Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2007, 09:15 PM
Slowly growing gills.

My Yumas are spreading!

I got some Yumas about two months ago and they are spreading like crazy! One rock has tons of small yumas all over it, and the other two rocks I have are slowly getting covered in little yumas as the bigger ones crawl around over the rocks. Every little piece of flesh that gets left behind turns into a whole new Yuma. I think keeping my flow around 30X turnover and redirecting my Hydor Koralias every couple of days is doing lots to help spread these guys.

Just thought I'd show some of my babies.

This rock is covered in babies

Old 08/13/2007, 12:20 PM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

Wow, I wish mine would spread like that. I've had bad luck with getting them to "breed".

I am a proud member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS). If you're in the Maryland area check us out!
Old 08/13/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

do you have any flow directed right at them, or are they out of the direct flow protected by rocks?

Jim
Old 08/13/2007, 09:53 PM
Slowly growing gills.

just enough flow to make the edges curl up. They tend to move to a slightly more protected spot. As they move, some pieces get left behind and form new polyps. In the last picture you can see a good shot of what I am talkng about. The bottom Yuma has left behind a pretty good chunk as it moved and that will likely turn into a new Yuma in the next few weeks. I have been slightly readjusting my powerheads every week or two.
Old 08/13/2007, 10:11 PM
Moved On

I have noticed if shrooms arent happy they will up and move and leave babies the whole way.
Old 08/14/2007, 12:19 AM
Slowly growing gills.

Exactly. Just have to be careful not to freak them out.

Regular feeding and careful water quality monitoring is crucial if you start messing with these guys.

I noticed this happening because my tank has more flow than the Yumas would really prefer. I try to avoid blasting them with a powerhead, but still get lots of flow to them.

I keep all my mushrooms and rics in enough flow to make their tentacles move and occasionally curl up a corner of one.

Looks like tall grass swaying in the breeze.