Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Not sure where to put this(Brackish Questions)

Ok As you all know i am Obsessed with fish, 6 tanks running in my room and another setting waiting to be set up kinda proves that! Im seriously considering a Brackish tank, i want a lil figure 8 puffer! he will be the only fish in the tank, its going to be a 10g tank. Im starting it for 2 reasons A) i love puffers and (B) i have a MASS AMOUNT of Rams horn Snails, getting to be TOO MANY and BREEDING LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!! so i figure built in food source. but as always i have a few dumb questions. I know what Brackish is Slightly salt 1.009 SG etc etc etc what i need to know is this.

1) Do i set it up More like a SW tank IE live rock,Live Sand, Power head etc Or do i set it up more like a Freshwater with a HOB filter?

2) Using Instant Ocean How Much Salt Per Gallon for Brackish? it says 1/2 cup per gallon for Full on Saltwater but doesn't say for Brackish?My Hydrometer broke so i cant really test.

3)Any Things i need to watch for or beware of in a brackish tank?

Im sure ill come up with more questions but thats it for now

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 01/04/2008, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

No one keeps a Brackish tank?

Old 01/04/2008, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

haha im here. give me a second. im gonna give you all the info you need just read it
Old 01/04/2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kydsexy
haha im here. give me a second. im gonna give you all the info you need just read it
Cools! im only planning on 1 figure 8 puffer btw!

Old 01/04/2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

so first things first. brackish water for a figure 8 puffer should be between 1.005-1.008 as they are found more into freshwater environments. buy a new hydrometer before attempting to keep them. im gonna recommend a small amount of large grain sand (anything larger than sugar fine will be ok) and that you introduce a few real or fake plants for cover.

a 10 gallon will be too small for them. i'd recommend a 15H which is the same footprint, its just a few inches taller, this does make the difference with these little guys. although there are figure 8s that reach 3 inches and some that reach 7 inches. use caution.

puffers also feed on mollusks, earthworms, brine, and krill. they have thinner shells. do you have any pics of your ram horns? i'm sure the puffer won't discriminate lol, just make sure it doesn't consist of his entire diet.

there are plenty of websites devoted to figure 8 puffers. just do a google search
Old 01/04/2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
so first things first. brackish water for a figure 8 puffer should be between 1.005-1.008 as they are found more into freshwater environments. buy a new hydrometer before attempting to keep them. im gonna recommend a small amount of large grain sand (anything larger than sugar fine will be ok) and that you introduce a few real or fake plants for cover.

a 10 gallon will be too small for them. i'd recommend a 15H which is the same footprint, its just a few inches taller, this does make the difference with these little guys. although there are figure 8s that reach 3 inches and some that reach 7 inches. use caution.

puffers also feed on mollusks, earthworms, brine, and krill. they have thinner shells. do you have any pics of your ram horns? i'm sure the puffer won't discriminate lol, just make sure it doesn't consist of his entire diet.

there are plenty of websites devoted to figure 8 puffers. just do a google search
The one i am going to get is the SMALL one if it DOES happen to get bigger than 3 inches i have a friend with a 55g tank that will take it, last i knew it was a brackish tank.i am more concerned with the Stye of set up, is it more like SW with Live rock etc or more like freshwater with HOB filter?

Old 01/04/2008, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

No pic but they are a Brownish red shell and the shell is thin almost transparent in places.