Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers

Old 12/30/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Please need a little help !!!!

I need a little help, I bought a brand new 135g tank,stand,canopy, never seen water for a really good price in HB, I bought it from a girl who was selling it for her dad, As I was picking it up we got to talking and she informed me that her dad had a stroke and need the money to help pay bills, and didn't have the capability to set it up, I met the dad, really super nice guy, he had a hard time speaking, but he loved the tank, it was just to big for his apartment as he was moving to a new one on the first floor that was going to be smaller, I decided to give him my 75g corner tank,stand,canopy with lights and a XP3 canister filter, I want to set it up for him mid February. Does anybody want to help and donate some live sand or Live rock or couple of used power heads, maybe bring some premixed water to get him started, I told the daughter what I wanted to do,she told her dad, he was real excited about getting a tank. I could use any help from LS,LR,Water, or help setting it all up, so if you can spare some time or anything you think I'm missing please let me know, let's let him get the thrill we get from our tanks, I'm sure it will be well appreciated,

Rich
Old 12/30/2007, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

what a nice thing to do...
Old 12/30/2007, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Rich you are a good person, however I don't think helping him setting up a tank is a good idea, since he had a stoke and need money to pay the bills.

As we all know, reef or fish tank cost alot to run ( electric ), also it's requires alot of work and time, a person in need of cash and had a medical problem I don't think it is a good idea.

Anyways, i do have some heater, powerhead and few other stuff if he wants them.

Maybe a small 12-20 gal nano tank would be perfect for him IMO.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:23 AM
Premium Member

I am down with powerheads, I could kick in some birdsnest, some gfo, gac, kalk, calcium chloride and bicarbonate... like up to 1/2 pound of each

you know what you are getting yourself into? you will probably need to do maintenance too
Old 12/30/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

I think he's more on a limited buget, the cost to finish putting the 135g all together would have been tough, I was thinking more on the lines of a FOWLR, something a little easier to maintain and easier on the pocket book, I can show the daughter and her husband how to do change the filters and do a small water change. If not I can go down and do it once a month until he gets better,I was thinking a 200w heater will work, and 2 power heads, I live in the Corona/Riverside area and work in Rancho Cucamonga area, I can meet somebody to pick up what ever you wished to help with,
I really appreciate your help, Thanks again

Rich
Old 12/30/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

If its FOWLR, I have a wet/dry you can have......its pretty big, I think it will be more then enough for a 135g...might help keep the maintaince level down.....and depending on the size of return pump you use, might not even need powerheads......
just a thought
Old 12/30/2007, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

I have some live rock and a little sand, posiably more. I can also donate some leather frags.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Your heart is in the right place, but he probably isn't in a good state to own/maintain an aquarium anymore. It's a ton of work, even for a person who didn't just have a stroke. It would burden him I imagine.

Maybe a fishbowl or something simple. Something that won't burn down his place if neglected.

Cheers
Josh
Old 12/30/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

I figure nothing beats the mental therapy a tank has on us all..also good physical therapy for the father...Having to take care of something wont let him dwell on his situation..Just my 2 cents..
wannareef1 what your doing is awesome...
I know its not alot but i have some plumbing i can donate..pvc, check valves, ball valves,elbows...vynle as well...3/4" and 1"
some Kent products i dont use anymore.. i can throw in a couple of poly-filters..
I have some timers liying around as well..
small bio-balls if your going wet/dry
Pm me with your address and how your going to plumb and i will put the parts together and ship...also let me know if you need any of the things i listed..
Jerry
Old 12/30/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

That is very kind of you to volunteer your time and give him your old tank. I can donate some live sand and seeded water from a water change to get him started I am in Westminster so I am close to HB drop me a PM I have a bit of a hectic schedule but can arrange time for picking up if I have some notice.

"You go inside the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, shark's in the water ... our shark. Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies . . ."
Old 12/30/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I called the daughter and told her of my plans, and what I wanted to do, this is a reply I got from her.

Hi Rich...

First off I want to thank you for your sincere generosity and kind words. My dad is THRILLED at your gift. He would love to have a fish tank and have his dream come true. I told him that I would give him your email address so that he can thank you on his own.

I am running around like crazy trying to get New Year's activities organized. May I call you after the first of the year??

My dad would absolutely love to take the tank, the only thing is we need to wait about one month for his move. This way when you come down to set it up, we don't have to move everything. He will be moving apartments January 31.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your generosity! As I told my dad after receiving your voicemail...there truly are good people in this world.

God bless you.
Sabrina

I will get more information for us when she calls after the first of the year.

Thanks Again for everybody's help

Rich
Old 12/31/2007, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

wow what a way to bring in the new year...
Old 12/31/2007, 03:20 AM
Premium Member

stroke is not always the end of everything. a year ago my mom had a stroke, she was wearing diapers and eating baby food just like my 1 year old was. we can laugh now because, from all indications, she has made a full recovery.

and then there is my ex father in law who we thought had not recovered from his stroke after 5 years he stopped drinking wine constantly from a 40 oz soda cup... turns out he was about 80% recovered, just always drunk
Old 12/31/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I don't know if it is a good idea to set up a tank on hes condition probably not dude!
Old 12/31/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Why not set up a fresh water system? That would be a lot easier. He would still have a tank but 1/4 the maint.

I live in Anaheim and I'm sure I could throw some stuff together. But I think what I have to offer has already been offered. Pm me if you end up needing more.

Have a great new year.

Julie