Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy nipping fins.?

Was taking some pictures today of the tank and noticed one of my clownfish has nibbles taking out of his fin. Will this ever grow back.?
Old 12/05/2007, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

They should grow back fine. My fish that have been nipped at in the past normally have a full recovery, as long as they are not stressed by anything else in the tank. When this happens with my new additions to the tank I normally just feed a little extra garlic and it seems to make them get better faster LOL, may just be my imagination though!!! LOL
Old 12/05/2007, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

garlic and my skimmer dont mix......use to add 2-3 drops of garlic with my food and skimmer went bonkers for days.....
Old 12/05/2007, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Really? I don't have that problem, I mean my skimmer "skims" like crazy anyways but I never had it act funny or over react after adding garlic. I have to clean mine every two days with the amount of gunk build up I get. What skimmer is it? I am using MRC MR-2 dual injected.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

ASM G2 Protein Skimmer
after I feed, the skimmer starts to overflo and will not quit. So I stopped using garlic
Old 12/05/2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Wow I have never had hat problem after I feed my skimmer stops skimming for a bit then starts back up a couple minutes later.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

what I do after it starts overflowing.....I clean it out real good and turn it back on this way its only overflowing clean water then after a day or two it slows down.......way to much work for me....so NO MORE GARLIC"
Old 12/05/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

I would say try some melafix but then I know for sure your skimmer would go berserk, my skimmer went crazy when I added some to my tank
Old 12/05/2007, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bckane
ASM G2 Protein Skimmer
after I feed, the skimmer starts to overflo and will not quit. So I stopped using garlic
I have the same skimmer, it does skim more after feeding but not to the point to overflow maybe your water level is too high. I have mine set to skim dry (like a light coffee) if I would set it to skim wet (like tea color) it would overflow for sure, my tank is a 90 and I have to empty the cup every 5 days.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Great picture by the way.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing.............Nice Picture

Getting up in the morning sucks, but it beats the alternative.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:43 PM
FMAS Webmaster

I agree that your water level is probably too high. The oil in the garlic will kill the bubbles for a while. If there is resistance in your output pipe the bubbles may actually be keeping the water level down. Then when there's no bubbles... flood. Make sure your output pipe is clear and has a siphon break. For example, if the output includes a 90 degree elbow, replace it with a tee that's open on top.

MelaFix will definitely make your skimmer foam like crazy. If you read the instructions, they tell you to turn off the skimmer. I got around that by putting a valve on the air line and reducing the amount of air in the mix. But you have to be careful or else it will overflow. It's great for helping fish recover from fin damage, though.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

How do you add garlic? Are we talking about crushing cloves of it, or the jars of garlic in water, or the jars of garlic in oil? Do you just soak food (pellets, nori, mysis) in it? Any help for a newb is appreciated.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FleeVT
How do you add garlic? Are we talking about crushing cloves of it, or the jars of garlic in water, or the jars of garlic in oil? Do you just soak food (pellets, nori, mysis) in it? Any help for a newb is appreciated.
Im talking about...Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme
Old 12/06/2007, 10:42 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Interesting that your clown's upper fin is a missing just a little with no known cause, other than a guess that he's getting picked on. My clown is missing the same part of the same top fin, no other damage otherwise, and I can't tell why his fin is damaged to begin with, as the only fish that occasionally chase each other is the dottybacks and angels. Well, regardless I hope he does fine and makes a full recovery
Old 12/06/2007, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Its weird, seems if another fish was nipping at him they would go for the tail fin.? The tail fin looks fine, I never seen another fish chasing him at all. Maybe its just growing that way the clown is about 3 years old...plus he is the smallest fish in the tank, except for the 2 new ones
Old 12/06/2007, 01:27 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Yes, it is usually the tail fin. That's why it bothered me as well. Weird that both clowns got it at the same time. My clown I've had for about 2 years now. Mine lives in a torch coral, and never gets chased or bothered. Mine is the smallest as well, aside from a goby who lives in the other side of the tank. Closest colored fish is the Rusty Angel, but I've never seen the angel pay any attention to him... ::hmmm::
Old 12/06/2007, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefWreak
Yes, it is usually the tail fin. That's why it bothered me as well. Weird that both clowns got it at the same time. My clown I've had for about 2 years now. Mine lives in a torch coral, and never gets chased or bothered. Mine is the smallest as well, aside from a goby who lives in the other side of the tank. Closest colored fish is the Rusty Angel, but I've never seen the angel pay any attention to him... ::hmmm::
All my clown fish stay in the xeina.....the other fish dont go near it. I will have to start taking a look now and then
Old 12/06/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

My fishes fins have always grown back, tails also!