Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/02/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Percula clownfish: do I have potential hosts?

I am thinking about getting a Percula and I am wondering if either my frogspawn coral or Condylactis gigantea might serve as host.

Pictures of the coral and anemone are at this link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ale.rugg...ey=ioz8cRivlwQ

Thanks!
Lithy
Old 06/02/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

I would not recomend either as a host, however your clown may take up in the frogspawn. It could do damage to the frogspawn, it just depends on how aggressive the clown is. I would wait a few months to a year for a hosting anemone if you just started in april. A percula would be fine without an anemone for that amount of time, or its entire life. Just curious, what kind of light do you have on your tank?
Old 06/02/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

The anemone and the frogspawn are already in the tank (~1 month) and doing well. I was just wondering if the percula I plan to get next month may like either as a host. Even though the percula will be fine without a host, it would be cool if it hung out in either.

Are other types of clownfish less aggressive than percula? How do I select a non aggressive one?

Also, what would you recommend as a Percula host?

The lighting is pretty strong. 250W x2 MH + 64W x4 actinic.
Old 06/02/2007, 10:32 PM
Slowly Stocking

Percs are usually pretty gentle with anemones as far as I know...however, that appears to be a Condylactis anemone, in which case there's a risk that it will eat your clown should it choose it as a host.

Clowns of any variety hosting in a frogspawn have been known to damage or kill it, but plenty of people have had success.

Check the red house.