Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Help Needed

Hello everyone hopefully you guys can help me. I have a 29g mixed reef and 2 days ago I noticed little patches of hair algea on some of rocks. The tank consists of mostly sps and I also have 3 clams, so cutting down on my light would proably not bee good for the corals. Water params are Ca-450, Alk 3.5, Mag-1250, Ammonia and nitrite are 0, Nitrate below 10, Phos-0. Lighting 6 bulb t-5 fixture all bulbs are less than 2 mths old. As for flow I have 2 Korilia #2, 2 powersweeps 160 gph each, Skimmer and hob filter running carbon. My question is what can I do to get rid of H.A. before it gets out of control? Sorry so long.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

guess i am lucky becuase my tang, angle and scarlet hermits do the job for me. i think some most those are still hit and miss. not sure of a small fish that will do the trick sorry but maybe someone else does.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

I had hair algae that got out of control and all I could do was cut the light in the tank and the it finally went away. It started to come back and I added 10 astrea snails and one turbo snail and they are keeping it under control. I also reduced running my metal halide (175Watt 10K) from twelve hours to 8 and added some atinics lights and so far so good! Good luck!
Old 01/04/2008, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

How many hours are your lights running.....your corals should be fine with a couple hours a day until the algae gets in check...in nature the corals go days without sunlight due to storms and cloudy conditions.

Also cut back on food and supplements.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

you can also change your carbon out, when my tank started to get a little bit of hair algae , i realized that my chemi pure bag was old and i changed it out and then in a couple of days it started to go away. also you can try so purigen.
just my 2 cents
Old 01/04/2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I'm currently running the lights for 7hrs. As far as feedings go I only feed twice a day. The only things that I have done different is added some of dt's plankton would this be the cause. If so is it because phosphate problems. My test reads 0 but could be bad.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

The DT's will contribute to the problem for sure. Also the feedings. Try cutting back to once a day.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

Water source and Flow are the main reasons as well as overstocking a yough tank. Also didnt see any CUC listed. SPS like more mature tanks.Not that you couldnt have one just so many so soon.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...opmistakes.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view
Old 01/05/2008, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Start using RO/DI if you are not.
How many fish do you have? Also, what kind? Many fish only need to be fed once a day and can often go a day without.

As far as a CUC, I use turbos and margaritas.

What test kit are you using?
Old 01/05/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Cut back the feeding and cut the DT's totally for a little while + water changes.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Holy smoke Lance, you've been posting a little bit! Lol.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

ya he can post but he cant seem to show up for a meeting.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

As far as water goes I buy the water from the water house on trawood, I believe its ro/di. For fish I have a yellow coris wrasse, clown wrasse, yellow watchman, fire dartfish. CUC about 5 blue legged hermit and 5 zebra crabs, 3 red legged, 1 ateraes snail, 3 margarita. I will cut back on feedings and will stop using dt's. Thanks for all the advice.