am so had to throw a tank together and didn't have time to plumb things like I would of wanted.So I have a closet full of stuff that has never been used yet but will be going in my 150gal tank.
Old 10/31/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Ive also had them on FO tanks in the past. The problem is that the filters, either the pleated or the poly discs, have alot of surface area and dont have to be cleaned all the time. But that means they can potentially become nitrate producers.
I think that the easiest particulate filtration to deal with is either the poly pads that sit on the drip tray of sumps if you are using an old style sump that could be used for Bio -balls (Im NOT suggesting use of Bio Balls, just the drip tray if you have that type of sump). Or, better yet, using filter socks/bags. These are both really fast and easy to change out twice per week or so to avoid them contributing to nitrate problems.

My sump is an old style that came with the drip tray. I converted it to hold two filter socks on a sliding acrylic plate so I can easily change the filter bags out which I do atleast 2 times per week.

If you are looking for a way to actually pump water out of the tank and through the canister filter, then obviously my suggestions wont work. They both work by filtering the overflow water.

You may be better off by just increasing circulation in the tank which will help keep detritus and food suspended so that it will make it to the overflow. You can then filter it with a filter bag or pad. Placing powerheads or prop pumps or directing closed loop outlets behind the rock work really helps to keep stuff from settling back there and helps keep it suspended.
Old 10/31/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

My wet dry has a pad tray in it where the water drains down threw bio-balls.But I made a acrylic tub was going to mod it to be Refugium with a 1in drain pipe to a filter sock.