Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2004, 06:31 PM
The Notorious Reefer

Good god, that is one organized and beautifull handcrafted aqaurium....

That's all I can say!

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 01/09/2004, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Lets see if it works.... Thanks for the Resizer! But heres my anemone!

Travis
Old 01/09/2004, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Ok well, the image is way small.... But it wont let me go any bigger. Guess i need to find a place to host my pictures. Oh well gives you a idea.

Travis
Old 01/09/2004, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

electric130: Yep, I agree completely. Gorgeous and it's coloring up even more everyday. It also ate a whole shrimp (from the grocery store, not the tank) the first day so this is promising.

jurnaza: Glad I could be of some help and your idea sounds like a good one.

Travis: Unless it's in harms way I would leave it be and see how it does. As you may have read above, I forgot to mention that I like to feed them right after I move them to help them "think" they landed in a prime spot. Wait until it's inflated again with its tentacles out. I buy fresh shrimp and freeze them and then take out a few, clean, thaw and halve and feed the anemone as well as the serpent star every week or so.
Your photo is a little too small to see detail but I'm assuming that's him at the tail end of the clown. If so, that looks like a good location if there's not too much current.

lebowski: Well, you said plenty and I appreciate that.

Joseph
Old 01/09/2004, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Not the greatest but here's an updated full tank shot;

Last edited by Skipper; 04/04/2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01/09/2004, 11:03 PM
ZAO

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! Job well done my friend.
Where in Cali are you located?
Old 01/09/2004, 11:46 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Weatherson,

Ok it took far to long to read this thread, can you please sign your book deal and get it over with LOL

I'm am in total aww and wonder...You are truly a perfectionist of design and by design. Wonderful work and OUTSTANDING Attention to Detail!!!

Now I'm off my small 180 Propagation room to poke at my water and wonder why it's not 4 times the size
Old 01/09/2004, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

oh, my..... looks great. How many mh's are over that now?
Old 01/10/2004, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, that looks awesome, ooohhh the colors! Is that 4x250 now? , or is it just different lighting for the camera. The blue carpet looks sweet, and I still can' t get over the size of that frogspawn.
Old 01/10/2004, 01:43 AM
Premium Member

surfy: Thank you very much. I'm in Fresno (Central Valley).

minfinger: Thank you very much for all the kind words. I'm pleased you enjoyed the thread and you are to be commended on your reading perseverance.

pete_ra: Actually, it's the same 300 watts (2 x 150) MH and ~800 watts VHO. Thanks though.

willra: As above, same lights, different photographic skill level. Unfortunately the sharpness of this photo is lacking some but the color pops as it does in real life. Now if I can achieve sharpness AND color accuracy, I'll be set. Some day it will happen but I'm counting on the 700 additional watts of MH to come through for my photographs. Thanks for the comments of kindness.

Joseph
Old 01/10/2004, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

An update.... The anemone is now fully Expanded with my male clown just laying in it... they both seem happy! He moved over night to the back. I dont mind as long as they are all happy. Your tank is very awesome looking! Your Blue Carpet is a good size and color, im sure its also very happy lol. Honestly if i were you i would not change a thing . I have more pictures i could send you through email, but i dont want to take up your time. I cant get over how far your tank has came ! BTW My mother has fell in love with starphire tanks Maybe a new Custom starphire is in my near future haha (I doubt it lol). Anyways Great job on the tank... I love it!

Keep up the good work!
Travis
Old 01/10/2004, 07:47 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Reefrunner: I'll try to post some more info on the tank in my gallery thats listed in that link over the weekend and perhaps give a few more pics and put some text to some of them so you can fully understand how that system works. While I agree it looks cool having 4 20 gallon surges going on a tank, I think the same environment probably could have been created using a few Tunze streams.

