Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 12/26/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy QT Problem

I could use some help. I have been losing fish in my QT and I can’t determine what’s causing this. I am purchasing them from a reliable FS and they appear to be in good health when I purchase them. The QT is a BB with only PVC pipe for hiding. After about 5-7 days the fish start to show slight cloudy spots on fins and eyes. I was told to try a medication for flukes (PraziPro), the fish just got worse. I them switched to a bacteria treatment no help. I currently have only three blue damsels in the tank. The conditions are as follows:

Salinity 1.016
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ppm
Ammonia 0
Ph 7.7

The salinity is low because I thought I would try HYPO Salinity. The PH continues to be low and I continue to adjust it. Can low ph cause death like this?
Old 12/26/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Is there a reason for the hyposalinity? If it is for a specific condition, you have to make sure you lower the salinity down over a couple days.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Agreed. They should start out at normal salinity for a few days, than drop it. How do you acclimate them into the QT when you purchase them?
Old 12/27/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

I began dropping the salinity when the meds failed. I am aware that I need to drop the salinity slowly. The only fish left in the QT are three damsels. I am going to return the salinity to normal and wait for this tank to acclimate. The problem started when my 50g qt sprung a leak the day after I purchased these new fish. I had to purchase a new 40g and I used water from my main tank and transferred the filter from the cracked tank but I think allot of the biological filtration may have been on the old tank surfaces. I am going to wait and see when this tank is fully acclimated before I purchase anymore fish. What is strange about this new tank is I didn’t see an ammonia spike but the Nitrites never went to zero. The Ph remained low (7.7-7.9) unless I used a buffer. I examined the flame angel that died yesterday and I did not see anything that looked like flukes or ick. The only noticeable thing was tail rot and color fade. I really think this was caused un-established tank.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:03 PM
Mother won't be happy

What size tank is the QT and what fish have perished?
Old 12/27/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

did you change water at least 2~3 days? poor water quality may build up in QT tank.

if your main tank free of disease, I'll suggest to use your main tank water to change 1/8 ~ 1/4 water everytime.

it's also benefits the new fish to get used to your main tank water.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Neptune,

The original QT was a 50g. The new one is a 40g. The fish that perished were a Naso Tang, Scotts Fairy Wrasse and a Flame Angel.