Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Temperature control question

Hello,

I had a quick question about temperature control and was hoping to get a few opinions. My tank has been set up for about 5 months now and everything is going great with the exception of my tank temperature. I'm having a hard time keeping it stable and I'm not sure why. I was originally using a 300 watt heater to heat my 75 gallon +25 gallon sump. Depending on the temperature of my house, my tank temp was falling by almost 3-4 degrees (over the course of a day) which can't be good for the corals in my tank.

I recently added a second 300 watt heater to try and stablize the temp. So far so good but I'm wondering if it would be worth investing in a controller (like the Aquacontroller Jr) to keep the temp even more stable.

Is it possible I kept my heater to close to the other pumps which caused the temperatue gauge to get faulty readings and not heat the tank enough?

Should I spend on the money on a controller like this or should I look for other solutions?

Other important factors: I live in Wisconsin so its pretty cold here during the winter and I run 6 VHO 48" lights over my tank (with no top).

All feedback is appreciated - thanks!
Old 01/06/2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

I have a Ranco dual phase temperature controller that I got from a seller called kooltanks on Ebay. I use it for my chiller and heater. It does not do as many things as an AC but it cost less.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

3 dgree shift per day is fine,,,but no more than that,,,try to put the heaters in the overflow that works great for me.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:01 AM
Soul of a Sailor

There's nothing wrong with a 3-4 degree change per day or even twice that. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

any more thoughts?
Old 01/06/2008, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

greenbean is right about the temp swing, now if it gets worse you may want to invest in a controller, the acjr's are nice but if temp is your only concern you can just get the temp controllers alot cheaper as carmijo mentioned
Old 01/06/2008, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

I kinda had the same problem. I also had about a 3 degree shift from night to day.

Now with my ACjr I have it controlled down to .6 degree shift.

If you just want to control your heat or AC the the Ranco is the way to go. If you want to control more, than the ACjr (or other controller) is the best bet.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

I vote with CarmieJo on use of a ranco controller. The control mechanism on heaters is subject to failure. From diving, I noticed a mild temperature swing night to day but not one that is on the order of 3 degrees or more. Maybe ok, but that is not what nature provides. Now season to season, I have seen significant temperature swing but that is over many days/weeks.

~Steve~
Old 01/06/2008, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Another vote for Ranco. I find mine to be very accurate. Also it recovers well after a power outage. I tried an Aquamedic controller, came home one day and the water temp was in the sixties. My water temperature now is very consistent and less of a worry.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:49 PM
Master of Funk

I would never trust a heaters built in temp gauge...not any more. My heaters have NEVER shut off or turned on at the right temps. Its simply not worth the risk to trust them.

Plus, if you decide to leave the hobby, you can almost get what you paid for a controller on the used market because people know they are a valuable tool.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:58 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
From diving, I noticed a mild temperature swing night to day but not one that is on the order of 3 degrees or more. Maybe ok, but that is not what nature provides.
Where were you diving? Fluctuations are the norm on the reefs. It's been documented that half of the yearly variation can happen within a minute. When I was working in the Bahamas my buddy had 8 degree changes in under 15 minutes on his loggers. I had several nearly instantaneous 3-6 degree changes while I was measuring single quadrats.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

I bought a 400w Theo and the built in thermostat didn't work at all. I bought a Ranco and now everythins's fine.
Another benefit is if you have more than one heater you don't have to try and adjust them to the same temp.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Ranco user here too!!
Old 01/06/2008, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I got my Ranco off ebay for $40.
It was one of the best things I have bought for my tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
Where were you diving? Fluctuations are the norm on the reefs. It's been documented that half of the yearly variation can happen within a minute. When I was working in the Bahamas my buddy had 8 degree changes in under 15 minutes on his loggers. I had several nearly instantaneous 3-6 degree changes while I was measuring single quadrats.
I am a diver also. My last trip was to Grand Cayman. There are lots of wall dives there and you can easily hit thermo climbs. Just a change of a single degree was shocking. Of course, if your heater goes on or off the change will be more gradual.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Can anyone send me a link to a Rancor temperatue control unit? There are a bunch on ebay and I'd hate to buy the incorrect one.

Thanks!
Old 01/07/2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

This is the single stage. It can only control heating OR cooling. http://cgi.ebay.com/RANCO-ETC-111000...QQcmdZViewItem

This is the two stage. It will turn on your chiller or fans if it gets to hot. Then turn on the heater if it gets to cool.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RANCO-ETC-211000...QQcmdZViewItem

When I bought mine it came with a waterproof titanium thermistor. So you might want to look if the thermistor is water proof.

Last edited by reefergeorge; 01/07/2008 at 11:58 PM.