Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/02/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

bta questions

the tips of my BTA are turning white, the rest of it is still green but not as bright as when i got it.. it was in 1 place for about a week then it decided to move and when onto my anthenia (sp) rock so i had to use a powerhead to get it off a few days ago, is it just white b/c it's pi**ed off? is there anything i can feed it to get its colors back? i feed it the other day some mysis and didn't know if it ate it or if the clown got it so i feed it some small pieces of silversides and this mornin i found a ball of mysis floating around, could the BTA spit it up? what would cause this, any ideas? thanks in advance
~ Jim
Old 06/02/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

What kind of lights are you using?
How much mysis did you feed it?

My recomendation is to leave the anemone alone! Let it go where it wants, and if it is close to other corals that you value, move them not the anemone. The anemone will go where it wants.

I find it best when feeding my anemones to drop small pieces onto the tentacles, the anemone with eat what it wants and let the rest go. I usually take a turkey baster and squirt some mysis on him. If you feed it too much it will release solid food in the water, if you feed it just enough, it will release more of a digested slime.
Old 06/02/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

i couldn't move the corals the bta was on them! its been in where it is now for 3 days or so, i used a turkey baster also but i couldn't tell if the nem got it or the clown was eating it all so that's why i put some silverside on it.. i have VHO lighting wich is what it had with the previous owner
Old 06/02/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

VHO is kind of vague. How many bulbs, Which bulbs, what kind of reflectors? A BTA should be able to adjust to VHO lighting. It may just be annoyed that it was moved and I would just leave it alone.
Old 06/02/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

2 bulbs 210watts, no reflectors AGI bulbs, antic and a 50/50.. most of its tips are deflated now, is there hope for it or should i take it out?