Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2006, 02:47 PM
How YOU doin?

With 3720 out of 20,000 frames completed, it's over 1/6 done. I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you using th escreensaver client? That might have something to do with the completion time it's reporting.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 11/05/2006, 08:52 AM
How YOU doin?

Milestone

Milestone:
CTARS - 50,000 points
RokleM - 300,000 points

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 11/10/2006, 10:45 PM
How YOU doin?

Milestone

Milestone:
Slicktrax - 10,000 points

Old 11/11/2006, 09:23 AM
How YOU doin?

Milestone

Milestone:
DirectPhish.com - 1,000 points

Old 11/11/2006, 10:13 AM
Moved On

how can some people have 5 done and under 600 points yet otehr s have 4 done and over 1000
Old 11/11/2006, 10:46 AM
404 errors turn me on

Quote:
Originally posted by goda
how can some people have 5 done and under 600 points yet otehr s have 4 done and over 1000
Lots of small low point work units vs a few really big point ones.
Old 11/14/2006, 09:53 PM
How YOU doin?

CTARS just moved up to 9th place.

Old 11/15/2006, 04:51 PM
How YOU doin?

It looks like thrlride will be the first person to fold more points in November than in October.

Old 11/16/2006, 07:46 PM
How YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoestring Reefer
It looks like thrlride will be the first person to fold more points in November than in October.
He did it, and so did FishGameRock!

Old 11/20/2006, 11:37 PM
How YOU doin?

Quote:
He did it, and so did FishGameRock!
And Cowcio.

Old 11/21/2006, 02:22 PM
How YOU doin?

Quote:
And Cowcio.
And CTARS!

Old 11/25/2006, 10:46 PM
How YOU doin?

Milestones

Milestones:
Cowico -10,000 points
Bill T-S - 70,000 points

Old 11/26/2006, 11:15 AM
How YOU doin?

Milestones

Milestones:

Rueg - 10,000 points
DirectPhish.com - 2,500 points

Old 11/26/2006, 12:36 PM
Shai Dorsai!

I'm on the dual-core bandwagon so now I'm folding with both cores. I have FahCore_82 running as machine id 1 and machine id 2. How do I get them to run in background so they aren't killed when I close the window? Also, can they both have the same user name?

-Andy
Old 11/26/2006, 08:06 PM
How YOU doin?

They can both have the same user name.

To have them run in the background, run them as a "service". I believe you do that when you install it by selecting "install as a service" but I forget the exact wording. There's probably a way to make an existing program run as a service (since you already have it installed) and you can see your services in Windows XP by right-clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then in the pop-up window selecting "Services and Applications."

It's also recommended that you use the "local" flag when running two instances of folding. I do it by creating a shortcut to the folding application, and in the "target" field typing in " -local" at the end of the text. The space before the "-" is important, I think.

It looks like this:
"H:\Program Files\FaHConsole1\FAH504-Console.exe" -local

I'm not sure how to run it as a service and run the local flag at the same time. I'm also not sure how critical the local flag is, but it's one of those things that "everybody does."

Old 11/27/2006, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

I got on this last night and have 1 whole work unit (yeaaa!).

will the members list be updated anytime soon? how do you know how many points you are getting?

I am working on getting another computer online for this, one that can do nothing else. Great stuff.
Old 11/27/2006, 05:10 PM
Shai Dorsai!

Thanks. I've got the -local setup. I'll look into running them as a service when I resolve the other issues I have with the dual-core like Elements 4.0 not working with the dual core.
Old 11/27/2006, 06:33 PM
Shai Dorsai!

Seems to be running as a service, FAH was running again after I rebooted. But now one is FahCore_82 and the other is FahCore_78? I created both the same way so why does it keep switching from _82 to _78?
Old 11/27/2006, 07:56 PM
How YOU doin?

A "core" is the program that does the actual number crunching. The folding program (either console or graphical/screensaver) takes a work unit and, depending on it's type, uses a core to run it.

"Amber" work units use core 82. Right now I'm working on a couple of Ambers, they are 153 pointers that take FOREVER so my points per day go way down, but they both have to do with collagen floding and things like Osteogenesis imperfecta and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. So it's cool.

Gromacs use Cores 78, 79, 7A, and A0. I'm working on a Gromacs that seems to study the folding process in general.

Old 11/27/2006, 08:01 PM
How YOU doin?

New Member:
Agnes

To The Reef Central Folding Team

You can check out stats here: stats They are based on what you've submitted so far, with a time lag - the web site updates every 3 hours. There are more links on the first page of this thread.

Old 11/27/2006, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

So how do you have 2 computers running at the same time for the same name? I just started a desktop that wasn't being used. It can run all the time on folding. It shows my name but not any work units or progress which is on the laptop. And explain it so I can understand it enough to do it please, I just use these things I don't build or fix them.
Thanks
Agnes
Old 11/28/2006, 07:26 AM
How YOU doin?

It sounds like you did it correctly. If it's two seperate computers, just install folding on both, and have your user name (and team number!) on each one.

I use the console version. Each program won't show the total WUs I have turned in, just the WUs for that particular installation of folding. I think the graphical version is similar, but if you wait for it to finish it's first WU and send it in, it might give more updated information.

I'm folding on 3 computers, and all are set up with the same user name - CTARS, it's the name of my reef club. Some other people fold under CTARS, too. According to Stanford's site, the name CTARS has been used by 5 processors in the last 50 days. One of my folding programs showed about 144 WUs completed last night, the other showed 142. The total for CTARS is well over 300, so I have to check one of the statistical sites to get the whole picture.

Old 11/28/2006, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

That's what I did, my name and the team number on each. They are working on different jobs. I have another computer I can get going too.
I can't compete with you but I can do my part. How did you learn about this?
Old 11/28/2006, 08:00 PM
How YOU doin?

About a year and a half ago I built a computer. I spent a lot of time on some computer forums, and some of them had folding teams. I folded for one of them for a while, then realized that RC is a huge site with thousands of users, so it would be cool to get them on board.

As far as competing, that's just to try to make it fun and encourage poeple to stick with it - I have it on a few computers, but only one "fast" one.

Old 11/28/2006, 08:14 PM
How YOU doin?

We're about to be passed!

We've slowly but surely moved up to about 291st place (depending on which website you look at) but are about to be bumped down to 292 by another team - but it's a cool team that's passing us...

A short while ago, Stanford made it possible for people to fold on certain ATI video cards - the X1900 video cards only. I don't have one (theu're $$$), but ATI has a bunch (since they make them) so ATI and a bunch of ATI users have been folding on the "ATI Technologies" team. They're racking up about 300,000 points per week.

More info here if anyone's interested. It's sort of cutting edge and they're working out the bugs so I can't really recommend trying it yet, but I wish I could give it a shot.