Weatherson: Yea, right now they are aimed down just for the time being, but he's going to be putting some 90degree elbows on all of them and directing water in just about every direction imaginable. I'll let him worry bout the rest of it, I've gotta finish a lighting truss for his new online tanks and I get a bit of a break from building things and get to take care of my own stuff. As for the McIntosh amps, I left em at my parents house when I moved away from so cal around 8 years ago, and I keep forgetting to grab them every time I'm down there. Eventually I'll bring them back to life for sure, I just need to remember to bring them back to Nor Cal next time I go south. BTW. very nice carpet. I love blue carpets, but fear keeping one. I personally know only one person that has had one alive for any length of time, and 3 people who have had a total of 10 of them die on them. Yours is looking really good though.
Old 01/10/2004, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Did you get a chance to check alk. to & from the Ca. reactor's second chamber?
Old 01/10/2004, 10:21 AM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Weatherson,

I took me 2 days LOL
Old 01/10/2004, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Joseph, That is a really nice carpet. My LFS has those in regularly, a bit pricey, but a very nice addition to a great looing tank. I am just glad that I dont have to drive 3 hours like you do to get to a great LFS.
Nathan
Old 01/10/2004, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Travis: I'm pleased to hear your anemone is doing better. As I said before, ultimately, they will do as they feel fit. But expansion and the fact that your clown has taken to it are both good signs. Thanks for the compliments.

spanker: I look forward to seeing Eddie's new system next time I'm up there. If your amps are of similar heft to mine (75 lbs. each!!), it's no small feat in transporting them. Realizing blue carpets are more difficult to keep than others, I plan to do everything I can to provide it with the best possible living enviroment. Sometimes this is just not enough for certain species but with the longevity of my green carpet and a better system than the old 65, I am somewhat confident. The green carpet would still be with me if not for an accident involving a temporary sump during the tank transition. It was over three years there prior to this tradgedy. I'm cautiiously optomistic.

salty joe: Since I'm more of a monitor the inhabitants than the chemistry type of reefer , my test kits are a little long in the tooth. I'm waiting for replacements for more accurate readings. Sorry, but I wil post my findings as soon as they arrive.

Nathan: Thanks and it good to hear from you. Are you still with the MBA?

Joseph
Old 01/10/2004, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

I shot this photo for another thread but thought I would share it here too. It's looking down the center valley between the two rock formations. I can remember being able to see the back glass through there just not too long ago.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/04/2004 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01/10/2004, 06:14 PM
Moved On

We SoCal folks should find someone with a van and make a road trip to see this wonder
Old 01/10/2004, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

You know ill be with this thread till the day it ends. Saying that i have another question lol... The anemone Moved agian... This time into the Cave where the clowns spend 95% of their time. He is Deep inside but i can still see it and the male swimming in it. Yes hes fully expanded. Im a bit worried because there is no light and very little if any current in there. Now to the question, Will it be able to move out of the cave if it pleases? I have found the Ultimate spot for it but i just need to direct it there. Im a bit curious to how they move also, any comments on that?

Thanks as always
Travis
Old 01/11/2004, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

nanocat: Group visits only require a frag per person as an entry fee.

Travis: As long as the anemone was able to get in there on its own and the opening hasn't changed, it can get out on its own. As far as how they move... there are a couple of means. If their foot is attached and they need to move a short distance, they will "walk" using the bottom of this foot, not so different from a snail. If very unhappy with their location, they will let loose, deflate and float in the current.

Joseph
Old 01/11/2004, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by weatherson
[B]nanocat: Group visits only require a frag per person as an entry fee.

What if i dont have a frag? LOL... That shot is a nice shot of the valley. The corals in the valley have grown . good job!

Travis
Old 01/11/2004, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Absoloutely incredible tank!
Old 01/11/2004, 10:47 AM
Reefer

WoW!
Old 01/11/2004, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Joseph, I am still at the MBA. We have a great shark exhibit opening April 2. Let me know when you want to come over and visit the aquarium, I can arrange tickets for you and your wife.
Nathan
Old 01/11/2004, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

ahhhh, connections ...........