Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

ATO... RO/DI or Kalkwasser?

I'm wondering what is best for auto top off additions. I'm adding about 1 to 1 1/2 gallons a day of RO/DI due to evaporation and am considering buying a ATO system. Of course, I would like, hope, to make this purchase one time. I don't have enough of a calcium demand at this time that I need to do Kalc additions, adding two part is still sufficient. I am concerned that if I get a Kalc reactor as part of my ATO, I would be adding too much calcium. I can envision that I may get to the point that two part isn't enough and would end up adding Kalc as make up. Would be interested in some opinions. Thanks!
Old 01/09/2008, 09:13 PM
King of the Tank!

I’m using a Tunze Osmolator and a ReefTek Kalk reactor and have had zero problems. I used the Osmolator without the reactor for a while then added the stirrer later on. Can’t say enough about the Osmolator and how reliable it has been!!

HTH

Jay
Old 01/09/2008, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Did you have the Osmolator feeding from a storage tank and then put the reactor in line later? How did you add/plumb the reactor in later?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:08 PM
King of the Tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by tcollins
Did you have the Osmolator feeding from a storage tank and then put the reactor in line later? How did you add/plumb the reactor in later?
Yes. The blue line is from the pump to the reactor. The red line is from the reactor. I just had the blue line go directly into the sump where the red line is now when using it without the reactor.

Jay
Old 01/09/2008, 10:20 PM
Generic Member

I would (I do) use Kalk topoff first, then supplement with 2 part if it is not enough. You dont need a reactor. You can just mix it in the topoff container.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

sjm817, can you over Kalk a tank if it's all you use for top off?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:30 PM
Generic Member

It is possible. If something went wrong with the ATO and way too much topoff was delivered, it could be an issue. A dependable ATO system is definitely part of the equation.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

So you don't think 1 to 1 1/2 gallon a day of Kalk drip would be too much?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:40 PM
Generic Member

No. Kalk strength can be adjusted. 2 teaspoons/gallon is max saturation. You dont have to use that much. If your tank has less demands, use less. I use 1 tsp/G.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:45 PM
King of the Tank!

I have used this system for about a year and have also started to supplement calcium. The kalk keeps the alkalinity within parameters but calcium slides. I should say that I’m also using an AC jr which monitors the Ph and controls the stirring pump on the reactor. If the Ph gets above 8.3 then no stirring. So far this has only happened in the summer months but the water still runs thru the reactor. I like the Osmolator with the reactor because it only adds about a cup of RO/DI water at a time and I’m evaporating about 2 gallons a day.

HTH

Jay
Old 01/09/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Just a matter of testing Alk/CA and adjusting the top off accordingly. Thanks!

As an ATO is a neccesity, I'll get that first and then add the reactor like jmait769 did. Once there I'll supplement with the two part.

I've already had a percipitate incident using both Kalk and two part and don't want to do that again. Had to clean everything under the tank and haven't scrapped it all off some spots in the tank. Luckily it happened before my eyes and I was able to do a water change and didn't lose anything. I think my MG levels were to low.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:51 PM
Generic Member

Every tank is a little different. Mine seems to use more alk than ca. I have to boost the alk every once in awhile. I use a Reef Fanatic dual level controller and an Aqualifter pump with a 44G Brute for a topoff container. It works out very well. The float switch is sensitive so it only adds a very small amount at a time, maybe a few oz. I evaporate ~ 2G in the Summer, 3G in the Winter.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Is the Osmolator only adding a cup at a time because you have it on a timer? or is this a function of the unit itself?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

You can disregard my previous response, I understand this is a function of the ATO that it only adds enough to close the circuit on the sensor.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:01 PM
King of the Tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
Every tank is a little different. Mine seems to use more alk than ca. I have to boost the alk every once in awhile. I use a Reef Fanatic dual level controller and an Aqualifter pump with a 44G Brute for a topoff container. It works out very well. The float switch is sensitive so it only adds a very small amount at a time, maybe a few oz. I evaporate ~ 2G in the Summer, 3G in the Winter.
I wish I had the room to add a large RO/DI holding tank but for my next (larger) tank I dream of a separate fish room!!

The sensor for the Osmolator is located in my return area of the sump. So it evaps a certain amount and then gets replenished. If the area was larger then it would add more due to the amount evaporated for a given volume of water. I hope I’m saying that clearly! Here is a shot of the sensor:

Jay
Old 01/09/2008, 11:06 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
I wish I had the room to add a large RO/DI holding tank but for my next (larger) tank I dream of a separate fish room!!
I couldn't begin to tell you how much I LOVE having a basement sump, fish room. Room for a large ATO is just one of the many nice things.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the close up of the sensors, it was where I was planning on locating mine. I am also thinking it is where I'd put my ATO feed to the sump as the return pump would disperse it with good flow. When I start feeding through the reactor, it would also help cut down on the buildup on the other pumps in my sump.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

I'd love to put a sump downstairs also, just don't know how to approach the neigbhors about it though.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:14 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcollins
I'd love to put a sump downstairs also, just don't know how to approach the neigbhors about it though.
LOL. Just tell them you are giving them a FREE fish tank, and you will even maintain it for them.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:22 PM
Team RC Member

I just dump an unregulated amount [roughly a pound] of kalk into my ro/di reservoir [32g] with the topoff pump for my sump situated on a grid halfway up from the bottom [down there the slurry collects]. I evaporate 1 g a day or more from my 54g, and after 'setting' the amounts for alk, cal, mg, in my tank manually by dosing, I am happy to report levels are proper and steady as set after a couple of weeks of this untidy quasi-machine running. With the addition of 10 more gallons of ro/di every week or so to the "Frankenreactor" it stirs the slurry up to combine with the ro/di and keep the level up. So far so good. [I also have a basement sump---but I am pretty sure you can do exactly what I have done in a 7g salt bucket with a lid and hole to let the hose out.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.