Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

I used purple up to get my coraline to grow and it sure did. I dised a cap full a night untill the bottle was gone. By the last capfull there wasnt one rock not completly covered in purple and green coraline...
Old 01/04/2008, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

I believe that iodine is needed for the coraline to grow as well.

What makes you believe that?

from my understanding which could be wrong coralline algae is a type of corallina sp. which you state in one of your articles as uses iodine.

believe what they are trying to accomplish with the fine aragonite is so that the calcium in the mix will sink with the aragonite onto the rock work so it is more readily available to the coraline to use

How is coralline going to use the calcium in it if it does not dissolve?

there is calcium in the liquid I belive as well not just aragonite? would the calcium bond to the aragonite and sink to the rock surface and then be resolved and consumed by the algae?
idk it seemed to make the corline in my tank grow. it had never really grown well before I had used this. could just be something else happened in the tank as i was adding this that made the coralline grow. any who i am still using the rest of the bottel and it keeps growing so might as well use it up sincei i have had no ill effects from the use.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
CowDoc09:

The Kent two part is likely a fine way to go, but bear in mind that there have been no independent confirmations of the components of any of the commercial two part systems.

Adamc1303:

This article details how folks use limewater:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm
After reading the article I have a question. Do you know if I use the Tunze Osmolator on a 90 gallon tank, is the tunze pump that comes with the osmolator to strong of a pump? The article says that it is used with float switches but it also says that the use of pumps and powerheads isn't that great because the pumps are often to powerful.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

usually with this you would use a peristaltic pump becuase the constant on/off would wear down a pump that would traditionally use an impeller. you can also use a aqua lifter pump. or use gravity to feed. use a float valve "NOT THE KENT ONES" the out of water valves and hook it to a 5 gallon bucket above the sump and use gravity. I will be an auto top off as well as a kalk drip.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:27 PM
Reef Chemist

from my understanding which could be wrong coralline algae is a type of corallina sp. which you state in one of your articles as uses iodine.

Green algae uses it, but apparently doesn't need it. I harvest lots of macroalgae and have plenty of coralline, and have not supplemented iodine for many years.

there is calcium in the liquid I belive as well not just aragonite? would the calcium bond to the aragonite and sink to the rock surface and then be resolved and consumed by the algae?
idk it seemed to make the corline in my tank grow. it had never really grown well before I had used this. could just be something else happened in the tank as i was adding this that made the coralline grow. any who i am still using the rest of the bottel and it keeps growing so might as well use it up sincei i have had no ill effects from the use.

Since it is not know how much ionic calcium is in Purple Up, I wouldn't use it to boost calcium.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

i dont, i use kalk and 2 part to keep my levels up. i didnt think this was even marketed to boost calcium. it says to use no more than 5ml in 24 hours.
it also says that it doesnt contain coralline algea...srry boxfishpooalot kinda kills your idea. i would have to agree with your thoughts randy on the phosphates attaching to the araginite.
Randy i was thinking. now if this were to land either on coralline algea and feed the algea with phosphates are there also any other by products from the algea processing the phosphates to make the ph go down in that area enought to desolve some of the araginite? probibly not but its just a thought.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:10 PM
15 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
I do not know if it does anything useful for coralline algae or not, but it is not a good way to boost calcium alone. The main ingredient, fine aragonite, will simply not dissolve in seawater. Even if it did, any significant boost in calcium would boost alkalinity too high.

Long ago I publicly challenged manufacturers to show any reef aquarium known to RC members that had its calcium and alkalinity supplied solely by such a supplement (like Aragamight or Kent Liquid Reactor). No one came forward.

I believe that iodine is needed for the coraline to grow as well.

What makes you believe that?

I believe what they are trying to accomplish with the fine aragonite is so that the calcium in the mix will sink with the aragonite onto the rock work so it is more readily available to the coraline to use

How is coralline going to use the calcium in it if it does not dissolve?

Sounds like a certain chemist doesn't believe in magic..

2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 01/04/2008, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

By all means use the bottle! Just add a bit a few times a week until it's gone. If you think the tank likes it, buy some more. If you didn't think it did anything, then don't.

I've added aragonite (aragomilk variations, including purpleup) for many years. I've always felt it couldn't hurt.

That said, I don't use it to adjust water chemistry. If you probe your tank as I do, you'll notice arag products just don't measure.

Cheerio.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:38 AM
Addicted to the Reef

use it,

it raises CA and mag
essentialy it is kalk slurry ( which use on a lr tank at work after teh sample of purple up ran out

step 1
add kalk to water
step two add mag to water
step 3 shake and use lol ( no fish in system so cant hurt

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 01/05/2008, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Maybe spoke too soon - "Aragomilk" calcium precipitation event!

Yesterday I suggested you use the bottle of purpleup. This morning I recieved an email from a friend who has dosed Aragomilk every other day or so since establishing his 65gal reef a year ago.

After dosing this morning with Aragomilk, his tank precipitated calcium, burning his fish (especially scale-less fish) and causing a mess in his tank and sump.

I admit, I'm stumped. I'd thought these products were nearly harmless in small doses.

He doesn't amend alk and calc in his tank. Further, and curiously, his bottle of aragomilk had hardened, as they do. He shook vigorously and added tap water before shaking more, then adding to his tank. Any ideas about whether or not this was the wrong thing to do?

I've suggested he measure his alk and calc levels. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, he's performed a 15% water change and vacuumed calcium precipitate away.

Erik
Old 01/05/2008, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

First thing it will not burn the fish. second his mag is low, if you have high amount of cal and alk there gets to be a point where you have to much and calcium carbinate or bicarbinate, not sure, percipitates out of the water to make the system sustain high levels of cal and alk his magnesium needs to be boosted.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:49 PM
Reef Chemist

Aragamilk adds next to nothing to the tank. The aragonite part is totally useless as a calcium or alkalinity supplement. It also can mislead test kits if it is suspended in the water.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

So let me throw the question out there once again.

What “over the counter” products would YOU use to maintain and raise Alk and CA?
Old 01/05/2008, 06:22 PM
Generic Member

Over the counter? Kalkwasser, 2 part products such as ESV B-Ionic.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:20 PM
Reef Chemist

I use limewater for calcium and alkalinity, and MAG flake to boost magnesium in my new salt water..
Old 01/06/2008, 01:55 AM
Premium Member

I use Kent Tech A and B in terms of "over the counter." Depending on the size of the tank, though, you'll find it's an expensive solution -- but easy and safe to use. It also adds many of the trace supplements that complement calc/alk dosing.

There are less expensive means to mix your own, but if I guess right, you'd like a solution (literally!). A balanced solution set like Tech A/B will work for you.